This thread is privately moderated by UpNup, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 05, 2018, 02:31 PM
Who are these that fly?
Thread OP
Discussion

P-51B plastic version as research

When researching to build an RC scale balsa plane from plans, I have found that it was helpful to build a plastic model of it first. I found just what I was looking for on eBay for $14.

This week, I finished the 1967 Monogram 1/48 scale Ding Hao! P-51B. This was my first warbird and a real joy to research and build. The cockpit and wings had good detail. I can live with the final result.

However, 52 year-old decals do not go down easy. Micro-sol, Pledge floor wax, and finally CA at least got everything to eventually stick. And I mean everything peeled up from the “no step” to the “Stars and Stripes.” And this model certainly came with a generous collection of decals.

The P-51B base green plastic was rattle can sprayed with Testors paints (olive drab and gray) and a final coat of their dulling spray. I went with zinc chromate brushed on interior surfaces. And the coup de grace? My wife contributed a blond hair for the radio wire.

It will be great to see how this will be a reference for the RC version with 60” wingspan.
Last edited by UpNup; Dec 05, 2018 at 02:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2018, 03:08 PM
A fairly complete NAA P-51B fuselage loft, with station ordinates charts appears on the Scale Drawings and 3-views forum, here on RC groups. The old Monogram kit is sure nostalgic but really not much of an accurate reference.

For some reason I can't post a link. However, go to the Scale Drawings and 3-view forum and find "Evolved Mustangs" thread. See Post #35
Last edited by packardpursuit; Dec 16, 2018 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Tried to ad link, will try again later
Apr 29, 2019, 10:56 AM
Who are these that fly?
Thread OP
Thanks Packardpursuit. I found the link:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thum...one&starter=no

Quick Reply