Dec 31, 2004, 10:51 PM
Thread OP

PA 2005 new release - KATANA MINI electric ARF

Hi guys
HAPPY NEW YEAR !
Thanks for the warm words on the PA Katana mini. We have been working on this project for the last 15 month but somebody got there before us – although the plane is not similar, totally different construction, materials, dimensions. It is totally different plane.
We designed the plane with no saving on selected materials, hardware and accessories in order to bring up into the R/C market with one of the finest models available today.
We are into quality more than anything else with no compromising.

Here some info about the Katana mini:
Mufflers are faked of course – made of carbon fiber just because it looks bloody awesome it has no weight and it looks great so why not?
The servos on the PA Katana mini are mounted on the top just because we like to see carbon it can be mounted on the bottom as well.. if we get many request for bottom mounting we will change the design to match the bottom only. This is not an issue for us.

This model looks so good that when you look close enough you feel like in front of a 40% plane (or close to that ). It has a pretty big diameter carbon fiber wing tube that fits inside a bigger diameter carbon fiber a long wing socket that provides outstanding strength in construction. Leading edge and fuselage strings are made of carbon fiber. It includes also carbon fiber landing gear that is done with a high temperature mould to make it strongest and lightest as possible. This also keeps the carbon awesome texture (makes it significantly more expensive to produce). Wheel axles are made of carbon and we provide the plane with the coolest CNC machined carbon fiber control horns that are very easy to install and looks fantastic.
Another thing you provide is carbon fiber pushrods that are very strong and there is no flexibility what so ever. The canopy by the way is not like the prototype – it is going to be tinted (like our larger models as the Edge 540T and Extra 42%). It was hard to get the lightest material for the canopy so the proto had a clear one but now we are working on the new canopy.
Wheel pants and cowl are made of pre-painted fibreglass. We used for covering a new great looking lightweight covering.
Since we design big planes so you can say we treat this “baby” like it was one of our giant models. We love this project.

We are now testing the model with different set ups every day. We will offer a 400S brushless motor which is a real “power house” of 290 watts max outputs. We are changing the gearboxes to find the chosen one. We are still working on a new carbon gearbox which will be available in the future. Another future project is carbon fiber 3D prop.
Of course we also spent many hours of research after a good lithium setup and we have our own OEM high discharge packs to offer. We will offer the plane as combo as well, that is why we haven’t advertised the prices yet, as we are working on this matter. Needless to say that we will have tempting introductory price.
We are working on and testing all the specs now so there might be changes (remember it is a prototype). More information, flight review and movie will be available on our webpage.

Availability of the model is not final especially because of our quality control procedure but production will start in 3-4 weeks.

Shaun
Precision Aerobatics Team
Last edited by Precision Aerob; Jan 01, 2005 at 04:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2005, 02:51 PM
E-Flight Addict
Looks awesome !! I can't wait to see some in the USA !!

Rick
Jan 03, 2005, 03:09 PM
Do you have any ideas as to how much it is going to cost and are there going to be any dealers for it in the U.S.A.?
Jan 03, 2005, 03:30 PM

I want one

Please tell me how to get one or at least get in line for one. I can't wait got to have one. I would also be interested in becoming a dealer for you in the USA.
Last edited by Luv2fly2; Jan 03, 2005 at 03:40 PM.
Jan 04, 2005, 01:12 AM
Leave me alone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue ice
Do you have any ideas as to how much it is going to cost and are there going to be any dealers for it in the U.S.A.?
Same questions.... do tell

Martin
Jan 04, 2005, 02:44 AM
Luv 2 Fly
subscribe...
Jan 04, 2005, 03:03 AM
Okay you guys can order and get more information here...http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...spx?prodID=568

Weight without battery is saying 13 ounces, 40.5" wingspan and 39" length. Should fly awesome.

I have seen there profile plane and it came right in at the exact manufacturer weight of 4lbs, it was truely the lightest profile I have ever seen.
Jan 04, 2005, 11:50 AM
Texas Ranger
Now it's saying *empty* weight 13 oz. I'd be interested to know what the definition of empty is. Servos, Rx, ESC, gearbox, motor, prop, spinner? All or some of the above?

Not being cynical or anything but I just love the picture of the guy holding it in a hover hehehehe. Also enjoyed the no less than 12 occurences of the word "carbon" in the description. As always, the proof will be when there's a fully built and flying plane with complete specs on what's inside it and a flying video. Still, looks pretty cool. It *should* fly well. I wonder if it will also have the same prop clearance issues as the MF?
Last edited by Neil Walker; Jan 04, 2005 at 02:39 PM.
Jan 05, 2005, 01:31 AM
Thread OP

PA Katana mini

Hi guys
Good to see your enthusiasm for our new PA Katana mini. If you think its awesome you should see it in your own eyes to know how much
We are going to post some videos soon. We had some bad weather (very windy) but we are trying to push as many test flights as we can with different setups and accessories.
Empty weight means no radio gear and motor. Airframe only (with landing gear and fibreglass parts of course but no gear).
In our proto we used heavy extension leads (not the optimum) light weight thin extension leads will save more weight. We had to modify the current gearbox with machined aluminium add ons and that too add some weight which won’t be in the supplied aircrafts.
Test flights been done with a 400S brushless and 3.8:1 inline metal gear (which is also heavier and in this plane offset gearbox will be more appropriate with less weight (and the plane had enough power to hover and to do most of the manoeuvres). We replaced the gearbox (with the same motor and ESC) to 4.1:1 quality gearbox and the plane hover less than ¾ throttle!! So it provides an outstanding torque difference. With 17amp max drawn from the pack.
By the way, the prop we are using is 12x6 APC and there is no problem with the clearance
The carbon fiber landing gear are pretty high.
Here some photos (not best quality as they are taken from the video)
We are taking orders from dealers now so you would have few places to get them within US and around the world.
To get into the waiting list simply email us.

Cheers,
Shaun
Jan 05, 2005, 05:32 AM
Looks awesome !
Jan 05, 2005, 07:02 AM
Shaun,

Does the plane come pre-covered? Or is that part of the assembly process?

Thanks,

Jack
Jan 05, 2005, 09:43 AM
Nice plane!

JL
Jan 05, 2005, 10:43 AM

Taking orders from dealers now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Aerob
Hi guys
Good to see your enthusiasm for our new PA Katana mini. If you think its awesome you should see it in your own eyes to know how much
We are going to post some videos soon. We had some bad weather (very windy) but we are trying to push as many test flights as we can with different setups and accessories.
Empty weight means no radio gear and motor. Airframe only (with landing gear and fibreglass parts of course but no gear).
In our proto we used heavy extension leads (not the optimum) light weight thin extension leads will save more weight. We had to modify the current gearbox with machined aluminium add ons and that too add some weight which won’t be in the supplied aircrafts.
Test flights been done with a 400S brushless and 3.8:1 inline metal gear (which is also heavier and in this plane offset gearbox will be more appropriate with less weight (and the plane had enough power to hover and to do most of the manoeuvres). We replaced the gearbox (with the same motor and ESC) to 4.1:1 quality gearbox and the plane hover less than ¾ throttle!! So it provides an outstanding torque difference. With 17amp max drawn from the pack.
By the way, the prop we are using is 12x6 APC and there is no problem with the clearance
The carbon fiber landing gear are pretty high.
Here some photos (not best quality as they are taken from the video)
We are taking orders from dealers now so you would have few places to get them within US and around the world.
To get into the waiting list simply email us.

Cheers,
Shaun

Shaun,

What dealers so we can call them and get on there list?
Jan 05, 2005, 10:49 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
I would like to know how to get one also. Very cool!
Kirby
Jan 05, 2005, 11:29 AM
Texas Ranger
Good stuff, looking forward to the video. One thing that's always bugged me about ARFs is that everyone has the same plane. Dunno how much of a difference it would cost in production, but it would be nice to at least offer 3 or 4 different colour variations on that same scheme...

Quick Reply