Nov 27, 2018, 09:06 PM
Cascade Mtns Sloper
Thread OP
Discussion

Final issue of RC Soaring Digest is out. Thanks Bill and Bunny Kuhlman

The final (December, 2018) issue of RC Soaring Digest is now available for download at https://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/

Great terminal issue. All sorts of stuff, including:
• A wild article on a couple early mechanical mixing methods for flaperon and spoilerons, with the usual great photos and diagrams.
• Daryl Pekins' Vixen: F3J-F3B. 144"!
• Ren DiLeo's 1/3 Scale Schweizer 1-26, build and fly pictorial.
• The latest UpberCraft Raven, a 60" plank with a rubber nose and a glass fin, at Torey Pines. Hot!
• We've all held a ruler against an aileron to try to measure control surface deflections. 'Glider throw' measures deflections with electronic precision! One of several notes on interesting product releases.
• A fine article on what it takes to mold an airplane, with tech analysis of the importance of precision.
• An article by Bill on his build project, the 18" MicroBlackbird indoor flying wing.
• How to build A Simple Voltage Regulator so you can drive 4.8 volt servos with a 2S Lipo.
• A few humorous poems and slope pictorial by me, "Table Mountain After The Burn."
• A fare-thee-well, "Time to build another sailplane!" editorial by B^2.

Again, what a huge and selfless service to the RC Sailplane community, by Bill and Bunny.

Bravo!

~Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip R. P.
In this November's R/C Soaring Digest my good friends Bill and Bunny Kuhlman quietly announced December would be their last issue.

Since taking over as Managing Editors and Publishers of RCSD in July of 2004 for the August issue, Bill and Bunny (bsquared, or B^2Streamlines) have made a huge contribution to our sport.

RCSD was created in 1984 by Jim Gray, as 12 photocopied pages, mailed. Early on Judy and Jerry Slates shifted it to professionally printing. In March 2004 they switched formats to an online journal and digital distribution, which allowed the full-color photo essays we have become accustomed to.

Hundreds of writers and photographers have contributed articles ranging from details of sailplane builds, contest and trip reports, technical analyses, product reports, and aerodynamics articles. They've ranged from amateur writers to prominent aerodynamicists, and from humor to calculus.

For Bill and Bunny, RCSD has been a labor of love. No ads. No income. Just dedication and service.

Labor of love? Labor. It has taken a lot of work. A whole lot of work. Exhausting work. Which explains how it comes time to move on, and let go.

B^2Streamlines also published a number of serious aerodynamics books and articles. Along with RCSD archives they will continue to be available at https://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/

Bill and Bunny write they had hoped to find an individual or group willing to take over as Editor and/or Publisher. No such luck. Bother.

I'm just one of many who have enjoyed the phenomenal communications outlet Bill and Bunny have provided for so many years. Bill always told me I used too many commas. Here are a few I've been saving up for him: , , , , , , , , , , , , Heh.

My deepest thanks and appreciations. It’s been a heck of a run.

~Philip Randolph
Last edited by Philip R. P.; Nov 27, 2018 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Didn't do the quote right. And wanted the title in bold. Thx.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2018, 11:43 PM
ama 1390
Thank you bill and bunny for the selfless contribution you have provided the hobby.
Nov 28, 2018, 09:21 AM
Ditto to pval3's sentiments!
Nov 28, 2018, 10:15 AM
ama 1390
Ladies and gents,
Is there a plan to preserve the voluminous archive that Bill and Bunny created?
Anyone interested in creating a go fund me or patrinous account to fund the online archive?
I wonder if they contacted the ama and or RCGroups to inquire about server space to preserve their legacy?
Don’t want to repeat any effort already in place but if that is something that needs to be done can I help?
Phil
Last edited by pval3; Nov 28, 2018 at 08:11 PM.
Nov 29, 2018, 03:12 PM
e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
I'm particularly interested in preserving the March 2018 issue, which included An Innovative Method for Acoustically Rendering Climb Data for Model Gliders Using Shepard Tones, by Helmut Stettmaier. It was the inspiration for my Shepard Tone Vario setup for OpenTX.
Nov 29, 2018, 05:32 PM
I believe it was stated that the archives would be available for the foreseeable future .

Quick Reply