Nov 20, 2018, 11:32 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Thread OP
Discussion

Is night flying legal?

Per the recently passed FAA regs...... is night flying legal? I am just talking about sport flyers....... not Part 107 drones. I know they have to get a waiver to do so......

and GO>>>>>>>>>>>
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2018, 12:57 PM
Currently, direction from the AMA (and from the FAA I think) is to continue to fly under the current AMA guidelines. The AMA and the FAA working together on determining how to implement the new rules and I expect the AMA to update us on their progress shortly. If you are at an AMA field, and operating under AMA guidelines, you can fly at night for now.

But somebody will disagree with me in short order.
Nov 29, 2018, 12:41 PM
There are some nice nite flyerarfs on the market
But having tried it, it is easy to get lost unless you reall keep your eye on the model and stay in fairly close!
Nov 30, 2018, 07:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
There are some nice nite flyerarfs on the market
But having tried it, it is easy to get lost unless you reall keep your eye on the model and stay in fairly close!
I have been night flying for nearly 40 years , all the way back when we used Cyalume Light sticks on Nitro planes... whether it can be done is not the issue. I just wanted to know if it was banned by the new legislation passed.
Nov 30, 2018, 09:01 PM
In 1974 we were at a contest in Ohio and some of the guys used Cyalume on gliders for evening entertainment
First time for me
THe led strings on / in models today can make very good illumination
Dec 20, 2018, 12:32 PM
See my reply in the pecan patch thread, yes it is legal.
Dec 20, 2018, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdreamz
See my reply in the pecan patch thread, yes it is legal.
I saw that , thanks sir.
Dec 20, 2018, 10:42 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Yes it is legal.
Latest blog entry: Flying Log Book
Sep 10, 2019, 12:23 AM
There is nothing in H.R 302 which prohibits night flight https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/h...15hr302enr.pdf.

Looking at the federal register https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...anned-aircraft I don't see anything that prohibits flying at night. What I don't get is they don't allow part 107 drones it's okay if your doing it under rec flying.
Sep 29, 2019, 06:13 AM
Not legal in France
Sep 30, 2019, 06:46 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490
There is nothing in H.R 302 which prohibits night flight https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/h...15hr302enr.pdf.

Looking at the federal register https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...anned-aircraft I don't see anything that prohibits flying at night. What I don't get is they don't allow part 107 drones it's okay if your doing it under rec flying.
Part 107 drones can fly at night if they first get a waiver.
Oct 01, 2019, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch
My understanding the waiting list for the waiver is years long. That's why the FAA proposed new rules for 107 could fly at night with proper lighting and some other requirements. That hasn't been passed only talking about it.
Oct 07, 2019, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch
the FAA considers all to be sUAS, regardless if it is a multirotor or fixed wing. Currently 107 doesn't allow for it, 1/2hr from dawn & 1/2hr from dusk. Soon hobbyists will be required to conform to 107 rules, including mandatory passing of a knowledge test. It's just a matter of time.

edit: ….but legal if a waiver is granted
Last edited by DlZZY; Oct 07, 2019 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply