Jun 18, 2001, 09:39 AM
Thread OP

ModelTech PSS conversion ( P-51 Mustang)

Anyone converted the above to electric power ? i've seen it done, but could do with a few pointers....which is the best motor ? optimum weight etc etc....anyone?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2001, 06:29 PM
A fews years back this very plane was converted to electric..I can't remember whether it was MAN or RCM, the power system used was a Model Electronics turbo 10 through the 6:1 gbx. Can't recall cell count. Maybe I should look through back issues sometime. Good Luck John
Jun 19, 2001, 08:34 AM
Visitor from Reality
We have one in our club!

From memory, haven't seen it or the builder in a while.

He made the radio gear hatch in the nose as the motor access. Just behind that is a long hatch for battery access that he cut out himself. Runs from an inch or so aft of the front hatch to just behind the canopy. Nicad sits on a plate glued in just above the wing. Battery is 2 sets of 5 cells, soldered side by side, one atop the other.

Motor - obscure Euro motor, he told me its electrically near enough an Astro 05. A MAT beltdrive at 3:1 spins a 10 or 11" yellow bendy nylon prop - try Hobby Lobby, I think they are "Kavan". Ten x 2000 cells.

He fitted an active rudder, uses mini or micro servos all round. Covered in silver Monokote, but can't tell you weight. Anyway, as an ARC, it's hard to do much to the weight without knocking holes into things. Anyway, "Optimum weight" is always 1oz lighter than you got

Flies great - leaves a handlaunch with no sag, straight into a positive climb. Very maneuvrable, pretty fast for a fat semiscale. Bellyflop landings on grass pull up straight with no drama. It's also pretty tought - got strained through a tree vertically once, and was airborne the next weekend.

Regards

Dereck
Jun 19, 2001, 10:35 AM
The Modeltech P-51 slope soarer was converted by Bob Benjamin in the Nov. '96 issue of RCM. RCM sent me a copy of the article for a couple bucks. Bob used a MEC Turbo 10, 6:1 superbox, 10 sub-c cells and a 12x8 prop. He also installed Robart 600 retracts and a painted finish for a all up weight of 4 lbs. 6 oz., but it could be less with lighter film covering. You could go with the Panasonic 2000 NiMH cells and drop another 5 oz.
Brad

[This message has been edited by byoung (edited 06-19-2001).]
Jun 19, 2001, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
thanks guys !
i should (hopefully) have her finished and ready this weekend to fly ( weather permitting that is. Tar murcherly
Jun 20, 2001, 09:53 AM
HobbyView/RCRoundtable
Be sure to check out the eflight archives at: http://muffin.indexdata.dk/elist/

Do a search for modeltech p-51

There are some additional info regarding wing incedence corrections of the PSS version conversion.

I have the glow ARC version of this plane that I've been working on converting for some time that will also have retracts.

-FTZ
Jul 03, 2001, 03:30 AM
hi, just read your plea for info, i have just finished the conversion a few weeks back, i have a speed 600 race 7.2 motor with a 2.8-1 inline box driving a 11.5 x 7 folder. battery pack is 8 x 2000`s, i have cut a battery hatch on top of the fuselage above the wing & made a battery tray from lightply, aircraft is incredibly slow on stall speed but very manouvarable & faster than my balsacraft bearcat, best of luck with yours.

Quick Reply