Nov 18, 2018, 11:22 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
Thread OP
Build Log

Thermic 30 for OZNoP - Outerzone No Picture Build 2018

This is me, going way out on the limb committing to getting a Thermic 30 built to plans with no modifications.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3627
One thing about this build-off, I have often surfed through OZ plans looking specifically for plans with no pics, with an interest of building to be able to supply a pic or two of the finished plane.
So, this buildoff makes total sense to me, and I wanted to add to the info on OZ.

Sometimes, though, the simple designs come with complications.
After perusing the plans, I suspect the original kits came with shaped wing material??? Edit- comment found on plans directing builder to shape airfoil from sheet stock.
There is no max thickness listed on the plans and I will be shaping to the general airfoil I can pick off the plan. Edit - a reference arfoil is provided, actually 2 - 1 at the inner section of the wing and 1 toward the wingtips.
Last edited by PGregory; Nov 19, 2018 at 12:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2018, 04:40 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Subscribed.
Nov 19, 2018, 10:15 AM
I built several of those as a kid. They were a blast!

Andy
Nov 19, 2018, 01:05 PM
skumgummi dave
Good looking glider.
Nov 19, 2018, 02:00 PM
B for Bruce
If you're looking at doing this mostly to fly casually off a small rise from hand tosses but mostly admire it as it hangs over your bench then by all means build it flat like it shows. But if you want to fly it a bit more often then if it were me I think I'd look at converting the wing over to a Jedelsky sheet style of airfoil both for adding some camber as well as reducing the weight a touch.

I don't know how much all balsa wing shaping you've done in the past. But in case you have not done a lot of it here's a couple of tricks. And if not for you it may aid someone else. My apologies if this is already known.

If you simply glue together some 1/4" sheet and hack it down to the usual hand launch style airfoil then a razor plane would sure come in handy. But if you just do all the shaping with sandpaper be sure to use new fresh paper for all the sanding. A big factor is to only use light pressure and let the sandpaper cut. The lighter the pressure, within reason, the better If dull paper is used and excess force applied to make up for the lack of cutting the pressure will cause the wood to curl and go wavy. This deformation is worse with the lighter sort of wood that should be used on a wing of this size too.
Last edited by BMatthews; Nov 19, 2018 at 02:06 PM.
Nov 19, 2018, 06:16 PM
who has rabbit ears down
I think it's a handsome bird!
Latest blog entry: HyperFlight Survey results
Nov 23, 2018, 10:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
If you're looking at doing this mostly to fly casually off a small rise from hand tosses but mostly admire it as it hangs over your bench then by all means build it flat like it shows. But if you want to fly it a bit more often then if it were me I think I'd look at converting the wing over to a Jedelsky sheet style of airfoil both for adding some camber as well as reducing the weight a touch.

I don't know how much all balsa wing shaping you've done in the past. But in case you have not done a lot of it here's a couple of tricks. And if not for you it may aid someone else. My apologies if this is already known.

If you simply glue together some 1/4" sheet and hack it down to the usual hand launch style airfoil then a razor plane would sure come in handy. But if you just do all the shaping with sandpaper be sure to use new fresh paper for all the sanding. A big factor is to only use light pressure and let the sandpaper cut. The lighter the pressure, within reason, the better If dull paper is used and excess force applied to make up for the lack of cutting the pressure will cause the wood to curl and go wavy. This deformation is worse with the lighter sort of wood that should be used on a wing of this size too.
I will heed your warning - I think these "simpler" birds sometimes take quite a bit of finesse to end up with the intended copy of the original.
The cross section on the wing makes it seem Jasco planed down the trailing part of the sheet balsa at an angle, then left it up to the builder to shape the forward part. From a contest flying perspective, your information is really helpful - thanks...
Peter
Nov 23, 2018, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly
I think it's a handsome bird!
Agreed - I was surprised when this plan came up with no picture. I would have thought it would be well covered, as it is part of the long line of Jasco Thermic designs. I like the lines on all the Thermics. I bought a Thermic 50 RC on ebay a couple of years ago, that has an old escapement in it. I would love to fly it with the escapement but it seems like an arduous process of researching and locating the Tx part, and who knows if the Rx part even works.

Cheers,
Peter
Nov 24, 2018, 12:48 PM
B for Bruce
Peter, there's folks that are keen on doing things the old ways that have added new controllers to Tx boards and modified the software in Rx's to allow them to drive old escapments. Check out the Vintage RC threads with a search or two.
Nov 24, 2018, 04:13 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Drop PhilG a line; he'll sort you out.....
http://www.singlechannel.co.uk
Dec 15, 2018, 01:43 AM
Thread OP
4 more days and I can start the build...
Dec 18, 2018, 02:21 PM
Thread OP
Ok, as of noon today, all reasonable excuses for not building/finishing this project have evaporated and I have fewer things in my way to get this done...

(If there are any other teachers/professors out there, God bless you during grading!)
Dec 19, 2018, 11:55 AM
Nemesis of Bill Barnes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGregory
Ok, as of noon today, all reasonable excuses for not building/finishing this project have evaporated and I have fewer things in my way to get this done...

(If there are any other teachers/professors out there, God bless you during grading!)
Thanks PGregory! I have 2 Jimmie Allen models in the covering and finishing stages that I can get back to once I have turned in grades here at UNH
Dec 29, 2018, 04:53 PM
Thread OP

Under Way...

Ok, I protected my Saturday from schedule intrusions and actually got under way. I can do this.
Except I was struck by restart-itus and fouled a few things up and have to start over on the wing.
Of course, I have everything but 1/8 sheet so off to buy more.
I got caught by assume-itus. I assumed each of the 3 panels of the wing would be 10" for a 30" wingspan.
Not so, not so...
The outer panels are 1/4" over 10".
Which, of course, leaves the center panel 9.5"

In the meantime, a few progress shots.
Dec 29, 2018, 11:56 PM
Thread OP

Day One - Good Progress

So, starting the project with 60 hours to go should still give me enough time.
Stopping here before midnight because nothing good happens after 12 a.m.(!)

Sorry poor quality photo but I think there was sawdust on the lens of my cellphone camera.
The phone also wouldn't let me use flash because the battery was so low.

Shaping the wing all at once has to be the best way to go.
The length of the wing before separating the sections is 31" - gives me some headroom for kerf, etc. to dial in at 30" final.
There are two airfoils shown on the plan. In the side view, the airfoil looks like a very thin Clark Y, but the detailed directions show a piece-wise beveled profile.
The first shot at the wing, today, I shaped as the thin Clark Y, but the second one in the photo is closer to the described airfoil on the plan.
I spent a day designing a fixture to flat-plane the wing in Fusion 360, and I would like to do another Thermic 30 with that setup. I ran out of time to print it out and use it in order to be finished before the New Year.

I got the fuse and vertical stabilizer pretty well along, today.

I should be able to finish tomorrow, perhaps spilling over to New Years Eve day for final detailing and maidening.

Quick Reply