Dec 31, 2004, 04:12 PM
Thread OP

Flyers in SE Michigan

Hey all, I don't know if this is the right place to post but I was looking for primarily electric flyers in the hadley-goodrich-davison area, basically lapeer, genesee counties.
Looking for a couple of reasons, there is alot of great flying spots around here with the open fields, and I'm afraid every time Itake my plane up there may be someone I'll shoot down. 40 acre field and a treeline could potentially hide a brother(or sister) flying. I'm on Channel 15 with a few planes and then I have some 29mhz stuff on 1 3 and 6,

Also would like to meet up sometime and fly together, right now I fly with my brother in law and father in law, would love to see some more planes in the air.

Considerd joining a club but my skills aren't all that great and the few clubs I've stopped by to visit didn't seem very friendly and no one was flying elecs. I got the impression just listening to them talk that there is a lot of politics about club leaders and who does what when and such. I'd just like to fly and not pay club dues to listen to alot of griping about what Bob said about Tom running the club.

anyway if your in the area and want to share a field sometime leave a post.

Thanks
Adam
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2004, 09:03 PM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Hey Adam!

I live just South of Lansing so I'm not very close to you and man, this area of mid MI is a RC wasteland, at least for electric planes. I've never seen another flyer and the only club is 25 miles from my house and appears to be oriented to glow powered planes. No indoor sites at all that I am aware of. I'm not much of a club type guy anyway, so I fly alone.

When I was teaching myself to fly, I drove about 10 mile to the family farm where I had a couple hundred acres to make mistakes in. Now I just fly from my back yard and use mine and the neighbor's airspace. I'm getting pretty good at dodging trees, well, most of the time anyway.

I know that there are a couple of other MI guys that post messages on some of these forums, but from what I can tell, we are spread out all around the state.

Good to hear from another "Gander" all the same.

Gary D.
Jan 01, 2005, 10:33 AM
Hack of all trades...
Hellow fellow Michiganders!
You guys are aren't close enough to me to fly together, but thought I'd check in anyway. I'm in the Utica/Shelby Township area, which is about a 20 min drive from a fairly major club field, RCCD. I've been a paying member of the club for 2 years, but I did not fly there once this year because of some of the same things you guys mentioned in your posts. I get enough stress at work and don't need any b.s. when I'm trying to relax. Safety is always my first concern, but I get the distinct feelling at the club site that people are watching and waiting for me to make a mistake so they can go off.

I've been flying at an open area of the Stoney Creek Metro Park since this past summer. There are both glow and electric flyers there, and the people I've met have been FANTASTIC and helpful. Everyone is aware and careful about frequencies as well. My only concern is that I'm told there's a group that meets to fly pontoon planes off one of the lakes in the park and it's possible we could be out of sight but still close enough to bash each other's signals.

Happy flying,

Smooth
Jan 01, 2005, 04:28 PM
Last seen fleeing Detroit

SE Mich. Electric Flyers Only...

Fellas,lots of R/C clubs and the EFO of SE Mich is the best...friendly members,and good summer events.We flew today...New Years tradition thing,only foamies but we had fun....Smooth,check PM
Last edited by dulcet; Jan 02, 2005 at 10:20 AM.
Jan 01, 2005, 04:58 PM
Hack of all trades...
Dulcet:
So I wasn't the only one in MI flying today? I think that's a great tradition!

Can you tell me more about EFO, I've never heard of it. Where is the flying location?

All the best,

Smooth
Jan 01, 2005, 05:58 PM
Adam,

I live in the Flint area and fly just electrics. I mainly fly helicopters but have a few planks. Your welcome to come and fly with us @ The Chesaning R/C club. Send me PM and I'll give you my phone number.
Jan 01, 2005, 06:47 PM
Gravity sucks.
The Romeo Skyhawks field is on Kunstman, north of 29 mile, right out by you Fungoo, and there are many E people there. I give a talk there every year on electric, and there is always a lot of interest. I also fly there for the Romeo Peach Festival airshow, a bunch of good guys that like to fly, not hassle ya. Check them out.....

http://www.romeoskyhawks.org/
Jan 01, 2005, 09:26 PM
Smooth,

What area of Stoney Creek do you fly in? The Float flyers use Winter Cove on Wednesday mornings.
Jan 01, 2005, 10:53 PM
I'm a one year member of RCCD. Haven't flown since about late August at the moment for no real good reason other then spent too much time sailing towards the end of summer and am deep into building season now. I don't really mind the politics and stuff since I've been a member of one club or another since I started flying. There are others on here from this area also. Don't know anyone up there though.

I can say that I have messed up good right in front of everyone once while flying. Someone volunteered to stand next to me for the rest of the flight but never was rude about it. The scare is worse then what will be done. They are very concerned over keeping their flying site and like most clubs on public land are one good accident and lawsuit away from looking for a new site.

There are enough of us east siders on here we ought to start an EFO-East.
Jan 02, 2005, 10:43 AM
Hack of all trades...
I just re-read my first post on this thread and I'm concerned about how negative my comments were regarding the RCCD club. It was not my itention to be. There are quite a good number of great people I've met out there, and many have been very giving with their time and talents.

Georged: the place I've flown with others at Stoney Creek is the field adjacent to the north parking lot of the Oakgrove picnic area (see map). Thanks for the info concerning the float flyers...I'll definitely keep an eye out. The situation at Oakgrove is very ad hoc but it seems like it's been growing. We should all be careful to make sure we don't have a possible case of frequency bashing.

Not a great day for flying today, eh?

Smooth
Jan 02, 2005, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
Hey guy's

great to hear back. I flew through two charges on my slowstick yesterday, great flying in the morning, let my daughter grab the sticks for a little bit too (she's 10 and itching to play with daddies toys). Also got to fly my Ultimate Bipe, still need practice on that baby, need to learn how to hover w'out bending a prop shaft

My father in law put his cub up in a tree but we all had fun. I have to go to MN on business for the week so I won't get to fly again till next weekend. Oh well. I checked out the Romeo Sky Hawks site, looks like a friendly bunch. Does anyone still fly at the miracle twin drive in off I69? I remember seeing peple fly there as a kid. I also heard that there is indoor flying in Waterford at one of the domes but I'm not sure which one(so many golf domes so little time) I thought that it'd be fun to go watch as I've never seen indoor flying "live". Thanks for the invite Skippy, I'll probably take you up on the offer, just got to get some more free time, My schedule is booked pretty solid right now so I'll be limited to G2 and FMS for a few. Which is fine cause I still need to learn how to make my ultimate dance. Happy flying guys and now I know where to start looking for fellow fliers!
Oct 26, 2009, 01:10 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Hey guys! We have a little Un-Club that we call SEMFF (South East Michigan Foamie Flyers).

We have a thread in the Scratchbuilt section where we all discuss flying and schedule flying trips. We always welcome more. Most of us are from the Northern Detroit area but Ken is out in Attica.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968746

This thread is a bit old but it is always good to find new flying buddies!
Oct 26, 2009, 01:43 PM
Gravity sucks.
Lenox huh? I grew up out there on 29 mile...pre garbage dump
Oct 26, 2009, 04:13 PM
Retired
You guys are all at least an hour+ from me, I'm close to the Ohio border, actually closer to cabelas, which is also helps keep my wallet empty.
Feb 02, 2014, 10:28 AM
I am sorry you guys have had problems with clubs. I have been in SkyMasters (out by Lake Orion) and Fly'n Wolverines (S of Marine City) and everyone there has been friendly, helpful, and a valuable source of info.
There are many advantages to be in a club:
1. AMA liability insurance is valid if the club meets the specs.
2. Always someone who flies better can help you with maiden flights.
3. Someone always has that part you just broke.
4. The lawn is always mowed very short.
5 Usually there is a good barbeque cook in the club.
5. You get to vote on how you like the field, club rules, etc made.

I don't think the size of the club has to do with their attitude either, the two I have been in span the whole range.
Also your perceived lack of skill is not a problem, you actually get more attention if you are a newbie. And most clubs follow the AMA "Juniors" tradition - free membership. You probably have more flying skill than me, and I am a club officer! so there.

BTW, the SEMFF unClub has most of the attributes above, and really excel at the helpful part, great guys, even some famous ones that make kits, have re-invented the foam for RC, and have arranged for indoor flying.
Last edited by dbacon; Feb 02, 2014 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply