Jim Aero Neutrino F5J Progress Update & Video

Our first look at a real life Neutrino F5J plane from Jim Aero. See photos and video below.

Splash

Neutrino F5J First Flights!

When I first heard about the Neutrino back in July all we had were renderings and design drawings to look at. I knew Jim Aero made great stuff with the success of the Aloha and the rest of their line so I was pretty excited for a new 4M F5J ship for high level competition. They've been hard at work getting the molds, design and details just right and now we have our first look at a real life Neutrino along with a flight video of the maiden.

It looks amazing and the video shows off some great flying characteristics with tight thermal turns and a fantastic glide ratio. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these bad boys. Serial production should be cranking up in the next few days so we won't have to wait too much longer. In the meantime, here's a couple of photos and the video for your viewing pleasure.

Dec 03, 2018, 01:50 PM
rrg
rrg
Very nice. I thought it was going to hang forever there at the end..!!
Dec 03, 2018, 03:59 PM
This style of flight is new to me and I'm amazed at how much lift those wings must generate to let it fly so slowly and just it just seems like it's floating, and not paying attention to gravity at all - I'm more used to model planes that have to fly fast or fall out of the sky and have the glide ratio of a brick, lol. Very nicely done! I would love to fly something like that one day.
Dec 03, 2018, 04:17 PM
RCG Admin
They are amazing Joe! And just wait until you catch your first thermal and climb up and away. It's just so cool.
Dec 04, 2018, 11:18 AM
SagittaXC
That flies really amazing!!! Who will be selling these once on the market??? Jack
Dec 04, 2018, 11:41 AM
RCG Admin
Soaring USA will be selling these.
Dec 05, 2018, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash
This style of flight is new to me and I'm amazed at how much lift those wings must generate to let it fly so slowly and just it just seems like it's floating, and not paying attention to gravity at all - I'm more used to model planes that have to fly fast or fall out of the sky and have the glide ratio of a brick, lol. Very nicely done! I would love to fly something like that one day.
Joe, these ships are so far beyond what any of us could have imagined in the long gone days of our youth with Oly IIís and Paragons. But one lesson to learn, just like fighters of WWI versus F-35ís, it is not a matter of a lot of lift but enough lift versus minimum drag (which was just backwards in WWI). What you see in this ship is light weight and clean aerodynamics, not a lot of lift. One of the lessons learned over time in all soaring is designing just enough lift to do the job, in addition to unbelievablely light weight and clean aerodynamics.

Small or large, RC sailplanes are amazing. Then mix an electric propulsion unit to them, and it just gets better.

Marc
Dec 05, 2018, 11:56 AM
Small or large, RC sailplanes are amazing. Then mix an electric propulsion unit to them, and it just gets better.

Marc[/QUOTE]

Marc,

You heretic! While I completely agree, I can see the purists lining up outside your door with the vat of tar and a bag of feathers!

Dave R.
Dec 05, 2018, 03:51 PM
Dave, What can I say...

Marc
Dec 07, 2018, 11:18 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
FINALLY! people are seeing the light! I was saying this back when I bought my first Hobie hawk
in the mid 70s

JERRY

PS EDIT: how bout some specs on this fine looking plane<< airfoil,, AUW, aspect ratio, wing area, airfoil thickness
etc
Last edited by Airman74; Dec 07, 2018 at 11:27 AM.
Dec 07, 2018, 11:41 AM
RCG Admin
I’m sure final specs and details will be available shortly.

Quick Reply