Nov 28, 2018, 05:08 PM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
Yippee!

2019 Pacific Northwest Aerotow Schedule

It may be dead-of-winter right now, but the troops are bursting with excitement for the anticipated 2019 Aerotow season, which is bound to be a banner year, considering the pique of enthusiasm around these parts-- new tow pilots, new tugs, new sailplanes, and a promise of continued mild and inviting weather for soaring. Event hosts please PM me with your proposed or confirmed dates and venues, as usual.

The aerotow events shown here are for the Pacific Northwest, including Washington, Oregon, Northern CA, and British Columbia. As the calendar matures, revisions and additions will be inserted here on this Post #1.

Please feel free to add posts to this thread with additional information on an ongoing basis. This is the place to ask for details, such as directions and accommodations, from our veteran attenders. Remember, all dates are subject to change, so check back and review this thread often. See all you glider addicts at the segelflugschleppens throughout the 2019 season. --- Don Bailey, aerotow junkie

April 27th (Sat only) PASS Woodburn OR (Jim Gibson)
May 3-5th Othello WA Spring Opener, Weaver's Field (Wil Byers) CANCELLED
May 31-June 2 Yakima WA (Gene Cope) 20th Annual aerotow-- longest running event in PNW
June 21-23rd Vernon BC (Greg Davis)
June 30th (Sun only) PASS Woodburn OR (Jim Gibson)
July 20th (Sat only) PASS Woodburn OR (Jim Gibson)
July 26-28 Agassiz BC (Dave Smith)
Aug 9-11 Othello WA Hot Lift Aerotow, Weaver's Field (Wil Byers)
August 23-25 PASS Woodburn OR (Jim Gibson)
Sept 8th (Sun only) PASS Woodburn OR (Jim Gibson)
Sept 13-15th Kamloops BC (Dave Smith)
Last edited by dgliderguy; Mar 01, 2019 at 10:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2018, 09:39 AM
Goes to eleven!
Don,

Thank you for starting this thread!

Great to have a spot to organize our new Aerotowing season coming up!!!

I'm excited for sure!

Subscribed!

Joe
Nov 29, 2018, 04:32 PM
Don,

I too thank you for getting our dates published early this year. THANKS!

Also, I have a tenative date for an August event at Weaver's Airfield—August 9-11.

It is the Hot Lift Aerotow 2019.

I hope you'll add it and I'll confirm with Gary Weaver soon.

http://weaversairfield.com/hot-lift-aerotow.html

BTW, Gary is working on a DA-70-powered tug of his own.

I'm saving for gas money now. I'd like to make it to at least 6 tows this year—breaking from the past.
Dec 11, 2018, 12:01 AM
Will fly for food
Subscribed
Dec 14, 2018, 12:46 PM
Let me fly in Green Air

What's on your workbench for next year?

Looking forward to seeing some new sailplanes for the Pacific Northwest events next year. So fess up and show what's on your workbench for next flying season.
Last edited by justhuman; Dec 14, 2018 at 01:39 PM.
Dec 14, 2018, 04:20 PM

1/4 hp-18

Scratch HP 18 3.75 meters. Keeping structure scale: fiberglass pod with turtle deck cover. Boom will be carbon, glass and surfaces vacuum bagged.
Dec 20, 2018, 12:16 PM
Let me fly in Green Air

Yakima Aerotow 2019

Yes the 2019 Yakima Aerotow event has been held yearly at Disappointment Field now for just under two decades for those that donít recall the humble beginnings. The field name is not a misfortune, but the disappointment is that you do have to land sometime before the sun goes down.
That said, long flights are not uncommon so be sure to check your batteries.
Iím looking forward to seeing the PNW tug pilots again and Joeís Wilga, as I unfortunately missed the event at Agassiz B.C. this year. Iím also looking forward to seeing old friends that have participated over the years. Hopefully we will add new friends to the list this year.
Added to the lodging this year is a new Holiday Inn Express & Suites that just opened in October. For those interested it is located close to Costco and WinCo Foods, just South of Ahtanum Rd.
Gene
Dec 20, 2018, 10:23 PM
Hunting for bubbles of lift
Thanks for getting next years aerotowing schedule out so early. Can't wait to get started. Ck
Jan 09, 2019, 10:00 AM
Gene, What is that model you are building now?
Jan 09, 2019, 12:37 PM
Let me fly in Green Air
40% Ka-3
Feb 01, 2019, 01:11 PM

PASS 2019 Aerotow Dates

PASS has firmed up the calendar for the year and here are the aerotow dates:
  • Saturday, April 27
  • Sunday, June 30
  • Saturday, July 20
  • Friday - Sunday, August 23 - 25
  • Sunday, September 8

We will be flying at a new venue this year. In cooperation with the Dusters RC Club, Woodburn, OR, we have use of their field and facilities on the above mentioned dates. I'll post more details on the field and location as we get closer to the April date.

Here's the links to the Dusters RC Club web site:

https://canbydustersrc.com/
http://dustersrc.com/index.html

Jim
Last edited by Jim Gibson; Feb 01, 2019 at 01:22 PM.
Feb 26, 2019, 04:02 PM

Aerotow Updates

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Vernon Aerotow is no longer "Tentative", and also that Agassiz now has a MAAC sanction, so we're locked and loaded!

Dave Smith
Feb 27, 2019, 02:17 PM
Let me fly in Green Air

Dissapointment Field Update

There are a few changes to the event this year. At present the three runways are covered in approx 24" of snow, but the Saturday night dinner has been relocated to Xochimilco Tequila Bar & Restaurant instead of the Sea Galley. Located at the South West end of the Valley Mall and is still in easy walking distance from the local lodgings.
It may be familiar to those that have dined in the past at the one located in Glenwood Square. Same great food and family owned.
Tim Roy will be returning to fly the 1/4 scale Super Cub again this year, joined by Joe with his Wilga, the Canadians have rebuild the Pegasus along with Micheal Gore with his tugs. There may even be a few more by the event date.
Unfortunately the restricted area North of the road is still in effect but I have soaring hopes for some great lift for the event.
Looking forward to seeing the Aerotow group again this year. Don posted that its's the 20th, has it been that long and I might say, only by the support of the soaring pilots.
Thanks,

Gene
Mar 01, 2019, 09:47 PM
Deleted
Last edited by Wil Byers; Apr 13, 2019 at 08:52 PM.
Mar 04, 2019, 07:21 PM

Libelle 201

Deleted
Last edited by Wil Byers; Apr 13, 2019 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply