Rage R/C - Vintage Stick Micro RTF Airplane

A fun indoor flyer with an old-time feel!

Splash

The Rage R/C Micro Vintage Stick

From Rage RC:

The Rage R/C Micro Vintage Stick takes a step backward in time to a nostalgic look that evokes memories of yesteryear, but with modern carbon fiber materials and updated radio technologies, like 2.4GHz. This classic-appearing aircraft is not only a great way to build R/C piloting skills, but also an enjoyable model for experienced R/C enthusiasts to fly in compact areas. The Micro Vintage Stick is produced with simple and durable construction techniques, such as the carbon fiber "stick" airframe and foam flying surfaces. The featherweight (24g without battery) construction and high-capacity flight battery combine to deliver adequate power for aerobatics like loops, spins, and barrel rolls, or extended flight times when enjoying more relaxed flight maneuvers.

The Micro Vintage Stick features a factory-applied vintage WWI-style trim scheme with everything required to fly in the box; including a 2.4GHz 4-channel capable transmitter that also doubles as a charger for the 3.7V 150mAh LiPo flight battery, and integral control board with ESC and servos. The only additional items required are four AA batteries for the transmitter and you can enjoy flying a classic aircraft from a bygone era at your local park or gymnasium within minutes of opening the box!

Rage R/C Vintage Stick Ready to Fly (RTF) Airplane (2 min 9 sec)

Features:

• Ultralight wing loading allows for a wide flight performance envelope-from lazy figure 8's to loops, spins, and barrel rolls.
  • Rudder, Elevator and Throttle control.
  • Compact 400mm wingspan allows for easy transportation and storage.
  • Durable yet lightweight carbon fiber fuselage and frame.
  • 2.4GHz Airborne Control System with integrated servos, receiver, and ESC.
  • 2.4GHz transmitter provides interference-free link between pilot and aircraft.
  • Includes 1S 3.7v 150mAh Lipo battery for extended flight times

Specifications:

• Wingspan: 16 5/8" (422.3mm)
  • Length: 14 3/4" (374.7mm)
  • Wing Area: 75 sq.in. (4.84 dm/sq.)
  • Weight with Battery: 1 oz. (28g)
  • Battery: 1S 3.7v 150mAh Lipo
  • Transmitter: 4-channel capable, 2.4GHz system
  • Airplane Control: 3-Channels - throttle, rudder, elevator
  • On-Board-Electronics: Combination RX/ESC with integrated servos

Learn More!

Head over to Rage R/C for pricing and info.

Dec 04, 2018, 02:34 AM
RC is great fun!
This one looks nice. If it stays at the $69.99 price point, I think Rage will have a winner. They should do some different colors, make it better for people to fly them at the same time.
Dec 04, 2018, 10:17 AM
in awe of glide...
Looks like just what i was looking for, for my daughter!

Is this a Mode 2 Tx configuration?

What protocol does Rage use on their Transmitters/receivers?
Dec 04, 2018, 10:27 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkerik

Their own
Dec 04, 2018, 11:51 AM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkerik

Mode 2 it is. Notice how the left stick is sprung closed. Non-Proportional Throttle.
Dec 04, 2018, 11:53 AM
RCG Admin
It is proportional throttle control.
Dec 04, 2018, 11:08 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
I love micro stick planes like this!
Dec 05, 2018, 01:35 AM
AeroDan
[QUOTE=Jason Cole;40597843]It is proportional throttle control.[/QUOTE I I stand corrected, Jason. Now, I want one, too.
Dec 08, 2018, 02:41 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
I just pulled the trigger on this. I will swap the brick to a Spektrum from the Vapor HP that I got on black Friday sale. The Vapor HP has not impressed me at all, and at the price I paid, it was totally worth it just to get the brick receiver. I did the DSM receiver and 2S 180BL swap on the Rage Staggerwing, and that plane is great.
Dec 12, 2018, 03:51 PM
I'd be on this like white on rice if they had a Frsky ACCST protocol version. I'd probably still get it if they had a DSMX version. I don't like having a unique transmitter for each toy I own. Very comfortable with my every day Tx - and I even have DSMX module for when necessary.
Dec 13, 2018, 06:21 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
I'd be on this like white on rice if they had a Frsky ACCST protocol version. I'd probably still get it if they had a DSMX version. I don't like having a unique transmitter for each toy I own. Very comfortable with my every day Tx - and I even have DSMX module for when necessary.
Its not difficult to remove the stock receiver and install a UMX DSM receiver. When the RTF is price is so low, its worth the swap, IMO. Or in the case of the Rage Staggerwing, the PnP airframe with servos and motor is something like $75. Add your own DSM brick and you are up to the same price as a Horizon UMX.
Dec 13, 2018, 07:23 AM
You could always recover some of the cost of the conversion by selling the stock Tx and Rx. There are others like myself who are always looking for cheap R/C gear for scratchbuilds.

Rick
Dec 20, 2018, 10:02 PM

Two tips for VintageStick owners

First, this little plane is just terrific. One does have to actually fly it and it is fun. here's 2 tips if you buy one:
  • Cover the bottom of the wheel openings in the foam carrying case. so that the somewhat delicate foam wheels don't protrude below the bottom and get damaged when you slide the foam case into or out of the box.
  • Beef up each wheel by gluing thin card stck on at least one side the wheels or even a bit of Scotch tape will help.
This plane wiil ROG from the box it came in and can climb vertically. It is a heap of fun. I'd like to try it outside but I wonder about the range of the transmitter.
Last edited by Jim Deck; Dec 20, 2018 at 10:06 PM. Reason: s[pelling & grammar
Dec 26, 2018, 07:37 PM
I got a replacement motor but I can't get the old motor out of the holder!!
I even tried heating it, stuck solid!

What now???
Mar 17, 2019, 08:34 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
I just got one for an old friend to fly. This thing is way overpowered. Any ides how to slow It down for my old flying buddy. I was on the lowest throttle setting and it flew nice. One click down and it would shut off. On click higher and it was like a rocket. Very narrow "slow cruising" throttle range. HELP

Quick Reply