I Got to Fly at the Lump Overlook!

After nearly a year, a waiver to fly at The Lump Overlook off the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC was obtained!

Splash

Federal Waiver Was Approved!!

Back in January I wrote an article about the ban on model flying in National Parks. We had heard about waivers getting obtained by clubs working with the AMA for permission to fly in parks and through that article, we set in motion a plan to get The Lump Overlook opened back up for flying.

The Lump is where I learned to fly sailplanes and has a long history of RC soaring and safety. The AMA felt confident and with the High Country Soaring Society Club charted, they went to work. The process is obviously slow, but less than a year later, the waiver was given and we can now fly again at The Lump. I travelled back to the mountains over Thanksgiving to visit family so I had to make a special trip out on the Parkway and visit my old flying site. I want to say Thank You to all involved in the process. I can't wait to get back when the weather warms up and do some more flying.

Note:

Keep in mind that not just anyone can fly there. There are rules, like you have to have your AMA, be a member of the club and no drones are allowed. If you are in the area and want to fly, contact me and I can put you in touch with the club guys for more info.

Nov 29, 2018, 03:29 PM
the occasional flyer
Wow, congrats. I did grad school at VA Tech, and never flew off the BRP.

-David
Nov 29, 2018, 05:37 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Well done, great work Jason! Congratulations!

So do you think this will pave the way for other Federal sites to be available? I'm thinking particularly of Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan, where a run-in of a quadcopter pilot with a ranger shut the place down to all RC several years ago. It would be great if the AMA had a packet including contact information, forms, and procedures to get this done at other sites.

-= Dave
Nov 29, 2018, 05:54 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
I'm very proud of my fellow club members for their dedication in getting the lump open again, and I'm looking forward to our first club trip up there!!
Nov 29, 2018, 07:04 PM
Wait, does this mean I can stop converting the Gentle Lady to motor powered?
Nov 29, 2018, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedg33k
Wait, does this mean I can stop converting the Gentle Lady to motor powered?
Nope..keep the conversion going. Trust me, there are days you'll need a motor up there..plus flying at the normal field...
Nov 29, 2018, 11:15 PM
Soar high, huck low
Congratulations to all! I’ll need to see if I can get up there this spring. I’ve been flying my whole life but never sloped for real.
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Nov 29, 2018, 11:46 PM
The rc plane community needs to establish a distinguishment between our toys that are flown via line of site, and fpv drones purchased at Walmart.

This post by Jason Cole is a small victory amidst a huge war. I'm not happy to see it, because it shouldn't even be necessary. I don't like AMA or club fees. I especially don't like crotchety stressed out people enforcing the rules at places that have them. It would be way better to fly for free, freely.

Sites are lost because of the public's inability to distinguish a remote controlled glider from the average DJI Drone.
Nov 30, 2018, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich
Congratulations to all! I’ll need to see if I can get up there this spring. I’ve been flying my whole life but never sloped for real.
Lemme know if you can swing it. It'd be great to fly with you again!
Nov 30, 2018, 06:53 AM
Soar high, huck low
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYOS
Lemme know if you can swing it. It'd be great to fly with you again!
For sure. Maybe we can organize a low key “fun fly”
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Nov 30, 2018, 08:53 AM
Congratulations; Glad that you had some reasonable folks at the National Parks to work with. Was the FAA involved at all?

Tom f.
Latest blog entry: Tom's tips & tricks
Nov 30, 2018, 09:49 AM
Great Work! I was in that area a couple years ago and thought at the time "if I only brought my gliders it would be a great place to fly", I would be up for a fun fly if ever organized.
Nov 30, 2018, 01:27 PM
Fancypicker
Can't wait to see you guys there and fly some! Great work to all that helped make this happen.
Nov 30, 2018, 04:48 PM
Forward ever, backward never!
That's good stuff, Jason!!!

I was down that way earlier this year. Took my daughter to Asheville for spring break, and we spent quite a bit of time on and around the BRP. Absolutely loved everything about the area! It was our first visit, and definitely not our last.

I had no idea there was a former (and now reopened) slope flying site just off the BRP!

That's one more reason to get back to WNC soon!
Nov 30, 2018, 05:06 PM
Please post a copy of the waiver so other clubs could show it to their park superintendent that it has been done and he's not the first. I think the important things are: AMA Membership and Club Membership required. Clubs requiring a signed safety declaration from all members. Safety stressed every meeting. Permitting sailplanes only (no noise) - I'd like to get electric sailplanes OK'd as well but that might muddy the water. Probably better to go with sailplanes first, establish a track record and then demo electric sailplanes and try to get an amendment to the waiver. And yes, the AMA should take leadership on this.

Quick Reply