Sep 19, 2019, 05:57 PM
Good to hear, so who is actually hand launching with the remote in their hand at the same time ?

No helper needed at all, doing it solo like a Boss ?

Scott B
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
hand launching her is super easy. no worries at all. donít even need a javelin arm.
iíve routinely handlaunched larger than 64mm. i hand launch my 70mm T-45 Goshawk all the time and iíve also handlaunched my 90mm Flexjet as well.
-beanie
With the landing gear still installed?
Sep 19, 2019, 06:42 PM
i have not removed my gear. i hand launch myself. i'm right handed and feel better throwing with my right hand than then getting my right hand on the Tx ASAP.
-beanie
Sep 19, 2019, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddley
Good to hear, so who is actually hand launching with the remote in their hand at the same time ?

No helper needed at all, doing it solo like a Boss ?

Scott B
12 hand launched flights with remote in left hand and gear still installed. Easy peasy with the safe select on...after 1st 30 seconds of flight safe is toggled off for the rest of the flight.
Sep 20, 2019, 08:44 PM
RC Addict
An rc miracle is upon us. More elusive than the Locke Ness Monster.
Sep 20, 2019, 08:48 PM
flyin' Dude
ready to fly. easy build (if you can call it a build). used foam tac for glue joints. still waiting on my roaring tops, so balanced with a turnigy 3300 I had, which is heavier - fairly back in the tray, behind the first strap. one of my ele servo arms was off one tooth, other than that, everything centered nicely. those wheels are hard as rocks, will look for something softer. what a rat's nest those servo wires are behind the Rx - I scrapped my plan to run the ailerons separately. one of the main gear connectors was loose causing intermittent retraction - I think that is fixed now - will run a few more cycles before maiden. pretty windy here in TX for awhile so may be next week for maiden. Oh, I might add, I am a bit worried about the foam hinges - I have had bad luck with those on other foamies.

haha, looking at the battery pic I sure have a tan foot!!! just got back from the beach
Sep 20, 2019, 09:32 PM
Hi,

Deflect your control surfaces all the way to one side. Run a bead of Foam Tac on the ďtopĒ of those hinges and then smooth it out with a finger into a thin film. Let dry. Your hinges are now good to go!
Sep 21, 2019, 09:23 AM
Good Luck Phil! are you worried about the hinges failing in use or if there's some sort of unwanted contact with earth/trees/poles?

its strange how they have the plane set up with those straps.. not sure i've seen anyone fly it with that front strap anywhere near the battery
Sep 21, 2019, 12:56 PM
flyin' Dude
I only have one other plane with foam hinges, an eflite 1.2m Corsair, and every one of the control surfaces have detached over time during flight (mine is modded and goes 90mph). Replaced all with CA hinges. I had another FMS 3D plane a while back and the rudder blew off in flight - CA hinges fixed it. Everything else I have now is balsa with CA or pin hinges.

Coincidentally, that Corsair battery also sits such that only one strap covers it. No biggee, with the Velcro strip they ain’t going anywhere. Batteries <450g probably sit more in the center of the tray.
Sep 21, 2019, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastphil_v
I only have one other plane with foam hinges, an eflite 1.2m Corsair, and every one of the control surfaces have detached over time during flight (mine is modded and goes 90mph). Replaced all with CA hinges. I had another FMS 3D plane a while back and the rudder blew off in flight - CA hinges fixed it. Everything else I have now is balsa with CA or pin hinges.

Coincidentally, that Corsair battery also sits such that only one strap covers it. No biggee, with the Velcro strip they ainít going anywhere. Batteries <450g probably sit more in the center of the tray.
I have done the same on one of mine with the CA hinges too. What have u used to glue them in place, my foam Safe CA does not want to hold very good in the surfaces?

Scott B
Sep 21, 2019, 03:55 PM
flyin' Dude
Scott, use regular thin CA - not foam safe. And it should be fairly fresh - CA will go bad with age, especially if it’s stored in a warm-ish place (I’ve seen foam safe CA go bad in a week stored in a warm hangar). This applies to EPO planes, of course - regular CA eats EPS - but all the modern scale foamies are EPO afaik.
Last edited by fastphil_v; Sep 21, 2019 at 04:07 PM.
Sep 23, 2019, 08:04 PM
flyin' Dude
maiden today, no drama. total of 3 flights. nice flying plane. not as fast as I expected, but plenty fun and sounds good. all landings nice and smooth with nose up but never settled in before halfway point on our paved runway so I rolled off the end a few feet each time. If I could have set down earlier I think the rollout was reasonable. our runway is 350'. more practice will help but 3 min goes by fast.

I was slowing down on downwind leg with gear down, and cutting throttle on final, then adding a tiny bit back in for stable descent but it was too much each time. what are you guys doing?

Phil
Sep 23, 2019, 08:52 PM
RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastphil_v
maiden today, no drama. total of 3 flights. nice flying plane. not as fast as I expected, but plenty fun and sounds good. all landings nice and smooth with nose up but never settled in before halfway point on our paved runway so I rolled off the end a few feet each time. If I could have set down earlier I think the rollout was reasonable. our runway is 350'. more practice will help but 3 min goes by fast.

I was slowing down on downwind leg with gear down, and cutting throttle on final, then adding a tiny bit back in for stable descent but it was too much each time. what are you guys doing?

Phil
Glad you enjoyed your first flights. I also wish she were 20 MPH faster. I have a feeling an 80 mm F16 is in the works. I would be in heaven if so.
Sep 23, 2019, 09:39 PM
flyin' Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Quad
Glad you enjoyed your first flights. I also wish she were 20 MPH faster. I have a feeling an 80 mm F16 is in the works. I would be in heaven if so.
Haha speed is addictive. But more speed requires much more power, which starts the domino effect and gets big, heavy and pricey before you know it. As my handle suggests, I have been down that path many times. I will try to avoid it, but I fear I may be sucked into the EDF performance spinning vortex.
Sep 23, 2019, 11:39 PM

Funnest EDF Iíve flown so far.

This is my 6th EDF and I am having a blast. This plane does some amazing flying. I have to be careful when I get done and start to fly another EDF because this one lets you get away with some ridiculous maneuvers. I had someone ask after seeing it loop tightly if it was vectored thrust. Good to see that nose cones are in stock again too.

Been running 6S 4000 and 3200. I get em extra 30 seconds out of the 4000 but can tell it handles better with a lighter pack. All in, this was a great buy. Glad to see others enjoying theirs too!

It would be interesting to see a nice 80.

Quick Reply