Jan 02, 2005, 07:05 AM
Thread OP

Li-poly Battery Saver or Battery saver Question

Any one have tried any Li-poly Battery Saver?
how dose it works?
Is this complicated to use?

Any good reliable inexpensive battery Saver that you can recomend
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2005, 09:01 AM
Southern Pride
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuspeed88
Any one have tried any Li-poly Battery Saver?
how dose it works?
Is this complicated to use?

Any good reliable inexpensive battery Saver that you can recomend
http://www.flydma.com/flydmahome.asp
There are several different ones on the market.The one I like the best of the ones which I have tried is the Li-Saver. See my post here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291387
FMA also has one but it has only Hard Cutoff which I do not like and its LVC is to low for Lipos or at least is below most Lipo manufactures recomendations.
There are also some arond with Leds and beepers ,OK I guess if you can see or here them in time.

Charles
Jan 03, 2005, 03:30 AM
Thread OP
thanks
Jan 03, 2005, 03:41 AM
Another vote for li-saver
http://www.flydma.com/flydmahome.asp
It solved a problem I was having, and not at all complicated to use.
Bill
Jan 03, 2005, 12:57 PM
characters welcome!
The DMA Li-Saver is extremely easy to hook up and use. Solder the two battery leads along with the ESC leads to your battery connector then the two receiver leads go between the ESC and the receiver. Done!
They're immensely reliable too. Steve told me that he's sold close to a thousand of these little contraptions and only ONE has come back with an actual problem. I still run one of the prototypes in a MM DuskStik and it works every time regardless of whether I use 2s or 3s. Neat!

mw
Jan 05, 2005, 11:59 PM
If you have an esc that has reliable LVC for Lipoly, say 9-volt cutoff for a 3s Lipo pack, would you need to use a Li-Saver too? Or is this device intended for esc's that do not have lipo LVC setting options?
Jan 06, 2005, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
(1) If you have an esc that has reliable LVC for Lipoly, say 9-volt cutoff for a 3s Lipo pack, would you need to use a Li-Saver too? (2) Or is this device intended for esc's that do not have lipo LVC setting options?
(1) No
(2) Yes

Also, I found the Li-Saver solved a problem which is perhaps unique to me. I am using some Jeti ESCs which set the LVC based on an auto detect cell count on start up. I fly several short flights on a single charge without BEC. Between flights, for safety reasons, I want to shut down the system. When I repower, the ESC does a new auto detect and may detect a lower cell count based on the lower battery voltage. Of course, that results in a new lower LVC.

In addition, the Jeti uses an LVC well below 3 volts per cell. No more Jeti low LVC and auto detect for me - Castle creations for future systems.

Bill
Last edited by ebill3; Jan 06, 2005 at 03:29 AM.
Jan 06, 2005, 03:30 AM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
It's best to top off batteries as the Li-poly saver and some ESC's detect initial voltage to set the lvc accordingly. If you use CC ESC's where you set the lvc then it's no prob to fly without topping off.
Jan 06, 2005, 03:44 AM
Between flights, I disconnect the battery from the ESC, but leave the battery connection to the Li-Saver intact. Therefore, the Li-Saver knows only the starting cell count.

Bill
Jan 06, 2005, 09:37 AM
Southern Pride
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3
Between flights, I disconnect the battery from the ESC, but leave the battery connection to the Li-Saver intact. Therefore, the Li-Saver knows only the starting cell count.

Bill
Good point and that is a very good and safe way to handle multi flights on a single charge. On the other hand I have used both the Li-Saver and CC Phoenix ESC with auto cell count detect Beta V.1.081 software by way of Phx Link and with both 2 and 3 cell Li Pos and have never had the wrong number of cells detected even when packs is disconnect and reconnected after being flow for approximately have of its capacity. A fully charge 2 cell pack is 8.4 volts , a 3 cell pack with half of its capacity remaining will be above 11.1 volts as soon as the load is removed from it.
The major problems with auto cell detect happens with higher number of cell where the discharged and charged voltages of packs can overlap.

Added:
The CC ESC has a nice safety feature in that it chirps the motor with the number of cells detected.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 06, 2005 at 09:55 AM.
Jan 06, 2005, 11:20 AM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
I had thought about putting a connector on the li-saver but more so to use it in multiple planes rather than keep the voltage reading. Clever to put it on the battery lead than the esc.
Jan 06, 2005, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
The major problems with auto cell detect happens with higher number of cell where the discharged and charged voltages of packs can overlap.

Added:
The CC ESC has a nice safety feature in that it chirps the motor with the number of cells detected.

Charles
Agree - I'm using 5 cells on those airplanes. Also, Jeti uses an LVC of 2.56 volts per cell, which is too low for me. The Li-Saver kicks in right about 3 volts. The castle chirps is neat. For that and other reasons is where I'll go in the future.

Bill

Quick Reply