Sep 12, 2019, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
Just to proove that it did actually fly in the event.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 12:25 AM
Thread OP
Final picture of La Coupe Des Barons 2019. I think that this is a nice picture of Team B2M and our models, (and my van!) just before the start of the event. I will let you know when the video becomes available.
Sep 13, 2019, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Looking at it, I think the boys did paint it Tom.
If they painted the pattern then they are an inspiration to us all.

Thanks for the pictures. I can't wait for the video.
Sep 16, 2019, 01:18 AM
Thread OP
Video of La Coupe here: https://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons. Scroll down to "Video Coupe 2019."
Sep 18, 2019, 08:27 PM
Hi Monza. I think that was you at 42:05. I didn't see the twins but did see some other young folks there so maybe model flying isn't on the ropes yet. The video was great. I see they added back the streamer cut. I can't say I spotted your plane. Most were moving too fast for me to pick it out. That limbo contest is hell on planes but its my favorite part.

Once again I wish I could have been there to fly with you guys. Maybe someday. Dare to dream huh? By the way, did your plane survive?
Sep 19, 2019, 02:13 AM
Thread OP
Yes that's me at 42.05. There's a nice shot of Roger advising Ludo at 43.31 and several more of him smoking his pipe in the video and in various stills.

Unfortunately they replaced the streamer-cut event with a spot landing test where you had to cut your engine and land and stop inside one of two marked out rectangles. Only three pilots managed it. There was quite a breeze blowing and I landed about four feet short (1.25 metres) as did the surviving three of my colleagues. The models with streamers attached were not participating in the streamer cutting round, they were the survivors of the event flying for fun at the end of the competition, the so-called "Barnum" in French. Streamers were optional this year. Some of them even managed vertical rolls. I'll bet that they were on 50% nitro. Shame really that they cut the streamer cutting round. Having now flown twice at La Coupe and once in our club's "Mini Coupe" I seem to be better at the high speed rounds rather than those requiring extreme flying precision. If I'd thought about it at the time I could have taped the wing to the forward fuselage with gaffer tape and flown in the Barnum. The wing bolts were sound.

You may see me and my model in the group picture, second from the right, and in flight during the limbo at 39.36 when it goes under the crossbar and at 39.54 when it flies above and to the right of the obstacle. Then the engine cut and I force landed in the winter wheat damaging the wing's front attachment point where the dowel goes through the firewall. I should have been awarded another 20 points for the "passage," which would have moved me up from 54th to 50th position. I don't think I'll fire off an official complaint!

Roger Aubard, the best pilot in the club and once a competitor in the National Championships, crashes his model into the stanchion at 37.54 and there's an amusing section at 35.35-36.15 where a beautifully built Baron, no 223, with a cowling made to look like a WW1 Albatros, manages several touch and goes and Limbo passes even picking up some debris from another model in the process before it too crashes into the obstacle! It was the sole survivor of its group at the time. Mind you several groups were wiped out. By that I mean that all of the models which started the Limbo crashed before the Contest Director called time! This applied to my group too, the best and sole remaining pilot crashed into obstacle as the CD was counting down time. Fortunately for me and another four-stroke competitor we only suffered an engine cut.

I was plagued with engine cuts on the day while using a 13x4 prop on my OS 48 Surpass. I could understand the first failure. I had probably leaned out the mixture too much but in the Limbo I had flown for easily two or three minutes before the engine cut including one successful pass of the barrier and two which were high and wide. I consider myself to be good at adjusting engines so don't know why the engine cut during the Limbo. Once I've repaired the model I'll try running the engine without the cowling. It ran fine on a 10x8 in the pylon race.

There was a prize for the best crash! Someone was selling slot-together routed plywood fuselage kits. The No 66 pilot, one of the Corsica contingent who finished second last year, wrecked his model in the pylon race, bought a fuselage kit, assembled it, fitted the radio and engine, covered it in cling film and continued to participate in the competition! You can see him repair it from 26.04 onwards. He wrecked the repaired model in the Limbo!

The twin girls, though registered did not turn up this year and next year, after organising La Coupe for the last fifteen years, Vol Libre, have passed on the organisation of the next Coupe Des Barons to the club at Jonage. This will mean a 69 mile (109kms) shorter journey for me but it will be held in the flat country a few miles from the airport at Lyon, France's second biggest city, so it won't be the same.
Sep 20, 2019, 08:23 AM
Thread OP
There was a brief article about La Coupe lasting two minutes on the local television news station. Our club president Roger Aubard is seen at 0.45 adjusting Francois Dutreuil's model.

http://www.telegrenoble.net/replay/r...w_x7le9si.html
Sep 20, 2019, 06:54 PM
I watched the news cast. I couldn't understand a dern thing they said. They were jabbering in some foreign language.

You should have photo bombed so you could have been on the news. You would be famous.
Sep 21, 2019, 01:45 AM
Thread OP
The old guy said that he had been building models for over fifty years and in his second clip he said that another competitor had crashed into him during the pylon race and wrecked his model. I built my first model, a rubber powered free flight Keil Kraft Ajax when I was eleven. I'm seventy-one now so I suppose that I could claim that I've sixty years aeromodelling experience but then you'd have to subtract the sex 'n' drugs 'n' rock 'n' roll years. I noticed that this gentleman was a brother four-stroke pilot.

At 0.25 you can see Philip Charles assembling his bright green model. Philip was very helpful to me last year when I was at La Coupe all by myself, carrying my model to the start line and guiding me to the pilots' station. This year his son won a prize for being the youngest pilot in the competition. Both their models were wrecked!

The guy with the beard said that he's just had to pick up his "baby" in pieces!

Did I mention that I'd donated a prize to the leading four-stroke pilot ? 25 worth of balsa in four-foot lengths. In France of course, balsa wood is sold in one metre lengths. I've got a picture of him somewhere on this computer but every time I try tgo move it to "My Pictures," I'm told that the "...path is too long." Of course they don't tell you HOW to shorten it.
Sep 21, 2019, 05:08 AM
Thread OP
Someone on RCU suggested that I email the pictures to myself. It worked!

Christophe Pierre seems to be delighted with his prize. He only used an OS 40 Surpass too, so much for my concerns about needing a 52.!

Earlier on the official photographer snapped me and my mechanic in conversation with the same gentleman.
Last edited by Monza Red; Sep 21, 2019 at 05:14 AM.
Oct 07, 2019, 10:15 AM
Thread OP
How are you getting on with the youngster Tom?
Oct 08, 2019, 04:56 PM
Hi Monza. I haven't log in in a while but I did go flying for the first time in what seems like 3/4 of a year. It was fun. I flew the plane in my avitar. I only flew about 3 flights but now that the heat is abating I plane to fly more. Maybe sunday.

I haven't seen the young man I want to help out with flying. So no new news on him. But I haven't given up. And I haven't been flying anyway so its no big deal. But I am not through working on him. Thanks for asking.

Quick Reply