May 24, 2019, 12:47 AM

Good cheap drift micro!

After seeing Beavers video thought I would post my experience with this car. We bought 6 of them as cheap drift cars and to see what they go like. I have about 6 1/2 hours running on mine, 8 packs. They are awesome. Drift better than my brushless mini Z that was 10! times the price. If yours seems to have a dodgy reverse (sometimes doesn't work and when trim is down goes into reverse randomly) make sure there is no rubbing with any of the wheels through the suspension travel and the throttle trim to maximum as that sorted any issues we came across. Apart from that make sure you tighten the wheels and unplug and re-plug all the connecters in as they come loose from the factory. I have attached some photos of the easy way to fit mini z bodies. Just bend the metal back brace and cut the front off and use a mini-z front mounting bracket. All the holes and mounting marks are there so takes 2 minutes. Depending on the body you may need to dremel out a small bit of the rear wheel well space. 100% recommend.
Last edited by mikeyNZ; May 24, 2019 at 01:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2019, 04:51 AM
Low budget fun
Great job! This will work with any car that has rear spoiler. Isn't this body 90mm? So you had to shave the rear wheel arches off.
May 24, 2019, 05:50 AM
Yes, 90mm so took about a mm off the rear. Looking forward to seeing how you modify it. Interested in what if any upgrade parts work. To be honest it works fine as is but will be interesting to follow.
Last edited by mikeyNZ; May 24, 2019 at 06:13 PM.
Jun 08, 2019, 04:34 AM

2nd car done

Here is my second one of these (I bought 3). Was trying to make it look like the Carlos Sainz edition Celica. Again just had to remove the inner ribs and did the same magnet mount as the WRX above.

With modding I now have one that has nearly all metal drive-train parts and this just has the Kyosho wheels and tires. Have probably over 30 hours running on stock electrics. I like the gyro and smaller transmitter and have had no failures. Rock solid. I would recommend the only thing to upgrade is the wheels and tires, adding metal components seems to do nothing and the stock plastic is super tough.
Jul 23, 2019, 08:10 AM
Micro fan
Wow, looks great! I had my eye on the TR-Q1 but the lack of body options were a big turnoff for me. And Beaver_XT's excellent video on the budget drift upgrades had me searching again for it.

So any 90mm body with a spoiler will be able to mount the way you did it? I see the white body FC/FD are 90mm, have spoilers, and of course are perfect drift bodies. The AE86 does not have a spoiler, so it wouldn't work, according to what Beaver_XT said?

EDIT: Ah, just read Beaver_XT's comment in the other thread for this car. "All 94mm bodies will fit without grinding wheel arches."

So, two good options for 94mm drift bodies are Supra and R32. Damn, I'd definitely prefer the FC/FD but not sure I'd want to grind the wheel arches.
Last edited by darkNiGHTS; Jul 23, 2019 at 08:19 AM.
Jul 23, 2019, 04:55 PM
Low budget fun
There're Toyota GT86, Subaru BRZ and Nissan 350Z too.
Also there are EVO X and all Nissan GTRs for authentic AWD cars.
Jul 24, 2019, 03:42 AM
This is the Porsche GT3 RS its 90mm no sanding done just a snug fit.
Last edited by hedgeheli; Jul 24, 2019 at 04:45 AM.

Quick Reply