Aug 24, 2019, 05:07 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg
You do know FMS did one.. And there already is a UMX out there...
There isn't a true 2s bl UMX version, made by HH/Eflite. Only that 1s brushed version that's not made by HH, which some people have modified to use a 2s bl UMX brick. Regarding UMX - when I use the term 'UMX' - I'm always referring to the brand-specific, modern, 2s bl UMX planes made by Horizon - not conversions done by RCers or the old 1s pager-motor-powered stuff.

Also - the FMS version has been discontinued.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Aug 24, 2019 at 05:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2019, 06:01 PM
Arrowhead
Horizon had a foam Staggerwing a few years back. PZ or E-Flite.
Aug 24, 2019, 06:32 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Horizon had a foam Staggerwing a few years back. PZ or E-Flite.
Eflite had a very non-scale Staggerwing 480 ARF some time ago. It's so old, it used air retracts, and the replacement parts have long been discontinued. They also sold the blue 1.1m FMS version & the red RocHobby version before they were discontinued. Parts are no longer available for those, as well.

Anyway - I'm talking about a modern scale Staggerwing with modern electronics & scale retracts.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Aug 24, 2019, 06:44 PM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden
This is an awesome post. Dang, do I wait for this new one to come out or pull the trigger on that F-16?

I agree with this, they fly great too......all of the RC version I have flown and seen flown anyway!

GB
In all honesty the Thunderbirds F-16 seems like an awesome plane.... I personally do not like the Thunderbirds scheme at all, and much prefer the paint job on the 64mm F-16 but then that is a fixed-gear plane without all the goodies the Tbird F-16 has.
Aug 24, 2019, 07:06 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Although not a Warbird, Always wondered of the De Havilland Rapide..
Certainly not of mainstream and wouldn't get produced but it is the only configuration I don't have....
A Biplane Twin !!
Aug 24, 2019, 09:59 PM
Fly as high as the Sun
If a Staggerwing was produced as a biplane release, I would be highly disappointed.....retracts on a biplane?.....just doesn't fit.

For me, a biplane represents the earliest days of aviation, basically a motorized kite.
Aug 24, 2019, 10:21 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
Well...it IS a biplane.

So, I take it that you don't like Pitts Specials or any of the other modern high-performance, unlimited aerobatic biplanes that can go over 200 MPH & have unlimited vertical? I LOVE 'em! Got to do 1.5 hrs of all-out unlimited aerobatics in a 350 HP Pitts that could do 3D - including KE loops, and the ability to tailslide & then accelerate straight up for miles! We pulled over +9 & -3.5 Gs. Was the most fun I've ever had legally in my life!

I see the Staggerwing as a major milestone in world aviation - a stepping-stone between the slow, draggy, wire-rigged biplanes with undercambered wings of the WWI era that cruised @ ~60 MPH w/top-speeds in the 70-80 MPH range, and the streamlined 400+ MPH fighters of the '40s! It carried 4 people at nearly 3 times the Vne of a Jenny. Hell - it was built way back in '32, yet it was 30 MPH faster than my dad's 6-seat Cessna 185! It set a number of records at the air races in the '30s & introduced a number of innovations that set the stage for US WWII fighters to dominate the war! Not only had retracts, but had a retractable tailwheel, as well! Flew around the world back in the '30s, too!

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Aug 25, 2019 at 11:32 AM.
Aug 24, 2019, 11:44 PM
Will somebody please make a Grumman Duck!
Aug 25, 2019, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncebk2003
Will somebody please make a Grumman Duck!
A duck would be awesome! The other one I would throw out there is the Fairey Swordfish. One of the most inconvenient things about a biplane is transport, as they are quite bulky even at smaller spans. If someone did the scale wingfold on a Swordfish, it would be much easier to move around and store.
Aug 25, 2019, 07:43 AM
Tyro of the Hudson
Nice, with that long fuselage I imagine she would be a nice flyer. I suspect to do those folding wings you might have to step up to aluminum. Or just make them removable where the original folds.
Aug 25, 2019, 07:47 AM
Arrowhead
The Staggerwing was the general aviation equivalent of a Cadillac or Mercedes in its day. Yeah it seems odd having a bipe with retracts, but hey - whatever! Personally I’d rather see one released in a civil scheme. I find the Staggerwings in military garb ugly. That’s just me tho.

The DH Dragon Rapide did see military service, so a model in RAF camouflage would be legit. I’d love to have a model of one. It’s such a cool, unusual plane.
Aug 25, 2019, 11:35 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
Wow, I wasn't familiar with the DH Rapide until you mentioned it! I'd go for one of those!

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Aug 25, 2019, 11:49 AM
Fly and let Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Wow, I wasn't familiar with the DH Rapide until you mentioned it! I'd go for one of those!

Joel
Who?
Aug 25, 2019, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
MThe DH Dragon Rapide did see military service, so a model in RAF camouflage would be legit. Id love to have a model of one. Its such a cool, unusual plane.
Id love a DH Rapide, but I would think youd have to fly it carefully, I should think the stall could be quite nasty, drop a wing on you very quickly
Aug 25, 2019, 01:23 PM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
In all honesty the Thunderbirds F-16 seems like an awesome plane.... I personally do not like the Thunderbirds scheme at all, and much prefer the paint job on the 64mm F-16 but then that is a fixed-gear plane without all the goodies the Tbird F-16 has.
It does indeed and I happen to love the Thunderbirds scheme too. If they have a nose cone replacement in stock, I probably would have already clicked the button, but I am told it has been out of stock since April

Quick Reply