This thread is privately moderated by SoloProFan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 24, 2018, 03:02 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thread OP
Discussion

For the love of the hobby!

Hobbies are expensive, and the RC hobby is no exception. And thus, a place like this, where RC-loving people gather, will also attract people with different motivations, like those trying to gain something for nothing. Sometimes it seems like their activities start to overshadow the real spirit of RC. When subforums are being overrun by people spamming "deal-topics", sometimes even creating extra accounts on RC Groups, to maximize their chances on financial gain.

But that's not what RC is about, and it never will be. Imho RC is about a kid saving money with chores, being a paper-boy (or girl), so he or she can buy that kit, or that motor, or something else that is needed to complete the car, boat, plane, or whatever they are trying to get working. Or that sparkle you see in the same kid's eye when running his/her new(ly completed) model. Or as I've personally had the honor to teach a befriended collegue to fly FPV quads, and make such progress that at some point he's no longer a student, but someone having the time of his life, as he mastered the controls enough to be flying solo. That, imho, is the true spirit of RC.

Sometimes we may forget this spirit, and don't take time to sit back, and realize what a privilige it is to have access to all this exciting technology that enables us to enjoy this hobby in ways that weren't possible years ago. It's not about gathering free samples, clicks, how many subscribers, who's the best driver, pilot, etc, or affiliate links,and more of that. It's about the joy and excitement this hobby can provide, and being able to spread, and share this feeling with "kindred spirits" who know the value of keeping this in mind.

And in case one of us threatens to forget about this, others will hopefully step in to remind this person about what really matters. Maybe this blog entry can help a little with that.

Last edited by SoloProFan; Nov 25, 2018 at 01:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2018, 03:48 AM
WOW i could not aggree more.............when i came here on RCgroups i read posts, a ghost in the shadows!!!!......... then life changed for me because of my disability so i thought i would take another step and looking at these amazing people on here (CAN I REVIEW A PODUCT)...................i did and can but not for money or free stuff but because this is what i love to do.

My wife says sell all these quads i say no because they are here to remember me the hard work and information i gave out to others wether it was good or bad and everyday we are all learning helping each other out.

My life is harder than you could ever imagine but i fight to do the thing i love the most but my family come first!

Great post my friend.
Nov 25, 2018, 04:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch
WOW i could not aggree more.............when i came here on RCgroups i read posts, a ghost in the shadows!!!!......... then life changed for me because of my disability so i thought i would take another step and looking at these amazing people on here (CAN I REVIEW A PODUCT)...................i did and can but not for money or free stuff but because this is what i love to do.

My wife says sell all these quads i say no because they are here to remember me the hard work and information i gave out to others wether it was good or bad and everyday we are all learning helping each other out.

My life is harder than you could ever imagine but i fight to do the thing i love the most but my family come first!

Great post my friend.

Thanks for the comments and sharing some personal info. I think you understand what the spirit of RC is, and often a wife or husband (we do have women doing RC, though not as much as possible maybe) doesn't realize what we see in these "expensive toys".

But it's all in the mind, the feeling of being in control, in case of FPV flight, being up there with the birds, experiencing something without being able to get up there phyisically, or where your RC boat, plane etc is moving. For a true fan, nothing compares to this feeling. It's this hint of freedom, the challenges and feeling of achievement, that makes RC so addicting, I think.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 26, 2018, 05:24 AM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
A toast to you sir.

For the love of the hobby.
Nov 26, 2018, 08:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
A toast to you sir.

For the love of the hobby.

Bottoms up!

But remember, don't drink and fly, drive, etc, unless it's 0% alcohol.
Nov 27, 2018, 09:30 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Bottoms up!

But remember, don't drink and fly, drive, etc, unless it's 0% alcohol.
I know.

