E-flite Delta Ray One

The Tag line is "The One ANYONE Can Learn to Fly" and it looks like the new Delta Ray One from E-flite is just that.

Splash

New Trainer Wing from E-flite

The Tag line is "The One ANYONE Can Learn to Fly" and it looks like the new Delta Ray One from E-flite is just that. It's small, light and packed with technology and design features that make it easy for new pilots to learn with. The flying wing shape with a pusher motor means less broken parts on bad landings and with SAFE technology on board, crashes are virtually a thing of the past.

It has 3 different flight modes, Beginner, Intermediate and Experienced so you can increase your skills and grow with the plane. For even more tech, you can add on a GPS module to bring Auto Land, Holding Pattern, and Virtual Fence functions into the mix. The Delta Ray One comes in two versions, RTF and BNF with prices set at $139.99 and $109.99.

Key Features:

• Plane is fully assembled and ready to go right out of the box!
  • Exclusive SAFE® technology from Horizon Hobby makes it easy to learn to fly
  • Beginner, Intermediate and Experienced flight modes at the flip of a switch
  • Easily upgrade to SAFE Plus GPS-enabled drone technology to add AutoLand, Virtual Fence and Holding Pattern features (sold separately)
  • Lightweight and extremely durable EPO construction with an impact-resistant rubber nose cone
  • Unique pusher configuration with folding blades for increased propeller and motor protection
  • Powerful and efficient brushless power system for excellent performance and long flight times
  • Industry-leading Spektrum™ DSMX® 2.4GHz technology
  • No FAA registration required (under the 250 gram weight limit)
  • FPV-Ready with On Screen Display (OSD) when used with compatible cameras and headsets or monitors (sold separately)

Check out the new Delta Ray One Here

Nov 20, 2018, 10:31 AM
I learned to fly on the original, which was a good, and good looking plane. This thing though is totally dopey looking…
Nov 20, 2018, 12:53 PM
Speaking of dopey .... someone designing models there still hasn't learned that the rear wingtips of a swept flying wing or delta experience an airflow OPPOSITE to that of a normal wing. That is, those rear tips are the horizontal TAIL of the plane. As such it is a well-known fact that greater inherent stability AND efficient performance is enhanced by DOWN-turned rear tips .... not those inexpertly designed upturned ones which must force the AS to do extra work, wearing out servos sooner than necessary. Well, easy enough to cut off and install going downward.

This is the correct, PROVEN way to properly orient those wingtips on that delta

Nov 20, 2018, 01:31 PM
Looks very nice for the price. I will probably be getting this one as my first brushless plane!
Nov 20, 2018, 02:26 PM
DFS#000178
I would've greatly preferred a brushless version of the original airframe.
Nov 20, 2018, 02:38 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I see the BNF is cleverly scheduled to arrive shortly after Xmas. Good planning.
Nov 20, 2018, 02:48 PM
Looks like something I can get to teach my grandkids to fly. It appears to fly real nice too.

E-flite® Delta Ray® RTF/BNF Basic with SAFE Technology, 500mm Airplane (2 min 57 sec)
Nov 20, 2018, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
Looks like something I can get to teach my grandkids to fly. It appears to fly real nice too.
Sure it does, thanks to the Artificial Stabilization. Horizon puts out good-performing products. Of course most things can be improved, so I'd cut them off and use UHU Por to adhere the tips pointing down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee
Speaking of dopey .... someone designing models there still hasn't learned that the rear wingtips of a swept flying wing or delta experience an airflow OPPOSITE to that of a normal wing. That is, those rear tips are the horizontal TAIL of the plane. As such it is a well-known fact that greater inherent stability AND efficient performance is enhanced by DOWN-turned rear tips .... not those inexpertly designed upturned ones which must force the AS to do extra work, wearing out servos sooner than necessary. Well, easy enough to cut off and install going downward.

This is the correct, PROVEN way to properly orient those wingtips on that delta

Nov 20, 2018, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I learned to fly on the original, which was a good, and good looking plane. This thing though is totally dopey looking…
Doesn't look dopey at all to me.
Latest blog entry: Goldberg Eagle 2
Nov 20, 2018, 06:29 PM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
I see the BNF is cleverly scheduled to arrive shortly after Xmas. Good planning.
Oddly enough, both show in stock at Tower:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJGTS&P=0
Nov 20, 2018, 06:39 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Pointing the wingtips downward would cause an increasing/destabilizing roll moment with spanwise flow, which is the mechanism a dihedraled model uses to self-stabilize and to couple yaw inputs into rolling moments.

I'm not saying Lee is wrong, specifically - I just don't see how the swept delta planform could reverse the effect of spanwise flow. Anhedral, as far as I'm aware, is normally used to intentionally destabilize the roll axis of an excessively roll-stable aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Doesn't look dopey at all to me.
I think this looks a lot slicker than the original. Big ole nacelles with twin props look dorky as heck on an otherwise sleek delta wing.

This one needs a better paint job, though. A sand camo scheme would spruce it up a lot.
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Nov 20, 2018, 06:44 PM
Down will help reduce Dutch Roll. Up increases it.

Andy
Nov 20, 2018, 06:53 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece
I think this looks a lot slicker than the original. Big ole nacelles with twin props look dorky as heck on an otherwise sleek delta wing..
That's what made the original unique-looking though. This one looks like they ran a Stryker and an Opterra into each other and this was the result.

Differential thrust also gave the original really solid yaw control. This one doesn't have a rudder and there's no differential thrust so it's purely bank-and-yank?

I might pick one up just because it's cheap and will probably get cheaper, but meeeeeeh. I'm not excited about it.
Nov 20, 2018, 07:42 PM
Hello Andy can you tell us where are the barometer placed on the brick or at the GPS unit, thank you

John
Nov 20, 2018, 08:16 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC
Oddly enough, both show in stock at Tower:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJGTS&P=0
That is interesting. I never saw anyone say this was even available for sale yet.

Maybe a Xmas present after all. Or a site screw-up.

EDIT -- I drilled down a little. Not in stock but they have a shipping date of end of November. I guess if they have a date, it's not a back-order.
Last edited by hard line; Nov 20, 2018 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply