Nov 24, 2018, 11:23 PM
Oh my, yes! With a decent digital micro servo, this would be VERY interesting! Kent, do you envision no mix, pure elevator on the inboard servos and pure aileron on the outboards, or some kind of cross-mixing?

The outboard aileron servos' mass would require a larger fin for yaw damping, but it could be a net gain in ease of construction.

thinking, thinking....
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2018, 10:33 AM
Everything's A Composite
If it were mine...........
I'd have full span aileron, with twice the deflection at the tip as compared to the root and an inner finely adjusted elevator.
Nov 26, 2018, 09:39 AM
Maybe make the elevons' root chord be half (or less) of the tip chord? You would still have to sweep the tip forward to reduce the pitching moment arm of the outboard end... like your avatar's planform.

??
Jan 20, 2019, 04:07 PM
Everything's A Compromise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53
Or better yet, put an aileron servo out at the tip of the elevon and then a dedicated elevator servo at the root. This way you could program for a good roll rate and fine elevator control in one flexible elevon.
EXHIBIT “A”.

I built one of those in the 80’s. Such a fun model.
A 2ch radio and no mixing required. The roll rate was phenomenal.

David.
Feb 07, 2019, 03:42 AM
Thread OP
Just a short update.

A new fuselage has been constructed. I used one of the cheap foam gliders (https://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/...NCH-GLIDER-12M). Its fuse turned to be an ideal option. A lot of space for placing the battery and the radio. Looks alright as well.

Due to the weather I have not got an opportunity to experiment with settings. I just made a short test flight to make sure everything still works. The same settings and CG as the first time. The only difference is shortened horn arms on the control surfaces. The flight was stable without any bad tendencies, but again, it was too short for a proper test of everything.
Mar 01, 2019, 05:16 AM
Thread OP
Due to very good whether in the UK this week I had a couple of chanced to fly test the model. I played with CG and found that the previously reported location, 53 mm (17% MAC), was almost perfect. The final location is now about 55 mm. Anything further back makes the model too pitch sensitive for my liking.
The final mass with the new fuselage is 575 g. Fuselage - 275 g; wing - 300 g . Thus, the wing loading is 20.3 g/dm^2
The model is not acrobatic at all. With some effort it can manage a very slow roll. Loops are slow and clean though. Generally the flight is very stable and predictable without any nasty tendencies.

All in all I am very please with the result. It has exceeded all my expectations.
I consider this little project completed.
Mar 18, 2019, 04:31 PM
Everything's A Composite
It's never complete............

Next up, add a gyro on the elevator and move the CG back to 24% of the MAC. I'll bet that it will do snappy loops then! I did this on my Air Plank and the results were impressive.

The roll rate should be very good. Try bumping the aileron throws up a bit.

Quick Reply