My state of NJ here in the US made drinking and droning illegal this year.
Nov 29, 2018, 07:39 PM
R/C Superfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Hobbies are expensive, and the RC hobby is no exception. And thus, a place like this, where RC-loving people gather, will also attract people with different motivations, like those trying to gain something for nothing. Sometimes it seems like their activities start to overshadow the real spirit of RC. When subforums are being overrun by people spamming "deal-topics", sometimes even creating extra accounts on RC Groups, to maximize their chances on financial gain.

But that's not what RC is about, and it never will be. Imho RC is about a kid saving money with chores, being a paper-boy (or girl), so he or she can buy that kit, or that motor, or something else that is needed to complete the car, boat, plane, or whatever they are trying to get working. Or that sparkle you see in the same kid's eye when running his/her new(ly completed) model. Or as I've personally had the honor to teach a befriended collegue to fly FPV quads, and make such progress that at some point he's no longer a student, but someone having the time of his life, as he mastered the controls enough to be flying solo. That, imho, is the true spirit of RC.

Sometimes we may forget this spirit, and don't take time to sit back, and realize what a privilige it is to have access to all this exciting technology that enables us to enjoy this hobby in ways that weren't possible years ago. It's not about gathering free samples, clicks, how many subscribers, who's the best driver, pilot, etc, or affiliate links,and more of that. It's about the joy and excitement this hobby can provide, and being able to spread, and share this feeling with "kindred spirits" who know the value of keeping this in mind.

And in case one of us threatens to forget about this, others will hopefully step in to remind this person about what really matters. Maybe this blog entry can help a little with that.

110% agree,I'm here for the love of the hobby 😎 well said Solo!
Dec 07, 2018, 10:49 AM
The only thing that ever felt as good as my first build and first solo flight and safe landing was teaching someone else to fly and seeing their faces when they nail their first landing on a RC plane.
Not sure which felt better to be honest.
This was of course line of sight.
In all the years I've spent building and flying image only ever sold off one plane lol, I've given some away but mostly I keep them because they remind me of the fun I had building and flying them.
My wife is ALWAYS asking why I don't just sell them...
The only reason I would sell them is if I knew the person and they really wanted something I had built and appreciated it.
It's funny hobby that's for certain but I love it.

It's getting hard for me to build like I used to now though and it's not the same flying arf stuff which is already built mostly or quads which basically are all the same...
I do love flying fpv though , a lot more than thought I would before I first tried it a couple of years back, of course I built my own and still do ...

It's easy to get caught up the whole affiliate and free stuff scene though but I think it's is taking away the spirit of the hobby like you say.

I encourage people to build something rather than just buying the latest and greatest, the building is a lot of fun and the best way to learn.
Latest blog entry: Eachine twig 115
Dec 15, 2018, 08:54 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Hey solo, I'm just wondering, with the way things have been, are you going to keep your subscription to RCG? I've been subbed for 2 years but I decided to let it lapse this time. I miss having a cleaner looking board and all that PM space, so I may end up subscribing back. With how things have been going though I felt like, at least renewing my sub again at the same time would just be telling them "yep, everything is ok" when it really isn't.
Dec 23, 2018, 03:09 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the comments and some other views on the hobby. I can relate to keeping older flyers for the memories gathered when flying these. I still have my first brushless hobby grade quad, the EC250, which by today's standards would be vastly outdated. ESC don't even support OneShot, if I remember well, fairly tame motors, CC3D still in it's plastic protective casing, and a full size receiver, wired in PWM.

Not built to be the lightest high performance quad. But it played a big part in losing fear of 3S brushless "monsters" and moving on.

@John: I need the Plus membership, or I would be constantly deleting messages to keep enough space. But I did also start a few topics in the Complaints/Site Suggestions subforum, to make it known that since the server migration, RCG isn't up to it's usual self. And also made a point about the excessive amount of spamming links, inside and outside vendor sections.
May 06, 2019, 01:05 PM
kiwi power!
Been through a lot of good times my friend, to the love of the hobby!

Quick Reply