Jun 16, 2019, 11:28 AM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
Canada Jim,

It’s a life lesson for her. Things don’t always work out.

We have Agassiz to look forward to next month. Hope to see you and your granddaughter there. Oh, and Kamloops in September. Get her on the buddy cord between now and then.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2019, 12:34 PM

Vernon Cancellation

Jim,

I'm as sorry as you that we have to cancel, but it's a significant problem when there are no tugs. In fact our repair of the Pegasus took another setback when the supplier sent us the incorrect ignition which makes its attendance probability now zero. That leaves yours as the only tug, and guys coming from the Northwest states, Calgary and the lower mainland with larger sailplanes that your tug would be hard pressed to manage. That, plus having only one tug leaves us badly exposed if you have a mechanical issue and have to shut down.

We lost one of our large tugs to a gravity surge, and three others to retirement. At least two of those were at Vernon last year and the year before. We have two great new tug pilots out of the Bellingham area, but they have another commitment. Our last fallback, who was also at Vernon last year, let us know relatively late that he can't make it, even though he would love to. There you have it; beaten by timing and fate.

We purchased one of the retired tugs (previously mentioned Pegasus), and the other two are for sale; one 100cc version in Maple Ridge for an excellent price, and a 170cc Bidule in Tri-Cities area of Washington which can also be had at below-market price. We'd love to have more tug pilots, but nobody has bought in to these good offerings yet.

Again, sorry! Some of us only fly at aerotows, and there aren't that many so losing one hits our fun time too! As Don says, maybe we can make it up to you at Agassiz or Kamloops.

Dave Smith
Last edited by Seadog; Jun 16, 2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added information
Jun 16, 2019, 03:32 PM
Hey, she’s had enough “life lessons “ thanks.....
Jun 16, 2019, 10:23 PM
Jim, can you and your grand daughter make it to Aggisiz? It's only a 3hr drive from Vernon. I am disappointedtoo as I have been working feverishly trying to get my scaley ready to maiden before the Vernon aerotow happened.

I had planned to use a winch for the test flight but now I think it will be motor launched for flying St Annes. My winch is pretty weak. About right for a supra without pulsing .
Jun 17, 2019, 10:29 AM
Doug, it is incredibly difficult to get a 12 year old girl to buy into this stuff in the first place, there is no way I'm going to put her through this kind of thing again, especially to organize a trip out of town. From here on in we will be conducting our own aerotow program and we will rely on ourselves only to provide positive experiences. We will be at the field both saturday and sunday, if you would like a tow or help for your maiden. We were waiting for some experienced help in maidening our scale project as I am a believer in secondary airworthiness inspections, and to get some help from people with more experience in hunting lift etc...............

Part of my issue is that I took the time to communicate directly with this event organizer our intentions, as I was bring a junior member. I rarely look at this forum anymore, and was only going to post about the long range forecast, when I read about the cancellation. Lucky I did, or we would have been the only ones at the party...........I feel at the very least I was owed a specific communication that the event was cancelled. I also feel that if a call would have went out there would have been several local 100cc mid-wing aerobat guys willing to participate with enough flying skill and experience to make it work. Youtube is littered with video's of this kind of tow configuration working just fine....... Anyway, hope to see you at the field this weekend Doug, and we can work together.
Jun 17, 2019, 03:41 PM
I would not take a tow from a towplane without a release. I guess some people are doing it with foamy s and gliders light enough for a velcro release but if a strong towline is involved there must be a release on both ends and a weak link as well! I am sure that we have capable pilots and airplanes in our club that could do the job but there should be safe setup.

I would ask your granddaughter if she wants to go to Aggisiz tow. Let her decide if she is up to it. You could just go for a day.

I hope to be at the feild on the weekend, but I am planning to use a winch. Have you ever winch launched a glider. I would guess your big glider would best be lauched ROG or with a dolly. It looks pretty big on the photo.
Jun 17, 2019, 04:49 PM
Doug, I have never used a winch and would love to see how it is used. I am very curious how your glider runs on it without a release? is it like a hi-start with a wire bent toward the tail that the plane just runs past? If that is a safer way to maiden the scale glider I would definitely appreciate the ability to do that.
Jun 17, 2019, 05:34 PM
Ok, I just re-read your post and wonder if your thinking my Skywolf doesn't have a release.........on that you would be wrong, that is what the stantion is on the back there....I even had to upgrade to a 16ch radio as my 10 did not have enough to run the release.
Last edited by canada_jim; Jun 17, 2019 at 05:40 PM.
Jun 18, 2019, 12:59 AM
Yes, I noticed the post and it looks very good. I am glad it incorporates a release. How much does the DG weigh? You are right about the tow hook although some are captive and do require a servo to release. Those are for step towing where you fly downwind after the first climb pulling out line for another climb. Never done that myself.

One problem with winch launching is to get a good launch, you have to generate a lot of tension so the glider climbs really fast and this causes great stress on the wing. You can acheive a gentle launch but you will probably only get half as high. We used to use 1000 ft of line and we would get about 600 feet. We sometimes got 800 ft in a good wind. I have only used about 600 feet of line at the St Annes field.

Aerotowing is probably the safest test flight mode for the DG.
Jun 18, 2019, 07:00 AM
Doug, thanks for your informational replies, we are appreciative. Picture me looking down at the ground and mumbling when I say that the DG came in at exactly 17lbs. I expected lighter, but could not think of where I could have shed more weight. I used a lot of Hysol on the formers, maybe that wasn't so necessary, but I'd read so many bad things about flyfly glue...........I am really looking forward to seeing the winch in use, I have never seen one, I will bring our bird of time also, maybe we could winch launch it?

I would also appreciate a competent glider pilot to help maiden the DG, as I can't fly both.......
Jun 18, 2019, 11:11 AM
I would say that both Payton and the DG are bigger than I had guessed. She is almost a teenager. 17 lbs is definitely beyond the capability of my winch. Greg Davis has a more powerful winch but winching or aerotow,you will need to be cautious. Both the tug pilot and the DG pilot may have to work to keep the climbrate gentle. This results in a much more scale like tow and I find it pleasing to watch.

Cautious on the winch has a lot to do with towhook position.
Jun 18, 2019, 04:34 PM
Let me fly in Green Air

Power winch and retrieval

I happen to have a winch and retrieval system in need of a new home that may fit your needs. I have launched Gentle Ladies to heavy scale sailplanes with it. Will be traveling up to Agassiz in July if interested.
Last edited by justhuman; Jun 18, 2019 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Jun 19, 2019, 07:43 AM
wow, that is a serious looking affair, ..............must need an RV battery or something big like that to run?
Jun 19, 2019, 08:05 AM
Let me fly in Green Air
No just a standard 12 volt auto battery with wingnut terminals.
Jun 30, 2019, 07:14 AM
Denny the "Finger"
Hello Gents, I am new to aerotow and a friend of mine allowed me to attempt towing his rig at the club picnic yesterday. I looked on youtube to get some info and really couldn't find much in the way of set up or tips on flight control. It went pretty well and I'm ready to try again, but its a bit unnerving to be attached to another set of wings. Here is the video. The Beaver seems a good choice for this job.

A Little Hard On The Beav (4 min 16 sec)

Quick Reply