Dec 03, 2018, 05:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

low temperature battery that fits in Elf DLG?

I've been using a 150 mAh 1S lipo, but the radio doesn't seem to like that in cold weather. Hoping for something that delivers a little more voltage when it gets cold out, but I don't want to have to add tail weight and of course there isn't a lot of room in the nose.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2018, 07:43 PM
Voltage or battery capacity is not your problem. Your problem is the battery gets too cold for the chemical reaction to occur rendering your battery useless until the battery warms-up again. You need to look for different chemistry for your battery, one that likes colt temps.
Dec 03, 2018, 07:59 PM
lincoln, can you go with a bigger battery (I think you mentioned adding extra weight anyway on the elf). My 1s have been ok in the cold, but they are 350mah+, I don't know if that's giving some extra headroom before seeing a cold-related voltage drop.

Or maybe a fresh, higher C rated 150?

If you think it's really down to voltage, HV lipos are 3.8 nominal / 4.35 charged if you have the right charger, not sure if they come in 150mah though. Here's a slightly larger one: https://www.amazon.com/X-Racer-250ma.../dp/B0788S47RK
Dec 03, 2018, 08:19 PM
solastagia
Most of the mars landers seem to use Li-ion batteries for good low temperature performance:

"The use of Li-ion batteries has resulted in significant benefits in several categories, such as mass, volume, energy efficiency, self discharge, and above all low temperature performance."

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...oration_Rovers

Li-ion batteries typically have much lower C ratings than a LiPo, and a rigid case that adds more weight. The chemistry is similar between the two types, but the electrolyte may be more fluid in the Li-ion, providing better low temp performance.

Your best bet is a higher C rated and perhaps bigger capacity LiPo, as has already been mentioned. That will probably be the lowest added weight solution.

Kevin
Dec 03, 2018, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the suggestions, all.

The lipo is from Horizon and is rated 45C. I don't know how much it weighs, because my small scale is missing and the Horizon site often omits useful numbers.

I looked at the paper on the Mars lander batteries, but a quick read suggests they're special batteries with a different electrolyte. They live in a "warm" box, but on Mars, in this case, that means between 20 C and -20 C.
Dec 03, 2018, 10:37 PM
in awe of glide...
It's prob about 4g.
Maybe try insulating the battery in a little bit of foam. Keep it warm in your pocket and place/plug it in right before you launch.

A larger capacity battery has more mass which takes longer to cool down (in addition to the extra capacity)

In the winter i often use li-ion batteries in my headlamps because they can handle the cold better. Maybe you can fit a small Li-ion single cell under the wing right on the C of G. I have room there for ballast in my Elf.

Maybe even a large Lithium coin cell! Regular disposable Litium cells work better in the cold too.
Last edited by Kirkerik; Dec 03, 2018 at 10:43 PM.
Apr 22, 2019, 12:34 AM
Thread OP
It seems that my battery may be flaky when warm, too. Or else it's some other problem. I'll have to look into the HV option. Maybe that would give a little more headroom, even if it's only 0.2 volts more or something.
Apr 22, 2019, 02:37 PM
in awe of glide...
It could be your battery. May be damaged or compromised in some way. How much capacity goes back in the battery at recharge?
Obviously, keep them protected from heat and discharge them to storage V if not using them frequently.

Maybe something is drawing excess current onboard??

I often fly my elf w a 300mah 1s lipo. It will go for hours. I usually don't use much more than 100-120mah.

The smallest battery I have for my elf is 180mah. That usually has plenty of capacity remaining after my session.

Quick Reply