Nov 30, 2018, 12:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Futaba radio advice

First of all i would like to say hi to every one here on the forums as im a new member here.
But i have a question maybe someone can answer me that. Bought a heli (thunder tiger innovator md530 with mode 2 radio)long time ago and i donīt like the radio it came with. I would like to change the radio to a futaba one (futaba t8j s-fhss). But the problem is the innovator has this built in receiver. It does have a small switch which can be switched to a futaba or jr radio. But i donīt know which futaba radio is compatible. It says on the transmitter that it is i-fhss. Is that compatible with s-fhss? Could somebody tell me which radios are compatible whit this heli? I really donīt want to buy something that is not good for this heli. Or should i ask elsewhere like in the heli section?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2018, 12:53 PM
Team Futaba
I would shoot Thunder Tiger an email and ask them.
Nov 30, 2018, 01:42 PM
Suspended Account
you need a radio with module port in case you want to bind that built in receiver. (Futaba/JR switch)

http://stock.thundertiger.com/product/AQ2258.html
http://stock.thundertiger.com/product/AQ2272.html
Nov 30, 2018, 03:37 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the advice. What radios do have a module port? What models of Futaba?
Nov 30, 2018, 03:51 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by szabojozef
Thank you for the advice. What radios do have a module port? What models of Futaba?
No current Futaba radio uses a module, so the device shown above will not work with any current Futaba radio.
Nov 30, 2018, 04:23 PM
Thread OP
Thank you. Im getting closer. Is there any previous radio with a module port. If so which ones. Or maybe som new ones but other makes. The website states two possible makes one is Jr an the other is Futaba.
Dec 02, 2018, 05:11 PM
well for the old style futaba module you can use a FF8, 9CAP, 9ZAP, and some hitec radios, there are probably others. and for the JR type module you can probably use an FRsky radio like the X7 or taranis or Horus which are current radios.
Dec 03, 2018, 03:27 PM
Thread OP
Superb. Many thanx. I think i will go with the Frsky transmitter. Watched tons of reviews comparison videos to other stuff so maybe i decided to go down the frsky route. The only concern is the reliability. I do believe in one thing and that is you get what you pay for. Hopefully it wont happen on this occasion.
Dec 03, 2018, 03:32 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Superb. Many thanx. I think i will go with the Frsky transmitter. Watched tons of reviews comparison videos to other stuff so maybe i decided to go down the frsky route. The only concern is the reliability. I do believe in one thing and that is you get what you pay for. Hopefully it wont happen on this occasion.
The reality with FrSky is that they have cut corners in two areas, and got significant cost savings as a result, which they've passed on to consumers.

1. Documentation. Their documentation is terrible even by RC standards. The community and some dealers have addressed this. Good tech writers are not cheap.

2. Software development. FrSky leverages open source software for their low & mid-range radio, allowing them to save development costs in this area.

The result is that they can deliver great prices and reliability, but lousy documentation.
Dec 03, 2018, 06:42 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Good tech writers are not cheap.
they are cheap because they don't get paid for every single printed manual. (copyright)
Dec 03, 2018, 10:28 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
. The only concern is the reliability. .
It's really not the concern it might have once been. My X9D Plus is actually quite a nice piece of hardware. And other than a couple button cover fails the X12 is solid kit and best screen in the biz.
Dec 04, 2018, 03:07 AM
my X9D is 2 years old and I've never had an issue with it, I would not hesitate in buying another Frsky radio, not that i need another, I have an X7S, X9D and X10S. I don't like the look of the X lite style controllers so I won't ever have one of those.
Dec 04, 2018, 07:47 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse
they are cheap because they don't get paid for every single printed manual. (copyright)
You've clearly never tried to hire a good technical writer.

getting paid for every manual printed has nothing to do with the costing.
Dec 04, 2018, 12:46 PM
Suspended Account
let me clear this up. the Aloft Hobbies book is $14 if you sell 1000 books your get 14.000 U$
if that writer was ever hired by Frsky he only would get paid once 3.000, 4.000 U$ or so... not more.
Dec 04, 2018, 12:57 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse
let me clear this up. the Aloft Hobbies book is $14 if you sell 1000 books your get 14.000 U$
if that writer was ever hired by Frsky he only would get paid once 3.000, 4.000 U$ or so... not more.
Yep, clearly never hired a technical writer.

He'd get paid once or twice a month....(hint, go look up what hiring means).

Also a lot more than one manual.

Quick Reply