This thread is privately moderated by GRW3, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 18, 2018, 07:44 PM
Modeling Retread
Thread OP
Discussion

Sad Pilgramidge

Ive had this blog since 2006. One of my early posts discussed my clubs field travails. In particular, I lamented the one that cost us a lot of money. Here is the post:

Retread-Flying-Field-Daze

Yesterday, I had a reason to return to the landfill. We had done some demolition work for a room remodel and need to dump the debris. My son-in-law drove and I took it in. I felt a wave of nostalgia as we turned in the gate, the first time since 2005. Through the weigh scales, past the methane powered generators and up the old familiar hill. Even the turn off was the same one we used to use. The difference now being the giant landfill mountain where the flying field used to be.

My son-in-law and his two helpers unloaded the debris while I contemplated the fields fate. The 2020 date we were supposed to have the field to seemed a long time in the early 90s but not so long now. With the changes in the hobby, I wonder if we could have kept the 150 member roster that field needed to keep the maintenance up or would we be struggling now with no money to move on when they did claim the field for use. Never know.

Were doing OK now. I think the recession hurt a lot due to gas prices but, thanks to fracking, that looks to be history. Weve got one modest sized signature event for the fall and are trying to establish one for the spring. The fall event, discussed in an earlier pot is for modeler built models. With good weather we get about 25 pilots averaging about two planes each. Well be OK.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply