Thread Tools
Dec 06, 2018, 02:58 PM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
Discussion

Arrma Typhon BLX 3s announced-


Looks like Arrma has the next version of their 4x4 line - they have given it the \Backslash treatment, and released it as a 1/8 buggy -

https://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/typhon/blx/4x4

Compared to the other BLX3s, it looks like other than the obvious body/wing/tires, the only thing new here is new front and rear lower suspension arms, and some 17mm hex adaptors. I am guessing arm change was to get the extra width to take it from the SCT 295mm of the Senton to the current 306mm. Front shock tower looks a bit ugly to me, and I wonder how that plastic will hold up to tumbles and rolls... But other than that, it looks like a great 1/8 basher ebug. $300, and it will perform great on 3s! Could be a great budget basher... As always, time will tell...

Introducing the ARRMA TYPHON 4x4 3S BLX (1 min 22 sec)


ARRMA Typhon 4x4 3s BLX | In "First-Winter-Test" (1 min 48 sec)


ARRMA TYPHON 4x4 3S BLX // Under The Hood (1 min 2 sec)


ARRMA TYPHON 4x4 3S BLX // BMX TRACK ATTACK (1 min 30 sec)
Last edited by JerryRigged; Dec 06, 2018 at 03:05 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2018, 04:00 PM
The Mad Titan
DC1138's Avatar
This looks killer. I need to sell a few of my Traxxas vehicles to make room for a few of these Arrma 3S rigs.
Dec 06, 2018, 04:20 PM
Registered User
Is planning to release a Kraton 3S? anyone knows?
Dec 06, 2018, 04:31 PM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
Before any of the BLX3s trucks were released, there was a Kraton/Outcast BLX4s leaked that used this same 4x4 chassis. But - the expected release date was July/August - which was about when the first BLX3s trucks were released.
Dec 08, 2018, 02:16 AM
Registered User
Panhead5496's Avatar
Very cool looking for sure...not sure if any 1/8 3s buggies are on the market right now priced at $300! Should be a good seller.

For me though, I'm still stuck on the fact that you can get a v3 6s Typhon on Amazon/eBay/etc for $449, just $150 over the BLX3s. I would rather save a bit more and get the 6s I think; but then again batteries come into play there, a single 3s pack is much cheaper than 2 2s, 2 3s, or a single 4s/6s.

Decisions, decisions lol. I will wait and see what the reviews say about this one. Vas over at AussieRCPlayground already got a BLX3s Typhon and he needs to hurry up and get some running videos
Dec 10, 2018, 09:18 AM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
Yeah, the same can be said for the BLX Granite, or the BigRockCC BLX... not that much more $$...

But then comes buying 6s batteries. And you can't get away with cheap batteries with those 1/8 trucks. Then you need a big wattage charger. Tire cost more, and die quick. The costs add up quick.

For the Typhon BLX3s ( and the other 3s trucks) you can be by with a 50w-80w charger, a mid level 2s or 3s battery, tires will actually wear out, rather than blow out on run 3... etc...

Personally, I have my Typhon BLX6s v1, and love it. I don't know that I would buy one of these 3s Typhons now, but if they had been out when I was first looking for a 1/8 buggy, I would have been all over it.
Dec 10, 2018, 10:36 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
Very cool looking for sure...not sure if any 1/8 3s buggies are on the market right now priced at $300! Should be a good seller.

For me though, I'm still stuck on the fact that you can get a v3 6s Typhon on Amazon/eBay/etc for $449, just $150 over the BLX3s. I would rather save a bit more and get the 6s I think; but then again batteries come into play there, a single 3s pack is much cheaper than 2 2s, 2 3s, or a single 4s/6s.

Decisions, decisions lol. I will wait and see what the reviews say about this one. Vas over at AussieRCPlayground already got a BLX3s Typhon and he needs to hurry up and get some running videos
i have the 6s, but only ever run it on 4s. on 4s its sick. i wouldnt be able to control it no 6s ( i am not a good driver). i agree, for the 150 dollars more, its worth getting the better electronics if you can swing the difference. it is technically 1/3 more expensive
Dec 10, 2018, 12:28 PM
Car Bashing
Jym73's Avatar
Quote:
And you can't get away with cheap batteries with those 1/8 trucks. Then you need a big wattage charger. Tire cost more, and die quick. The costs add up quick.
Yes, the 1/8 are more expensive to use and for maintenance also, even if arrma cars are tough, we, me at minimum, ask maybe more from them . It is nice to have a car which is fast on 3s only also (out of the box the BLX 3s are faster than a Kraton on 4s), imo they aren't built to be use with more cells, they are already fun and durable as they are on 3s.

They will be also more cheap to upgrade, like wheels or shock absorber.

I like the battery tray size on these chassis. Big enough to accept big 3s batteries which are often big when they are cheap. These chassis can accept easily 1x 3s big battery when my kraton can't accept two of these with same size to reach 6s.

The smaller size allow to play in smaller bashing spot also. With a 6s basher we need large aera to be able to use all the power of the 6s.
Dec 10, 2018, 12:39 PM
The Mad Titan
DC1138's Avatar
You guys have to keep in mind what these 3S rigs are for. They aren't meant as a "cheap" version of the 6S platform. They're designed to compete with other 1/10th scale products, mainly Traxxas. The fact that this buggy is considered 1/8th is purely because it's dressed with a buggy body, no different than the Traxxas Rally which isn't really a 1/10th when given the rally body.

Yes, a 6S Typhon is "only" $150 more than the 3S. Well, when you consider that extra $150 can get you a charger and two batteries for the 3S where as the same for the 6S could run $250-$300 extra. you're suddenly looking at $450 vs $700/$750 to get either one running. That's a big difference. Look at it this way;

Typhon 3S = $300
Senton 3S = $300
Charger/Two batteries = $150
TOTAL = $750

So, you AND your son/daughter can be racing at 50 mph with each other for the same price as one of you running a 6S rig.

Plus, you need something in-between the brushed starter stuff and the 6S stuff, that's just business 101.
Dec 10, 2018, 01:42 PM
Registered User
Panhead5496's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryRigged
Yeah, the same can be said for the BLX Granite, or the BigRockCC BLX... not that much more $$...

But then comes buying 6s batteries. And you can't get away with cheap batteries with those 1/8 trucks. Then you need a big wattage charger. Tire cost more, and die quick. The costs add up quick.

For the Typhon BLX3s ( and the other 3s trucks) you can be by with a 50w-80w charger, a mid level 2s or 3s battery, tires will actually wear out, rather than blow out on run 3... etc...

Personally, I have my Typhon BLX6s v1, and love it. I don't know that I would buy one of these 3s Typhons now, but if they had been out when I was first looking for a 1/8 buggy, I would have been all over it.
Yeah the thing I see as being the biggest deciding factor is batteries. I have some good 4s set ups, but not really any 6s packs. A few 3s packs that are good by themselves, but don't match and couldn't be run for 6s together.

For the guys who already have a good charger, good lipos, and room to run it, then the 6s BLX is probably worth the extra cost. If someone is just getting started then this 3s is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekim
i have the 6s, but only ever run it on 4s. on 4s its sick. i wouldnt be able to control it no 6s ( i am not a good driver). i agree, for the 150 dollars more, its worth getting the better electronics if you can swing the difference. it is technically 1/3 more expensive
How fast do you think the 6S BLX on 4s is compared to the 3s BLX speed wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jym73
Yes, the 1/8 are more expensive to use and for maintenance also, even if arrma cars are tough, we, me at minimum, ask maybe more from them . It is nice to have a car which is fast on 3s only also (out of the box the BLX 3s are faster than a Kraton on 4s), imo they aren't built to be use with more cells, they are already fun and durable as they are on 3s.

