Jan 14, 2019, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33 View Post
Being that I haven't take mine apart yet (due to cold weather...lack of motivation), could you give me the length of the pins? Rather than going to 4mm I was going to go to a hardened 3mm but I would like to know the length to obtain so if you could provide that, it would be great
I can't remember the length of the front pin but the mains are 45mm .. You need to take the pins out anyway to dremel the flat spots..The 4mm pins on mine are made from piano wire which are hardened steel..Do it once .. Do it right..
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2019, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
I can't remember the length of the front pin but the mains are 45mm .. You need to take the pins out anyway to dremel the flat spots..The 4mm pins on mine are made from piano wire which are hardened steel..Do it once .. Do it right..
Yup lol.. I bent my front pin yesterday, will be making new ones this weekend after some light drilling
Jan 14, 2019, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by putput View Post
Yup lol.. I bent my front pin yesterday, will be making new ones this weekend after some light drilling
Let me know the length of the front please

Piano wire is spring steel. I was planning on using dowel pins, much stronger and thus was going to stay at 3mm and not have to drill out
Jan 14, 2019, 11:21 AM
RC Addict
Just me and my two favorites at the field today.
Jan 14, 2019, 12:12 PM
Thought I would post pictures of cockpit changes. Other mods done are installed cockpit magnets and cutting latch slot to allow pin to go in further, cutting missles off of wingtip rails, sequencing lights and afterburner lastly front landing gear pin mod.
Jan 14, 2019, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Larger wheels will entail dremelling the foam ..Keeping it super light is the formula for better rotation & less load on the landing gear .. The heavier the battery the more chance of bending those butter soft strut pins .. The best part of flying is the taking off & landing .. I upgraded my strut pins all round to 4mm piano wire & got rid of the front oleo struts to Trailing links like the Freewing 70mm F-16 for much better ground handling & less issues with the landing gear.. Unless you have bowling green grass those soft pins will keep bending especially the front ones because of the lack of strength & the oleo struts aren't designed to operate off grass because of the lack of absorption to the lever effect forces of Potholes & bumps unlike Trailing links..If you're handy it's well worth the upgrades..Unfortunately hard landings are a different story ..
I thought you used the nose gear from the Freewing F86 not the F16. Am I wrong. Thanks
Jan 14, 2019, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vista598 View Post
I thought you used the nose gear from the Freewing F86 not the F16. Am I wrong. Thanks
I do .. I was just stating Freewing had the right setup from the gitgo ..Instead of chasing Scale looks Freewing was more practical for allround handling in its choice of front strut especially due to the F-16's very narrow tipsy stance..
Jan 14, 2019, 02:15 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
I do .. I was just stating Freewing had the right setup from the gitgo ..Instead of chasing Scale looks Freewing was more practical for allround handling in its choice of front strut especially due to the F-16's very narrow tipsy stance..
Yeah i always want dependable trail link gear and bigger wheels on everything now. Scale matters once airborne and from our flying. I can care less personally about scale little details or cockpit detail on the ground ha
Jan 14, 2019, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmanb View Post
Yeah i always want dependable trail link gear and bigger wheels on everything now. Scale matters once airborne and from our flying. I can care less personally about scale little details or cockpit detail on the ground ha
Exactly .. haha.. Power system & landing gear for me..lol
Jan 14, 2019, 03:07 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Exactly .. haha.. Power system & landing gear for me..lol
I feel lost at times on these forums. Most Everyone is more into talking the depth of cockpit detail and wheels then the depth of flying haha.
Jan 14, 2019, 03:08 PM
Quote:

Curious, did you use the 80mm f86 gear for front? If so, did the pin from freeing work, or did you build your own.. and, how is the clearance when gear goes up, did you have to carve a lot to get it to clear the fuselage??
Jan 14, 2019, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by putput View Post
Curious, did you use the 80mm f86 gear for front? If so, did the pin from freeing work, or did you build your own.. and, how is the clearance when gear goes up, did you have to carve a lot to get it to clear the fuselage??
The F-86 strut takes a 4mm pin & I made my own because piano wire is much stronger but you can use the Freewing pin for convenience.. The strut is 15mm longer than stock length so you need to dremel a little foam at the rear to accomodate it .. The extra 15mm aoa also helps for earlier rotation .. win-win..I found a small wheel in my treasure chest that was perfect for minimal carving..Need to drill out the steering bit as well to 4mm..
Last edited by HellHathNoFury; Jan 14, 2019 at 03:59 PM.
Jan 14, 2019, 03:39 PM
Quote:
I agree, I don't know why FMS and Eflite don't get it.
Jan 14, 2019, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseSq-419 View Post
Thought I would post pictures of cockpit changes. Other mods done are installed cockpit magnets and cutting latch slot to allow pin to go in further, cutting missles off of wingtip rails, sequencing lights and afterburner lastly front landing gear pin mod.
That pilot is looking great!
Jan 14, 2019, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmanb View Post
I feel lost at times on these forums. Most Everyone is more into talking the depth of cockpit detail and wheels then the depth of flying haha.
Thatís a good thing right? Many ways to enjoy this great hobby of ours, some care only about the flying, (they even go so far as taking a small pilot figure out, a thing that i personally canít stand if thereís an aircraft flying by with an empty cocktpit...) others care in scale details and they design, model, make and paint away. (And others do it all)
The sky is the limit!

Quick Reply