Nov 23, 2018, 02:18 AM
Diver-driver
Thread OP
Build Log

Peter Rake Scale Build-Off - 28in Waco SRE

Hi all, Peters passing is gonna leave a big hole in our modeling community and Iím really happy to see how many people are participating in this commemorative build off.
So hereís my part Iím going to finally build an28in WACO SRE short Kit from Manzano Laserworks Iíve had in my stash for a couple of years.
Iím not expecting this to
Be a fast build not due to any complexity of the model, itís really quite simple but mainly due to the fact that Iím dealing with lots of life issues.. but working on a model can be a salve to the soul too so letís see where we get
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2018, 07:32 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
I built one of these a couple of years ago.

Hereís a link to my mini build thread to show details of motor, hatch, etc.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-%2828-1-2-%29
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Nov 24, 2018, 09:02 AM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Hi Phillip,

I've added the link to this thread to the list of entries. BTW, I looked at the in-flight video you have posted on your blog - very exciting flying!

Steve
Nov 24, 2018, 04:06 PM
Diver-driver
Thread OP
Thanks Steve !

Yeah we did a LOT of air2air photography this year, it’s exciting and a fun challenge! Thnanks for posting up the link I hope to get really going glueing balsa parts on Monday when I’m back from our last flying mission this year
Nov 25, 2018, 02:25 PM
Balsa Lover
Enjoyed your RC sailing ships build threads a lot. Will be fun to watch you build a plane for a change.
Nov 25, 2018, 03:09 PM
Diver-driver
Thread OP
Haha well did a lot more planes than boats especially recently, but who knows maybe I’ll finish HMS Snake one day
Jan 04, 2020, 06:12 PM
Diver-driver
Thread OP
Well here goes.. building hit a major bump before I even got started on this model.
My wife moved out, and I being fully in my midlife crisis at age 41 started to ride motorcycles.

Now Iím 43, and while I ride every possibility asking myself how I could have lived so long without a bike. But there are these long slow winter evenings and finally I found motivation to go to the workshop for some building again!

So better late than never Pete, this one is for you !
1 1/2 evenings in Iíve got the wings and elevator built in the rough, now itís time to take the fuselage plan sheet on the table and get going there next
Jan 15, 2020, 06:40 PM
Diver-driver
Thread OP
got all the laminations made for the cowl and the wheelpants. The rear part of the fuselage buit today. so next up forward fuselage.
Jan 15, 2020, 07:07 PM
Or current resident
Better late than never, says the guy who is still working on his Rake model as well...
Motorcycles, cool. I got wrapped up playing with an old Volkswagen and have been having fun with it.
Jan 15, 2020, 08:30 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Hi Phillip,

Welcome back!

Glad you are enjoying your new found freedom. I shall be happy to follow along with your model builds once again.

Shane.
Jan 15, 2020, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber
Well here goes.. building hit a major bump before I even got started on this model.
My wife moved out, and I being fully in my midlife crisis at age 41 started to ride motorcycles.

Now Iím 43, and while I ride every possibility asking myself how I could have lived so long without a bike. But there are these long slow winter evenings and finally I found motivation to go to the workshop for some building again!

So better late than never Pete, this one is for you !
1 1/2 evenings in Iíve got the wings and elevator built in the rough, now itís time to take the fuselage plan sheet on the table and get going there next
Sorry to hear about that, 36 here and went through a bad divorce at 34. Been rebuilding my life and trying to find the small joys I had cut out of my life before. Forgot how relaxing and fun building these little buggers can be!

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

-Nick
Jan 16, 2020, 03:00 AM
Diver-driver
Thread OP
Here’s the photo to yesterday’s progress..

I’m looking at how to fair the engine cowl a bit better into the fuselage.. so still think about that and what and where to put the RC things.
The plans call for 3/32in balsa in many places but unfortunately I can only get metric sizes here and 3/32 translates into 2.2mm Balsa, so one either substitutes by using 2mm or 2.5mm.. for all the sticks I went to the larger size, hope I didn’t add too much weight in back.
Jan 16, 2020, 04:56 AM
Neophyte hacker
Looks good. You should be fine on weight. Just plan on putting the battery on the back of the firewall.

I used thin balsa for the forward fuselage top and bottom (1/32 I think, ~1mm). The full size had some distinct shape changes where the cowling ended and the fuselage began. It also had ply skins for the forward section.

charlie
Jan 16, 2020, 05:08 AM
Diver-driver
Thread OP
I’ve got andernorts very nice drawings of the SRE, and to get the fuselage shape correct one need to start rounding the lower fuselage from the point the lower wing leading edge intersects the fuselage. The small Waco I built was doing that pretty well I think I’ll have to study that a bit and then decide on where to add some material to sand away after definitely the lower corners of the main bulkhead need to be rounded more. I’ll probably also build the hatch in the forward lower fuselage / cowl in front of the gear to make battery access there.
Hoping to getbthe weight to around 110g, everything now weights 55g
Jan 16, 2020, 06:47 AM
Or current resident
Ah yes, the radical wife-ectomy. I remember it well.
A very painful operation, but the patient survived and after rehab (plenty of good rum) I'm back to as normal as I get.

I understand your dilemma, Kinda went through the same with the Monocoupe 110, how do I correct the things that are not quite scale. Then I thought might be best (and easiest) to build the model semi-scale as Pete designed it.
Glenn

Quick Reply