I like the battery tray size on these chassis. Big enough to accept big 3s batteries which are often big when they are cheap. These chassis can accept easily 1x 3s big battery when my kraton can't accept two of these with same size to reach 6s.

The smaller size allow to play in smaller bashing spot also. With a 6s basher we need large area to be able to use all the power of the 6s.
I agree, like I said above the biggest factor here is lipos I think. For someone who has 6s packs then it's worth the extra cost...but if no 6s packs, then it may be worth getting the 3s as batteries will be much cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
You guys have to keep in mind what these 3S rigs are for. They aren't meant as a "cheap" version of the 6S platform. They're designed to compete with other 1/10th scale products, mainly Traxxas. The fact that this buggy is considered 1/8th is purely because it's dressed with a buggy body, no different than the Traxxas Rally which isn't really a 1/10th when given the rally body.

Yes, a 6S Typhon is "only" $150 more than the 3S. Well, when you consider that extra $150 can get you a charger and two batteries for the 3S where as the same for the 6S could run $250-$300 extra. you're suddenly looking at $450 vs $700/$750 to get either one running. That's a big difference. Look at it this way;

Typhon 3S = $300
Senton 3S = $300
Charger/Two batteries = $150
TOTAL = $750

So, you AND your son/daughter can be racing at 50 mph with each other for the same price as one of you running a 6S rig.

Plus, you need something in-between the brushed starter stuff and the 6S stuff, that's just business 101.
Oh I am keeping it in mind, I was just wondering out loud what my first Arrma should be, the 6s BLX or 3s BLX. I don't have a buggy so keep looking to by one.

Also I mentioned this above about the battery thing...the guys who have 6s packs (or good 3s packs to run together) would likely benefit from getting the 6s BLX as they will be set up already to charge them. But that is a good point about the being able to get 2 3s for the price of a 6s set up!

One thing I am very interested in is seeing how the 3s BLX Typhon runs on 2s. I have a lot of 2s hardcase packs that would be a perfect fit, and 2s packs can be really cheap on eBay if you look around. I would think a 2s Typhon would run at what, 40mph or so?

For me, I wasn't sure about what speeds were all about until I did some GPS runs with my new-to-me Rustler. I ran it on 2s and it was quick...put in a 3s (never ran a Traxxas on 3s) and ran up and down the road and was like "holy moley this thing is fast). Decided to GPS the stock Rustler and got 52mph in one pass...to be honest, I have no idea how anyone can drive the Rustler off road on 3s and have any control!

The Rustler story was to say that speed is very relative, guys who run 6s rigs might be bored with a 3s truck, BUT people like me who don't care to go highway speeds around their yard might be perfectly fine with a 3s BLX truck over the 6s.

All right fine, I talked myself into it. Next eBay 20% off coupon (if the Typhon 3s BLX is on eBay by then) I will get one
Dec 10, 2018, 04:53 PM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
How fast do you think the 6S BLX on 4s is compared to the 3s BLX speed wise?
Stock gearing, I bet the BLX3s is faster on 3s than the BLX6s on 4s. With the stock pinion on the 6s car it is just not impressive on 4s, maybe 35mph. The motor has plenty of power, though, so you can bump the pinion 2-4 teeth and make the car really come alive on 4s.
Dec 10, 2018, 05:04 PM
Registered User
Panhead5496's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryRigged
Stock gearing, I bet the BLX3s is faster on 3s than the BLX6s on 4s. With the stock pinion on the 6s car it is just not impressive on 4s, maybe 35mph. The motor has plenty of power, though, so you can bump the pinion 2-4 teeth and make the car really come alive on 4s.
I gotcha. Makes sense about re gearing.

Wonder how the BLX 3s would do with a re gear for 2s running...might run a little hot.
Dec 10, 2018, 06:03 PM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
Most of the running vids I have seen of the BLX3s trucks, they run cool even on 3s. But some find that with bigger pinions, the motor starts to cog bad. YMMV, as always...

