RealFlight 8 Horizon Hobby Edition - RCGroups Review

Check out the newest release of RealFlight, which now includes Horizon Hobby aircraft & technology!

Splash

RealFlight and Horizon finally together at last!

Product:RealFlight 8 Horizon Hobby Edition
Price:$179.99
Available from:horizonhobby.com
PDF Manual:Click Here

RealFlight has been around for longer than I can remember, and is often acclaimed as one of the best R/C simulators available. As much as our hobby has evolved and changed through the years, Knife Edge Software has been right with it, taking RealFlight from a very basic simulator to an advanced piece of software with precise physics and detailed graphics. With hundreds of airplanes, helicopters and now drones to fly in over 40 airfields both photo-realistic and 3D, RealFlight lets you try virtually anything you want before choosing what you spend your hard-earned dollars on. However until now, Horizon Hobby (HH) aircraft were never officially one of those options. With the Horizon Hobby Edition (HHE), over a dozen new Horizon aircraft from E-flite, HobbyZone, ParkZone, Hangar 9, and Blade are ready for you to take to the skies with the added bonus of AS3X and SAFE technology modeled into them. It's very exciting to finally get some Horizon aircraft on this great simulator, so let's try it out!

System Requirements

Minimum Recommended System:

• Windows® 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 10
  • Intel® Pentium® 1.0GHz or equivalent
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 10 GB Hard Drive Space
  • DVD Drive
  • 3D Accelerated Video with: 32 MB Dedicated Video Memory / Fully DirectX® 9 compliant (Shader Model 2.0 or better)
  • InterLink-X, RealFlight compatible controller, or other Gamepad/Joystick

Optimal System:

• Dual Core 2.4GHz CPU
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 3D Accelerated Video with: 512 MB dedicated video memory

Multiplayer Requirements:

• Broadband connection
  • Computer microphone for voice chat

But, I already bought RealFlight 8!

If you purchased RealFlight 8 after September 1st, 2018 you are eligible to receive this Horizon Hobby Edition Add-On at no charge! Otherwise, it will be $30 for the upgrade download - https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJLUM&P=3.

Finally! E-flite, HobbyZone, ParkZone, Hangar 9, and Blade

I love seeing some great Horizon Hobby selections on the aircraft list! Checkout the new options available in the HHE version:

• E-flite Apprentice S 15e
  • E-flite Carbon-Z Cessna 150 2.1m (4s & 6s versions)
  • E-flite F-27 Evolution
  • E-flite Mini Convergence VTOL (simple & advanced versions)
  • E-flite Timber 1.5m (with and without floats)
  • FMS F-15 64mm EDF
  • Hangar 9 Carbon Cub 15cc
  • Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 30cc
  • HobbyZone Sport Cub S
  • ParkZone Conscendo Advanced
  • Blade Fusion (270 & 480 versions)

Even though a good share of these are high-wing aircraft, the collection is a good start for Horizons recently popular offerings and covers the wide range of aircraft categories from foam park flyers and trainers, to EDF jets, balsa planes and helicopters; which should give every pilot something they will enjoy flying. I was very happy to see & test out my personal favorite, the F-27 Evolution. I've had a Stryker since they first came out and am very familiar with its flight characteristics. After pressing one of the buttons on the Interlink controller to launch the F-27, I was zipping up and down the runway with an official F-27 model on RealFlight, just like I do with mine at the club field! The model was just as fun to fly as the real one, other than it diving for some reason when throttle was off and elevator neutralized.

While I haven't personally flown ALL of the actual airplanes that the HHE added, their RealFlight counterparts all flew well and about as I expected. The Apprentice and Sport Cub flew like the sweethearts they are; the Carbon Cub and Timber added some STOL fun; while the Conscendo, F-27 and F-15 gave some high-speed excitement. The Mini Convergence was also interesting to give a try, as I've seen many but never personally flown one.

AS3X and SAFE...on a simulator?!

I know what some of you are saying... "Why bother putting stabilization on a flight sim?!" That last word is the key - 'simulator'. RealFlight aims to reproduce the true flight characteristics of R/C aircraft. If some of their models have AS3X and SAFE modes, then the simulator should duplicate that behavior to be as true-to-life as possible. Can you imagine a new pilot trying out an Apprentice without SAFE programming on RealFlight, and then flying a real one with SAFE? It would be quite a different experience, causing confusion and distrust in the RealFlight product. Beyond that, RealFlight offers a perfect opportunity to see exactly how AS3X stabilization can help ANY aircraft in various weather conditions! Crank that wind up to a gusty 20mph and toggle AS3X on and off as you fly around...the difference quickly shows how AS3X can improve your flight. Aside: Have you ever tried flying one of the UMX planes in 15-20mph winds? You wouldn't think it's possible... but it it's an absolute blast, and the AS3X makes handling it much easier than you'd expect!

I spent some time on the sticks with several of the new models that had SAFE programming, including the Apprentice and Carbon-Z Cessna. With SAFE mode active, bank & pitch angles were limited despite the sticks being shoved in the corners. And true to the real-life SAFE technology, as soon as you let go of the sticks the model instantly levels out until you take control again.

More great features in RealFlight 8

Some cool models, along with the awesome feature of VR compatibility were released earlier this year with RealFlight 8. RCGroups.com did an in-depth review of these new features, which can be read here.

Summary

Knife Edge Software and Horizon Hobby have taken a great step to combine a great product line into one of the best R/C simulators available. The addition of AS3X and SAFE technology on these simulated Horizon Hobby aircraft perfectly replicates how those technologies work on the real thing. This makes for a super easy transition going from RealFlight to the field, or for testing how AS3X might behave and react with your favorite aircraft. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Horizon aircraft show up on RealFlight in the future!

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.
  • It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Nikolei Zinsli; Feb 26, 2019 at 06:49 PM..
Feb 28, 2019, 07:01 AM
Not for MAC users...What a shame !
Feb 28, 2019, 10:19 AM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Too bad I cannot upgrade my 7.5!
Feb 28, 2019, 08:50 PM
ordered mine with controller, will be here tomorrow, can't wait, I've been a long time user of Phoenix flight sim, but they are no longer so time to switch
Feb 28, 2019, 10:55 PM
excited to try out the vr, I own an oculus rift, so excited
Mar 01, 2019, 08:58 AM
Curious on how frequent new models come out. Epic Games / Fortnite has shown us that frequent updates really makes a difference. It's probably a really awesome sim but Phoenix still has individuals bringing out planes monthly. How cool would it be if Horizon released all new models on this. If so, I am buying.
Mar 02, 2019, 07:52 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lleemon
Curious on how frequent new models come out. Epic Games / Fortnite has shown us that frequent updates really makes a difference. It's probably a really awesome sim but Phoenix still has individuals bringing out planes monthly. How cool would it be if Horizon released all new models on this. If so, I am buying.
With this now under Horizons umbrella, I'm sure they have a decent team working hard to get more HH models into the sim! I fully expect to see more addons released this year. In the mean time, theres always the custom user generated models you can download on their forums!
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Mar 05, 2019, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolei Zinsli
With this now under Horizons umbrella, I'm sure they have a decent team working hard to get more HH models into the sim! I fully expect to see more addons released this year. In the mean time, theres always the custom user generated models you can download on their forums!
Can you supply a link to download these modeks your talking about?
Mar 05, 2019, 08:35 AM
Nikolei - Wasn't PhoenixRC from Horizon Hobby as well at one point? They had a ton of Parkzone and E-flite planes that came with it, T-28D is what got me into flying RC planes. So I understand HH is big in all but if they don't throw resources into it then it is what outside people are doing. Don't get me wrong, PheonixRC has some dudes (aka rickp) that are just as good as if HH did it but my original point is if HH is going to bring out most of their models out before, I am buying this because to me that's what makes a sim awesome.

Yes, same as previous post, please provide a link to where general user created planes are. Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolei Zinsli
Last edited by lleemon; Mar 05, 2019 at 08:51 AM.
Mar 05, 2019, 10:47 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
The user-made models and model variants can be found here: http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Mar 06, 2019, 03:19 PM
Can someone tell me how to program a throttle curve on this sim? Not for heli but for a fixed wing.

Thx,
Steve
Mar 07, 2019, 09:47 AM
JDougherty
I upgraded from RF 7 to the new program and bought the WS1000 dongle so I can use my DX8 G2 Tx. Other than the Horizon models added to the extensive list, it appears to function pretty much the same. Learning the new setup and figuring how to program is daunting, especially with the 385 page digital manual. I have tried reading through, but it is War and Peace on steroids! Haven't figured out how to assign flaps to the 3 position switch A, or how to program dual rates and expo to a single switch. Doesn't seem to hold transmitter protocol between aircraft selections. I have had RealFlight simulator going back to the original stick figure planes version (sic) and this one is the best yet, I think.
Mar 21, 2019, 05:26 PM
It's Great, but.... Don't work on Linux =/
Old Mar 22, 2019, 03:11 PM
HenryF
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam).
Mar 31, 2019, 05:43 PM
I can make you go away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedericoA
Not for MAC users...What a shame !
I run mine exclusively on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro dual booted into Windows 10 (Running from an external USB drive) via Bootcamp. It runs as smooth as butter!! It's a bit of a process to get it running but once installed you have the option to run either MacOS or Windows. Check out the YouTube videos on how to set up Windows on a Mac and get into it!!

Quick Reply