May 06, 2019, 12:37 PM
Hello everyone, I joined this forum just to tell you my experience with these UDI005 Arrow boats.

I bought two of them from an eBay seller last month.

We took them to a calm and very clean man-made lake.

One of the boats stopped running after about a minute. The flex shaft had broken in between the collet on the motor and the metal tube.

I contacted the seller and they agreed to send me a new flex shaft once the part arrived at their warehouse.

I have no idea how long this will take.

We were able to run the other boat for 6 more battery charges before the flex shaft broke.

So now we have two boats that are completely disabled. Plus the second boat also has a small crack in the hull just below the motor.

I've been searching for the replacement "steel rope" which is part number UDI005-09.

The part is simply not sold online at any website. No one on eBay or Amazon has it. It is listed on two relatively unknown sites (WL Toys and YouSky7). They are out of stock on WL Toys. I tried ordering it from YouSky7 and they refunded my money the next day.

They informed me that the part is no longer being produced.

So since I'm still in my 60 day return window, I'm going to ask the eBay seller to take back the boats. Which is a shame, because they are a lot of fun when they are working.

Have any of you found a reliable source for UDI005 parts?

To me it seems like the UDI RC company is out of business. Their website barely works with a news section that hasn't been updated since 2017. They also didn't respond to my email after a week. Their Facebook page hasn't been updated since 2017.

I appreciate any information you might have. Thank you.
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2019, 08:01 PM
Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about the issues!

I don't own these boats, but my suggestion would to try and fine a different boat that has similar parts (Barbwire comes to mind) and swapping the parts off that boat into yours. You'd have to replace the flexshaft tube, flexshaft, and likely the motor coupler, but it would be relatively simple and allow parts to be easy to find to replace.

I found this website, which appears to have UDI boat parts, but might not be the ones you need. They are also based in Australia, but might ship to the US (I'm assuming that's where you live) http://www.supercheaphobbies.com.au/...c-429_632.html
May 06, 2019, 10:01 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Whenever one shops for a new boat, it's always a good to check on replacement part availability 1st.
May 06, 2019, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about the issues!

I don't own these boats, but my suggestion would to try and fine a different boat that has similar parts (Barbwire comes to mind) and swapping the parts off that boat into yours. You'd have to replace the flexshaft tube, flexshaft, and likely the motor coupler, but it would be relatively simple and allow parts to be easy to find to replace.

I found this website, which appears to have UDI boat parts, but might not be the ones you need. They are also based in Australia, but might ship to the US (I'm assuming that's where you live) http://www.supercheaphobbies.com.au/...c-429_632.html
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I actually did order the 20cm flex shaft for a Barbwire XL but it ended up being 2cm too short since the UDI005 has a 22cm flex shaft. Maybe I could try sliding the tube into the boat 2cm to make it work.

I've also ordered a 25cm flex shaft for a Volantec boat from BangGood.com. I have a friend who claims we can solder the area to be cut and use a Dremel rotary tool to trim off the extra 3cm.

I'll check out that Australian site.

Although I must admit that I'm leaning towards returning these two boats and getting one nicer Pro Boat model. Pro Boat seems to have excellent parts support.

Thanks again.
May 06, 2019, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Whenever one shops for a new boat, it's always a good to check on replacement part availability 1st.
Yes, I've definitely learned that lesson.

I should have known from my experience with Redcat Racing R/C trucks. My old Volcano monster truck was the same as many other generic Chinese trucks so there were tons of spare parts for very cheap prices on eBay.

The newer Redcat Blackout truck that my friend got only had parts available from Redcat for much higher prices.

Thank you.
May 07, 2019, 04:27 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Try modding the existing motor mount to shift it back 2 cm, as I did with my XL for other reasons.

You can also cut a longer cable with the Dremel and a cut-off friction wheel by wrapping tape around the portion to be cut.

Whatever the fix, happy boating!
May 07, 2019, 08:16 PM
If you know the diameter and length, you may be able to order flex shafts for those boats from Alibaba.com or AliExpress.com
May 08, 2019, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Try modding the existing motor mount to shift it back 2 cm, as I did with my XL for other reasons.

You can also cut a longer cable with the Dremel and a cut-off friction wheel by wrapping tape around the portion to be cut.

Whatever the fix, happy boating!
Thank you for the tips.

I think I'll try cutting a 25cm flex shaft for a Volantec Atomic down to 22cm using that method.

Although I already requested a return. I'll see what the seller says.

I might go with a Feilun FT011 or a Pro Boat in the future since they have excellent parts support.
May 08, 2019, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarusdanoob
If you know the diameter and length, you may be able to order flex shafts for those boats from Alibaba.com or AliExpress.com
Thanks, I will check out those sites.

I think I already found a good replacement. The 25cm flex shaft for a Volantec Atomic should work.

It is also 3mm flex shaft with a 4mm prop shaft and comes with a drive dog and propeller for about $8 on Bang Good.

I'll just have to cut it down to 22cm.
May 09, 2019, 10:32 AM
Thread OP

UDiRC UDI005 Arrow RC Boat review - rerun

Hi fellow rc enthusiasts

UDiRC UDI005 RC Boat review. After my first disappointing run in my first review of this UDiRC UDI005 Arrow Brushless High Speed RC Boat, I mod and change the battery connecter to a XT60 plug and use a higher c-rating battery with a great result.

UDiRC UDI005 Arrow Brushless RC Boat review - Rerun with a good result (7 min 20 sec)
May 09, 2019, 12:49 PM
Hi Bill, that's a nice video.

Our Arrow boats were fun and fast while the flex shaft lasted.

Have you had a problem with the flex shaft breaking easily?

I already returned my two UDI005 boats. I was worried about the lack of parts support from UDI RC.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I'll be reading the forum to research our next purchase. Maybe a Feilun FT011 or a Pro Boat since they have tons of spare parts available.
May 09, 2019, 01:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul79UF
Hi Bill, that's a nice video.

Our Arrow boats were fun and fast while the flex shaft lasted.

Have you had a problem with the flex shaft breaking easily?

I already returned my two UDI005 boats. I was worried about the lack of parts support from UDI RC.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I'll be reading the forum to research our next purchase. Maybe a Feilun FT011 or a Pro Boat since they have tons of spare parts available.
Hi Paul

Thank you for watching and sorry to see the problems with the flex shaft that you have had. I have not done many runs with this and have not experienced any problems with the flex shaft, but I will keep an eye on this. This is a great craft and better support and availability of spares from UDiRC would definately make this more appealing.
Nov 19, 2019, 01:14 PM

Arrow boats

My brother bought this boat. It runs great but has a few issues. 1st issue is the squealing you see in the video. The shrink wrap on the motor connectors are not fully insulated so they make contact and then short. It will squeal and not go. I fully insulated them. However a short while later the red bullet connector came off the solder joint. I resoldered it problem solved. It could of been the later issue. I removed the flex once so far and regreased it, runs smoother. Added a 4m40m 1.4 pitch as stock is 39.5. Runs faster! He did just crash it and the intake nipple broke off the bottom. No biggie I made one from aluminum and made the hole bigger, better flow. I did crash my modified black marlin into it..made a mark on the upper deck but cant seem to find a replacement. It was a hard hit and the hull is pretty strong. The LVC cuts his batteries off at 3.8 sometimes 3.9 it varies and it seems it can be run for 3 to 5 mins...not very long. I did change the ec3 connectors to a deans. My next plan is to replace the ESC with a 50 to 90 amp to get a more accurate LVC. We plan to try it on 4s. I just dont know what the stock ESC is but is a big beast...currently the boat is split. And for the previous poster...dont get a FT011...its junk. I hate it. Get a vector 70 much better but no self righting.
Nov 19, 2019, 01:18 PM

Pictures

Some pics
Nov 20, 2019, 02:07 AM
Shark in the pond!
Hi Paul

I too was very tempted to get the Feilun FT011 it's a good looking boat, it looks fast and at a good price with all included.

However I had had previous problems with 2 FT009 Feilun boats I bought, one wouldnt run at all, the replacement managed only 6 to 8 runs, so this put me off the Feiluns completely.

Then I made another decision to regret and bought an Angry Shark, I still dont have it working yet, not the boats fault but the amount of work I had to do first like stopping the flood chamber from leaking etc was a chore and I think now I will be disappointed by its performace even before I've run it, so I wouldnt recommend this one.

If I was to choose again, I think I would simply pay more money for a better boat, maybe I would look towards TFL. Good luck

Not Paul
Last edited by Not Paul; Nov 20, 2019 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Very bad spelling

Quick Reply