Nov 27, 2018, 01:06 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Build Log

Blackburn Monoplane

Here's one I have had on and off the drawing board for a couple of years .. so I thought it was about time I got serious and take it to the build stage

I am just finishing off the plans and should be ready to start building soon

I cant find this on anywhere on the forum, so can only assume it hasn't been done before

This one has 1360mm wing span and about 1100mm long, I am expecting it to come in under 1kg (hopefully around 850 - 900 grams with battery)

I have designed this it be made from Hobby King foam 5mm not 6mm Depron (or maybe foamboard with the paper removed)

Wings are wrap-over type and are under-cambered (not tried this before)

As always, your comments are welcome ... this one will definitely suit the oldies (like me)

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Nov 27, 2018 at 01:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2018, 01:33 AM
Going back to balsa
I will be watching this super cool project!

Here is fun video on the subject:

Blackburn Monoplane (Britains oldest airworthy aeroplane) (3 min 56 sec)
Nov 27, 2018, 04:21 AM
Quote:
S.Davy;I will be watching this super cool project!

Here is fun video on the subject:
Fantastic, love the old planes

getting there with the plans .. looks like it will take 3 sheets of HK foam .. so expensive at AU $4 a sheet landed

Lockey
Nov 27, 2018, 07:34 AM
I have all my G-codes ready to start cutting, I am going to use HK foam for the whole build .. very cheap

Lockey
Nov 27, 2018, 07:44 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Wow cool. And the pilot will have a scarf! Lol...
Nov 27, 2018, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Wow cool. And the pilot will have a scarf! Lol...
But of course Duke

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Nov 27, 2018 at 06:48 PM.
Nov 27, 2018, 11:05 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Just watched the video above.. Man what a flimsy looking thing it is .. lol.. Looks like it would snap in half any second! Dam good pilot hey! Greased that landing
Nov 27, 2018, 12:00 PM
treefinder
Lots of wires! You gonna try to include them all?
Nov 27, 2018, 12:34 PM
Jim
Going to be a beautiful build Lockey! I love the look of these. I envy you and others here that can bring these planes to us in foam! I hope to see a Moth, a Jenny, and maybe a Pup before I'm too old to build! There hasn't been a Tiggy since GWS left! I hope to see a DH Beaver too. I never had the GWS Beaver. Wish I had bought a hundred of them now lol.
Nov 27, 2018, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Lots of wires! You gonna try to include them all?
Pass on the wires Mike

I have done a couple of oldies Jim .. Tiggy and a Fokker .. oh yes and lets not forget the Mossie

Tiggy had the wires and even had a pull pull rudder and elevator .. and a pilot Fokker also had wires but took them off, they were a pain in the ar$e

Still have the Mossie but I sold the other 2 when I moved house, had to get shut of some and these were the first to go all fly well

Lots more here ... www.lockeysrcplans.com/shop

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Nov 27, 2018 at 06:54 PM.
Nov 28, 2018, 11:47 AM
OK, started the build, here is a start on one side of the wings, because I am ysing Hobby King foam, there was no need to tape the foam befor rolling (on the under-camber and top .. BUT .. I DID tape the leading edge before rolling and used a fork to score before rolling (3 prongs)

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Nov 28, 2018 at 06:01 PM.
Nov 29, 2018, 06:36 AM
When cows fly!
Looking good! Love the radial

Quick Reply