Nov 30, 2018, 10:24 AM
treefinder
Tony, I saw your rotary engine in place in post #13 (just glanced at it, I don't typically "open" the thumbnails) and thought you had attached it to the motor can, so it would realistically rotate. After the recent comments on radial vs rotary, I went back and looked more closely, but I still can't tell. Does the "engine " rotate? I could see the need for a low Kv motor if so, but it would be way cool!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2018, 10:26 AM
treefinder
Re: gear pics, adding the two crossover braces right under the fuse should help stabilize.
Nov 30, 2018, 10:28 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Mike, no mate the dummy motor/s are fixed .. I am pretty sure the original ones, the cylinders you see and are fixed

Lockey
Nov 30, 2018, 12:36 PM
treefinder
IF it is a rotary, then they rotate with the prop! Take a good look at the video that was posted of the plane a few posts back. You can see that the motor is a blur as it rotates. It's pretty amazing that they were successful, but showed up on a lot of WW1 planes. I recall reading about the sopwith camel and how it would turn just about in it's own length one way and hardly even turn the other because of the motor gyroscopic action. IF you glue the motor to the can, it will be awesomely realistic! ( of course at the rpm the motor spins, it may through them off, too. ...)
Nov 30, 2018, 05:33 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Something like this??.....

YouTube
1917 Gnome Rotary Engine Demo - Owls Head Transportation Museum 07/07/13 (5 min 45 sec)
Nov 30, 2018, 06:01 PM
Well I never ... you wouldn't have wanted to be in a hurry to start the darn things though eh .. thanks for finding the clip Duke

Lockey
Nov 30, 2018, 06:08 PM
treefinder
Yup, Just like that! Wild enough to have the prop spinning around but the whole motor too, crazy!

So what do ya think, Tony? Gonna make yours a true rotary?
Nov 30, 2018, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Yup, Just like that! Wild enough to have the prop spinning around but the whole motor too, crazy!

So what do ya think, Tony? Gonna make yours a true rotary?
I think its probably too flimsy Mike, it would probably throw it int a million pieces .. or at least onto a few LOL .. I made it very light so it wouldn't make much of a difference to the overall weight of the model .. I think I am going to have problems getting it to balance anyway .. it is balancing now without battery etc .. and I would have thought with such a long tail it would have been the other way around

Lockey
Nov 30, 2018, 06:35 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Yep balance is everything with these short nosed flyers
Nov 30, 2018, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Yep balance is everything with these short nosed flyers
Too true Duke .. BUT .. this is the opposite, its usually really tail heavy and often need to lengthen the nose a bit .. I think this is partly due to the fact that HK foam is almost half the weight of Depron

Plus I think I am going to have the same problem as I do with a few of the models I do .. the joint on the fuselage is a very weak spot (remember the Comoz and the Mossie) .. especially with the HK foam, I might have to glass this or something to strengthen the joint .. this will add some weight to the back YEA Maybe I will have to rethink this method of building ???

Whilst the HK foam is cheap and easy to roll, I still don't like it much, its too bloody soft .. OK for the roll over wings, easy to work with, I still think Depron is better for flat surfaces such as formers, tail fin, horizontal stab and the like

Lockey
Nov 30, 2018, 07:10 PM
Retired CAD guy
i STILL HAVE NEARLY a whole box of HK foam that I've no intention of even using.

Maybe a Grand Kid project will present itself... some day.
Nov 30, 2018, 07:31 PM
Please, I wasn't trying to criticize your model! Trying to make a dummy scale rotary engine work would be insane. Full-scale rotaries ran at under 3,000 rpm; outrunners turn a lot faster, but at their speeds, a model rotary would likely fly apart (as what happened to full-scale rotaries by the end of WWI).

I was just curious, as the cowling looked like one for a LeRhone. We live within a few hours' drive of Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome (Rhinebeck, NY), and have been there (literally) dozens of times. We're familiar with the sound (and delightful smell) of rotaries & radials.

CD
Dec 01, 2018, 04:12 AM
Not a problem CD, I never thought you were .. all good mate

Its ready for maiden, if the weather is OK I will maiden tomorrow

Weight without battery 810 grams .. with 1500/3s battery 945 grams .. so with a bit of finishing it should come in around 1kg .. wasn't far out with my initial estimated weight

I used some fiberglass cloth to strengthen the fuselage joint .. it would actually be good to cover the whole model with this .. especially as its made from HK foam which is quite soft .. trouble is the damn FG cloth is such a $h!t to work with, it shreds like crazy.

Using this motor .. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us .. with a 11 x 6 prop, and a 40A ESC

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 01, 2018 at 04:20 AM.
Dec 01, 2018, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
i STILL HAVE NEARLY a whole box of HK foam that I've no intention of even using.

Maybe a Grand Kid project will present itself... some day.
Bob, its great for wrap over wings, especially if you were to cover with fiberglass cloth, I will probably cover this with either covering film and/or coloured packaging tape, this adds strength and durability

Maybe yellow and silver

Lockey
Dec 01, 2018, 09:10 AM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
I think its probably too flimsy Mike, it would probably throw it int a million pieces .. or at least onto a few LOL .. I made it very light so it wouldn't make much of a difference to the overall weight of the model .. I think I am going to have problems getting it to balance anyway .. it is balancing now without battery etc .. and I would have thought with such a long tail it would have been the other way around

Lockey
I understand your concern, and expect that you would have to "undo" quite a lot of stuff to even try it before the maiden, yet. But the motor can is the perfect center hub and it already rotates. If I ever get around to doing a WW1 plane I think I will try it just for grins. As you and others mentioned, rpm may tear it apart, but thinking low Kv motor and big slowfly prop might keep rpms down and still fly at appropriate speed. An interesting challenge. I thought about 3d printed motor, but expect balance would be a bear, super light foam seems better.

Quick Reply