Nov 26, 2018, 03:44 AM
Rev Otis Elevator
Thread OP
Build Log

Takahe 110 RES

Greetings from sunny New Zealand.
This is my first build log. After 15 years of Sailplane flying a friend introduced me to RC gliders last year, i was quickly hooked and after learning to fly a few foamies decided i would like to have a go at a larger balsa build.
The Olympic 2 from Sky Bench caught my eye but after emailing Peter @Hanger One here in NZ i purchased their Takahe kit.
A similar sailplane in most respects. My building skills in RC are limited to say the least having not handled balsa for 30years but the information available through these forums and a couple of friends i can call upon if things get too much gives me confidence to start building.
A special mention to Steve, aka jimmy arcane, who has a Takahe build log on the Balsa Builders forum. This was really the only reference i could find to the Takahe so i have spent many hours looking at this and other build logs to get me started.
As there were so few references available i have submitted this build log to hopefully add to the pool of knowledge for this lovley looking Glider.

Cheers Phil
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2018, 03:43 AM
Rev Otis Elevator
Thread OP

More building stuff

The rest of the build is pretty straight forward and if i had somthing i wanted to check i went to jimmy-arcanes Tahake build log in the balsa builders forum to double check what i was doing.
Many years ago when i first got into Yank and Bank rc glow sports planes my building was rough as i just wanted to get it flying as quickly as i could. (Usually followed by crash and repair, repeat etc) . I even tried the teach yourself to fly route. Man that was an expensive road to nowhere!
Anyhoo, the point is i have pretty limited building skills but with the help of the interweb and an extra 30 years under my belt in pretty happy with the way the Takahe is comming along.
One thing i have done differently from the other build log is the amount of sanding. There is a surprisingly limited amount of information about this dark art.
Maybe its somthing so simple everyone else knows how to do it but me!🤪 The other Takahe build had minumum sanding done to it but i went the other way and spent a lot of time sanding the wings trying to get an accurate profile. Maybe too much sanding. I guess i will find out on the maiden. Top tip, i got a small balsa plane ( not the flying type) from the LHS. Money well spent👍
Nov 29, 2018, 07:48 AM
USA, SC, Lexington
Coming along nicely Phil and looking good.
Nov 30, 2018, 10:08 PM
Still circling in sink...
Looks like a nice kit and a very fast build.
Dec 05, 2018, 02:33 AM
Rev Otis Elevator
Thread OP
The rest of the covering and final assembly of fin and horizontal stabelizer.
Lovley jubbley 👍 Its starting to come together.😁
Ive just spent an hour putting captions to all the attached pics but they have all dissapeared in the preview.
Bugger!
Dec 05, 2018, 02:35 AM
Rev Otis Elevator
Thread OP
Ok, the captions all came out ok in the post.
I have no idea what im doing.
Dec 11, 2018, 04:25 AM
Rev Otis Elevator
Thread OP

Progress and problems

After a rough CoG check it is apparant she is tail heavy to the tune of about 200 grams. Some re jigging of components required to minumize any ballast requirements.
It is nice not to have to worry about saving weight up front. I considered extending the nose a couple of inches but decided to make the best of what ive got and hope to be able to remove any ballast as i get her dialed in during the test flights.
I am going to glass the hatch and nose cowel.
Dec 17, 2018, 03:49 AM
Rev Otis Elevator
Thread OP

Getting there.

Final fitting of hardware done. CoG and weighing done. Had to add 92 gramms to get a CoG of 80mm. The mid point of the recommended range on the plan. Still got to finish the motor cowel so that will get some lead out too.
Fitted vario and checked the operation of control surfaces. Kept getting an uncommanded deployment of the spoilers. Will play with the programing tonight and get rid of that glitch. Im glad i caught that on the bench and not at a distance while down wind where my landing choices could have been the river, the trees or the vinyard. None of them good!
Motor check was 477w @ 48 amp, WOT. So im stuck with the 60 a ESC.
Dec 22, 2018, 01:53 AM
Rev Otis Elevator
Thread OP

Windy maiden.

Finished the cowel. 3 layers of light glass over balsa/ply. 22 g, it gets a bit of lead out.
Attached with a couple of dabs of hot glue and covering film overlapped by an inch or so. Seems sturdy enough and easy to get off should the need arise.
Out to the field by 11 am. Winds a bit strong for a maiden flight, especially with a new tx.
Rigged and launched into 8-10kt westerly. She flew ,but it was too turbulent for any meaningful trimming.
What did impress was the decent angle at full brakes into the headwimd. 50 deg +.
Took a couple of turns around the field and pulled the pin while the going was good. Not a good day to push my luck.
Tonight i will put the brakes on the throttle stick and throttle on a 3 position switch and hope for calmer winds tomorrow.
Dec 24, 2018, 01:59 AM
Rev Otis Elevator
Thread OP

Little tidy up jobs

😳The SE winds have been blowing for the last couple of days pushing cold moist air onto New Zealand. The ideal time to spend in the garage doing those tidy up jobs to finish the glider off.
Dec 24, 2018, 02:59 AM
Quite a build to learn on and it has come out really well.
Next time perhaps use tape hinges. Simpler, more effecient and easier to maintain/repair.
A wrap of white tape around the middle when you plug the wings together and no-one will know.

Covering is always a pain to get right. I used to practice with the offcuts and left overs on scrap frames. Holding pieces still as you pull and stretch is often the most difficult.

Good luck on the maiden.

Quick Reply