RDRC's First Control-Line Fly-In Event Coverage

Despite control line flight coming from the days before R/C, this segment of the hobby is still alive & well. Check out coverage taken from the first annual control line event at RDRC in Raleigh, NC.

Splash

Many of you in the hobby long enough probably grew up and got in to the hobby with control-line airplanes. Flying in circles with an engine you can't control, two 25' wires connected to a handle control your elevator until you run out of fuel...or get dizzy. If you've been to Joe Nall, or next time you do, check out the control-line circles over by the control tower and see if they'll let you give it a try! Until then, check out the report of this cool event from event coordinators Herbby Alford and Rodney Earp.

2018 RDRC Control Line Fun Fly (5 min 53 sec)

Report from RDRC

On November 10th we brought a whole different look to Raleigh Durham Radio Control (RDRC). After months of preparation and advertisements it was still hard to gauge the level of interest until the morning of the event. 4 70’ circles filled the areas around the shelter and 43 pilots filled those circles throughout the day with models that many may have thought was a hobby of the past. But I assure you Control Line modeling is still here and not going anywhere for a long time! Wind that morning was around 18 MPH and in the 50's but that didn’t stop guys from coming from 4 different states to enjoy flying C/L! Randy Birk and his son come all the way from Tennessee to fly with the guys, some come from West Virginia and South Carolina and others from North Carolina as far as Winston Salem.

All Different sizes of C/L filled the pits, we had 1/2a, combat and stunt planes of all different brands and engine sizes. Mr. Boone joined in helping out like he always does, here he is helping get a 1/2a running. I wished we had gotten a video of this thing flying. 25’ lines made for about a 3.5 second lap and a very quick loop. But, he did land it in one piece! A lot of the planes there were hand built and painted making them a one of a kind.

Everyone had a welcomed break as we devoured hot dogs right off the grill and then drew for some really nice prizes. Over $800 in pilot prizes thanks to Brodak, Raleigh Hobbies and RDRC! Many are talking about how much fun this was and others are talking about how they hated they missed it. If this looks like something you would like to try, then all you need to do is ASK! You can without expense, with little danger in crashing, we have been known to get a kick out of the dizzy guy.

If control-line interests you, please come out and join us next year!! Special thanks to Jeremy Alford for taking some great pictures and Steve Ballard for the overhead video!

Last edited by Nikolei Zinsli; Dec 04, 2018 at 09:51 PM..
Dec 05, 2018, 12:07 AM
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the video, and the soundtrack! Watched it twice in envy. There is nothing like that near me.
Dec 05, 2018, 05:37 AM
Congrads to the RDRC guys for putting together this no stress, no competition, fun event! I think this is going to get larger every year after talking with most pilots. Looking fwd to next years event already…...Gene
Dec 05, 2018, 09:05 AM
Wabi-Sabi
Excellent event, recapture the magic of C/L we grew up on!
Dec 05, 2018, 10:13 AM
IMO ,,, just going in circles ?? Maybe combat IMO might work ??
Or ,, maybe wearing FPV goggles ???
Oh,, I didn't see electric aircraft in there ... way less noise ! I've read many places have been shutdown because of people complaining of tooooo, much NOISE!!
I do ,,, see ,, one ,, thing that's a + it takes less space and less money for Club field ++ !
DanT
Last edited by DanT; Dec 05, 2018 at 10:26 AM.
Dec 05, 2018, 01:03 PM
Dan, there is more to flying control line in circles. Heck, we have a guy that flies from a wheel chair and seldom makes a full lap! He does inside and outside loops, figure eights, reverse wing overs etc. As far as FPV, controline guys are allready connected to the model thru the handle and lines that actually fly the model. That's about as first person as it gets. We had almost as many electric planes as ic models at the event, the video didn't show it that way. Control line may not be for everyone, but if ya try it you may just like it.
Dec 05, 2018, 07:09 PM
What a great day, flying C/L and making new friends in the hobby. Next year we’re planning 2 days for this event, November 9 & 10. We’re adding a place for RV camping at the field and Coffee. Hope others can come out and join us next year, we anticipate it’s going to be another great 2 day! Thanks to all that come this year, it was a pleasure meeting and flying with you!

Don’t forget “The Blast from the Past” Vintage fun fly we have in June! The fun fly focuses on R/C planes from the mid 80s and before, but will also have 2 C/L circles and a time to fly “Free Flight” models. This is our 3rd year and it’s growing, over 60 registered last year to fly. Something for everyone in this event so make your plans now and join us. Link for the flyer is below.

Blast from the Past Flyer
Dec 06, 2018, 08:49 PM

wheel chair flyer

hi

did I see a flyer sitting in a wheel chai at this fun fly event? if so can you fill in how they did it? what were they flying?

thanks
Dec 06, 2018, 09:17 PM
Wabi-Sabi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack5
hi

did I see a flyer sitting in a wheel chai at this fun fly event? if so can you fill in how they did it? what were they flying?

thanks
The late Ron Salo continued flying after he lost the use of his legs (stunt instead of speed&racing obviously), turning his wheelchair with one hand:
http://flyinglines.org/salo.html
Dec 06, 2018, 10:06 PM
Ron was a great guy. Here is a video I found with a guy in a powered wheelchair.
Flying Control Line Model Plane from a Wheel Chair (9 min 7 sec)
I was looking for some video of John Buckner in Arizona. The club paved a small section in the centre of the circle, and he wheels it around with one hand. Mostly stunters, but he does go in circles as well. Sometimes with a throttle.
Dec 07, 2018, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack5
hi

thanks
Yes, you did see a guy at the RDRC event fly control line from a wheel chair. His name is Al Takach, and he was flying a Cardinal with an OS 35s. Al flies with us every weekend, and he is capable of flying the entire pattern from the chair....Gene
Dec 07, 2018, 10:18 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
https://www.facebook.com/23582286657...2750245942636/

Wayne Welch in Lubbock
Dec 07, 2018, 10:12 PM
I attended RDRC's Control Line Fun Fly
Arrived early and stayed till the end. I didn't want it to end. Everything just clicked along, non-stop flying, good friends and food.
Can't wait until the next one!!!
Al Takatsch
Dec 11, 2018, 03:49 PM

whee chari flying

hi

I now see myself flying I had a stroke a few years back and event today I am trying to keep my modeling alive. big thanks maybe we can meet some day.

how long did it take you to relearn flying? what steps did you use to relearn your flying skills?

I thank electric may be best for me.

happy flying
Dec 11, 2018, 05:28 PM
Hi Mack5,
My disability came about from hereditary arthritis in the hips. Five operations later have put me in a powered chair in 2000.
I already knew how to fly CL, just needed to learn how to do it with the chair.

I'm building a Electric Vector 40 now, hopefully it flys well.
Al T.

Quick Reply