Dec 05, 2018, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
New Product

Night Radian Remote LED Controller

Since the Night Radian first came out.. and I first saw one.. it was
obvious to me that there needed to be a way of controlling the LED
lights remotely.

I decided that this issue could be solved in the Night Radian. We
(my company) decided to find a solution to remedy this.

We designed a remote LED light controller that can be added to the
existing Radian LED controller (soldering required) and can be
fully controller by the Transmitter by 2 channels. One channel a 3 Pos
switch to choose which button to press and a 2nd Channel to activate
that button. In addition a 4th control will power the entire LED lights
ON and OFF. All from the ground.

We had produced a few prototype PCBs for testing and sent a few
to Dave Mercier of MeRC fame for testing.
A link to an earlier Post.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=366

Here is the results of the tests with permission and courtesy of MeRC....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=bfAe3eq7PCI

As of today the Radian Light Controller is available for sale on our
website here....

https://www.laserbeelpm.com/rlc.html

Any questions... just post them here.. PM me or you can send messages
to our website [Contact] page.

Jerry
Last edited by lasersbee; Dec 06, 2018 at 12:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2018, 09:22 AM

night radian switch

Can this replace the wiring "nest" in the cockpit? If yes, it would save weight and improve convenience, I presume.
Thanks
Dec 08, 2018, 10:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by earp
Can this replace the wiring "nest" in the cockpit? If yes, it would save weight and improve convenience, I presume.
Thanks
Sorry... it will not. It is an add on to the Night Radian LED controller
so that you can switch the LED light sequences and also completely
turn them OFF and ON from your transmitter. The RLC Module
only weighs 2.5 grams.

For the wiring nest in the cockpit I would suggest re-routing some
lines and use Zip Ties to clean it up a bit.

Jerry
Dec 08, 2018, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earp
Thanks
@earp - Here is how it works sir:

New RC LED Control for Night Radian FT - RC Switch Functions Great! (4 min 25 sec)
Dec 08, 2018, 04:43 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Ok that is slick!
Dec 13, 2018, 06:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.merc
@earp - Here is how it works sir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfAe3eq7PCI
Thanks for chiming in with your Night Radian Remote LED Controller
installation video Dave... Very well explained.

Jerry
Jan 04, 2019, 03:12 PM
Terry Dunn
FYI - If you're adding one of these controllers to a BNF version of the Night Radian, you'll have to make a slight tweak to the AR636A receiver. Out of the box, channels 4-6 are inactive. It's pretty easy to activate them using one of the Spektrum programming cables (USB or Bluetooth) and the Spektrum programming app. I configured GEAR to port 5 and AUX1 to port 6. On my iX12 transmitter, I configured GEAR to the momentary switch "I", and AUX1 to 3-position switch "D". Channel 1 of the RLC is plugged into GEAR/Ch5 of the receiver and channel 2 is plugged into AUX1/Ch6.

Even before installing the RLC, I had removed the mechanical on/off switch from the LED system...it seemed redundant. My RLC is connected to the stock switchboard with short wires and the 2 PCBs are joined back-to-back with foam tape. A single piece of heatshrink tubing insulates them. To make the footprint of the RLC a little smaller, I removed the servo pins and soldered the leads directly to the PCB. I have the boards mounted to the plastic bulkhead behind the motor.

Terry
Jan 19, 2019, 07:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar_man
FYI - If you're adding one of these controllers to a BNF version of the Night Radian, you'll have to make a slight tweak to the AR636A receiver. Out of the box, channels 4-6 are inactive. It's pretty easy to activate them using one of the Spektrum programming cables (USB or Bluetooth) and the Spektrum programming app. I configured GEAR to port 5 and AUX1 to port 6. On my iX12 transmitter, I configured GEAR to the momentary switch "I", and AUX1 to 3-position switch "D". Channel 1 of the RLC is plugged into GEAR/Ch5 of the receiver and channel 2 is plugged into AUX1/Ch6.

Even before installing the RLC, I had removed the mechanical on/off switch from the LED system...it seemed redundant. My RLC is connected to the stock switchboard with short wires and the 2 PCBs are joined back-to-back with foam tape. A single piece of heatshrink tubing insulates them. To make the footprint of the RLC a little smaller, I removed the servo pins and soldered the leads directly to the PCB. I have the boards mounted to the plastic bulkhead behind the motor.

Terry
Nice clean installation Terry.
Yeah I've recently found that the original Night Radian Receiver can be unlocked
to get the extra channels. Can't see any logic in locking them out.

Thanks for your knowledgeable hands on input..

Jerry
Last edited by lasersbee; Mar 25, 2019 at 06:56 AM.
Feb 06, 2019, 08:31 AM
Terry Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGT6
I did manage to move the controller, power supply and RLC unit into the belly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f42G9a8xuU
Nicely done! I'll bet that cleans up the battery area significantly.
Feb 06, 2019, 08:42 AM
Andre Rousseau
Quote:
Nicely done! I'll bet that cleans up the battery area significantly.
Yeah, I ran my normal radian with the FRSKY rx/vario like that.
I suspect this one will be swapped over to FRSKY before Flight Fest Ohio 2019.

Very handy piece of kit for sure.
Feb 06, 2019, 02:30 PM
Andre Rousseau
Quote:

Terry
Terry can you do a screen shot of the stock setting for the radian. I sort of blew them away when I was setting up the rx. The iOS app is so so.

I'm going to try the BT module with my PC.

Thanks.
Feb 06, 2019, 03:44 PM
Terry Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGT6
Terry can you do a screen shot of the stock setting for the radian.
For the Port Assignment screen? The only difference is that "Gear" and "Aux1" were Unassigned.
Feb 06, 2019, 08:01 PM
Andre Rousseau
Quote:
For the Port Assignment screen? The only difference is that "Gear" and "Aux1" were Unassigned.
Sorted it out this evening.

Thank you.
Feb 07, 2019, 01:43 PM
Here is how I wired it.
@AGT6 I also moved it into the belly area with the RLC in the tunnel.
Wiring Night Radian RC Switch for remote control of LED Lights (6 min 29 sec)

Quick Reply