I feel like Arrma gears their cars for the higher voltage option. Smaller pinions to run the 3s/6s out of the box without heat issues. This seems to be backwards of most other mfgrs. Seems others will put the biggest pinion in there they can without heat issues on 2s, then if you drop a 3s in there, you are almost guaranteed to have issues.
Dec 10, 2018, 06:06 PM
The Mad Titan
DC1138's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryRigged
Stock gearing, I bet the BLX3s is faster on 3s than the BLX6s on 4s. With the stock pinion on the 6s car it is just not impressive on 4s, maybe 35mph. The motor has plenty of power, though, so you can bump the pinion 2-4 teeth and make the car really come alive on 4s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
I gotcha. Makes sense about re gearing.

Wonder how the BLX 3s would do with a re gear for 2s running...might run a little hot.
Yeah, the 6S vehicles are pretty much mid 30s on 4S and about 50 on 6S stock, out of the box. The 60-70 advertised required changing pinions, just like the Traxxas cars. My Talion V3 is currently geared with a 16 tooth pinion (stock 50 spur) and has SRC Road Crushers on it. With a Garmin, I got 62 mph on 6S, so I'm probably low to mid 40s on 4S. No heat issues, though I was just running on road of course. I'm not sure how it would be bashing.

Are the 3S vehicles 50 mph out of the box on 3S, or does that require changing to a speed gear? If both the 3S and 6S do mid 30s on 2S/4S and about 50 on 3S/6S out of box, you're in good shape regardless of which one you get unless you're looking for crazy speed, in which case the 6S is probably the way to go.
Dec 11, 2018, 01:41 AM
Car Bashing
Jym73's Avatar
Quote:
Are the 3S vehicles 50 mph out of the box on 3S, or does that require changing to a speed gear?
More 46 mph than 50.

But, if you want to go very fast, as already said, the 1/8 is the way to go indeed.

I really see with this BLX 3s serie a Traxxas business plan. Most of Traxxas car must be upgraded if you want to go fast with. If we watch the upgrades that Arrma plan to sell, on tower hobbies, then the BLX 3S is like Traxxas cars, they need ton of upgrades, and expensive, to go above 3s. The Arrma 1/8 don't need all these upgrade to go fast. But, in comparison to Traxxas, the 3s BLX can be use on 3s, when the Traxxas cars will already need upgrades to be durable on 3s. The Rustler 4x4 is a little bit different, after more than 20 years, Traxxas finally decided to upgrade their plastic CVDs, but the price is too close to a 1/8 arrma.

For my kind of use, mainly off road, and has i have others cars which go fast ( even almost 90kph with a 1/10 buggy on 2s), 45-50mph is plenty fast for off road use. It is like the JLB and Vkar Bison, sold with 3s and fast enough out of the box (the motor already get too hot on 3s), 45-50mph also, and i don't advise to use them on 4s, they aren't design to be durable on 4s (there are two japanese guys on youtube who put 6s in a JLB ).

50mph is the good balance for off-road use for me, fast enough for doing great jumps and keep a car durable enough to be able to finish a battery without breakage.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product ARRMA Typhon 6s BLX 1/8th 4WD RTR Buggy Thread lightrules Off-road Cars 259 Dec 20, 2019 06:46 PM
New Product ARRMA 1/10 BIG ROCK CREW CAB 4x4 3S BLX Brushless RTR Panhead5496 Off-road Cars 25 Dec 04, 2018 05:11 AM
Discussion Arrma typhon blx - radar run Wisconsin John Off-road Cars 0 Jul 26, 2017 11:00 PM
Discussion Arrma typhon 6s blx - maiden radar run Wisconsin John Off-road Cars 0 Jun 23, 2017 10:04 PM
Discussion Arrma typhon blx -review Wisconsin John Off-road Cars 0 Apr 02, 2017 11:48 PM