Nov 21, 2018, 01:43 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Fairplay 30 by KY Models

I've been drooling over this kit ever since the first images appeared in forum postings on the German toy shows. Now I get to review it!

Full disclosure: I know the boss at KY Models, and got a deal on this kit. Still, my intention is to do a full and fair review, including any warts and work-arounds. You may supply your own grains of salt.

This kit is available under the PEBA brand name through Hobby Lobby Modellbau in Germany, and soon through another source in the UK. There is no current distribution in the USA, although I hear that is in the works. And no, I can't get you one either! But be patient, I'm hoping that soon this and other KY Model products will be available here. Why? Because I think this will be a shot in the arm for the hobby.

And why that? Mainly because this and other models will be offered as KITS, not just ARTR models. ARTR has drawbacks in my book... first, model builders are put off by the idea of RTR- where's the challenge? And if customization is your plan, you just have to undo a lot of the build that cost extra in the first place. And indeed, the ARTR models are about twice the cost of kits.

Now, a real builder is going to scratch build, right? Well, there are a handful here who can pull that off... but many many more who are put off by the daunting task of designing and scratch building everything from the hull to the last deck lamp. Quality kits fill a largely under-served need... they make it possible for talented but perhaps time-constrained builders to actually get a boat in the water.

The production of this kit makes use of processes that I've been hoping to see used by kit suppliers for years now. Now, the easiest kit will be a box full of injection molded styrene parts, such as you can get from Tamiya or Trumpeter. But injection molding is simply too pricey for a large low volume kit. So, why not use a process like RIM (resin injection molding)? Here, a 2-part resin is injected at low pressure (like 100psi), and allowed to cure (rather than cool) in the mold. A mold is still required, but it can be made from much lower cost material... even a rubber mold can be used. RIM may be used for large and relatively low volume parts, such as lawn tractor hoods. This also allows adding detail on both sides of a part, unlike crude single cavity fiberglass molds. Example: The cabin molding in this kit is finely detailed inside and out, with nice thin walls... nothing like the clunky hunk of gel-coat and fiberglass I'd find in a typical UK kit, where I still need to carve out the window openings.

And why not use 3D printing for masters, and even parts? Check that one off. The cabin was a 3dp master, and many other parts are actual 3d prints, such as the HOLLOW fire monitors and their feed pipes.

So follow along as I unbox this thing and figure out where to start!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2018, 02:16 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
OK, this is exciting! Direct drive schottels!

This is a KY Models design, utilizing a custom brushless motor mounted directly on the vertical shaft. No bevel gears to mess with, no belts to put huge side-loads on the vertical housings. Housings and props are either direct 3d prints, or molded from 3dp masters... not sure. Looks like steel bevel gears inside.

The prop is intended to turn fairly slowly, maybe 5000rpm on 7.4V lipo. Of course, 7.2V NiMH would be fine, or even 12v gel cell if you're careful about setting the throttle limit point.

A mounting bracket and sector gear are included; both units will turn together through a reasonable angle, but not 360į; you'll need reversing ESCs. 40A capacity was recommended to me, but I haven't checked actual current draw.

BTW, that's an example of omissions likely to be found in a low volume kit, especially early on: There's no mention of recommended voltage or current draw in the instructions.

I ran these at low speed on the bench... a bit noisy. I suspect that these are assembled with the housings as-printed, and with no adjustment. I may tear them down later and see if it would be possible to adjust the mesh with shims.
Nov 21, 2018, 02:44 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
And what about the real boat?

Fairplay Towage is headquartered in Hamburg. They had Fairplay 30 and 31 built in Spain in 2008. 39m long, twin Schottel drive. Fairplay 30 was sold and is now Bugsier 30.

You can find plenty of high res images on the web. Also, plans have been available to modelers for some time; a number of scratch built models can be found on the web too. There's even a book on one of these builds with lots of detail info.

Question for the tug experts: Are there any similar tugs being used by US firms? Of course you can paint your tug in any scheme you like... would be neat if there was actually a similar tug in use here somewhere...
Last edited by patmat2350; Nov 21, 2018 at 02:51 PM.
Nov 21, 2018, 08:09 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
When ya gonna start it?...
Nov 21, 2018, 08:18 PM
Grumpa Tom
Does it use KY jelly on the propshafts?

Looks like a nice kit. Any pricing info yet?
Nov 21, 2018, 08:52 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Started!

Tom, don't know on your first question, I'll need to defer to an expert. So what does it look like to you?
BTW, it's FAIRplay...

Pricing: See the Hobby Lobby Modellbau site for an idea... knock off the 19% VAT and possibly add your local sales tax...

BTW, the smaller Fairplay 1 model uses a similar but smaller Schottel... I hope that both will be made available as loose units. It's also similar to the drives used in KYM's QM2.

Last edited by patmat2350; Nov 21, 2018 at 09:11 PM.
Nov 21, 2018, 10:04 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
How heavy is this thing?

Since the hull is so deep, I didn't do a float test... rather, I filled the hull with water to about the desired waterline, and estimated the volume of fiberglass below the waterline... came up with 10.6 liters displacement, or 10.6 kg [ 23.4 lb].

Weight budget:

Hull: 4.25 lb
House: 0.84 lb
Drives (2): .72 lb
Bunch of flat stuff, bumpers: 1.69 lb
Some molded stuff: 0.33 lb
More molded stuff: 0.33 lb
Stern roller (supposed to be hollow plastic, I may used a brass bar, machined): Let's say 1 lb

Sub-total: 9.16 lb

Leaving a healthy 14.24 lb for batteries and ballast

I have a huge 12v 12Ah gel cell, it's about 7.5 lb... or I could go with a few 7.2v NiMH's... either way, I need to install ballast.
Nov 21, 2018, 10:16 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350

Pricing: See the Hobby Lobby Modellbau site for an idea... knock off the 19% VAT and possibly add your local sales tax...

BTW, the smaller Fairplay 1 model uses a similar but smaller Schottel... I hope that both will be made available as loose units. It's also similar to the drives used in KYM's QM2.

Pat,
Canít wait to see your log.

Bill
Nov 21, 2018, 11:16 PM
Grumpa Tom
$360 plus or minus USD doesn't seem bad at all.
Nov 21, 2018, 11:33 PM
boat butcher

Mark
Nov 22, 2018, 01:25 AM
Looking forward to your build. Looks interesting.
Nov 22, 2018, 11:27 AM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
$360 plus or minus USD doesn't seem bad at all.

Looking at the right model? More like $574 I'd think. Compare to the Nordic tug kit at Graupner USA, on sale now at $599.99.
Nov 22, 2018, 01:29 PM
Grumpa Tom
Nope, I looked at the Fairplay I.

Quick Reply