Nov 18, 2018, 03:01 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Quadra? Size?

Hi Guys,
I bought this vintage Nosen Mr. Mulligan off Craigslist. It appears to me that it has a Quadra engine but I cannot tell
what size. Anybody have an idea? That's a 20" prop.
Thanks guys.
Last edited by maxray1; Nov 18, 2018 at 04:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2018, 04:10 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
I'm not familiar with Quadras larger than the family of 35's through 42's. But I know they all have rear exhausts...Yours, with the side exhaust ,could be a 50 cc engine..?

Also, take care of that box...There are collectors who cherish them, and they're worth around $25...I sold the container for Sterling's Chris Craft a couple of years ago.
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
Nov 18, 2018, 10:49 AM
It looks like the 50, I flew the 50 and the 35, they ran great, heavy by todays standards, but long lasting industrial quality engines. I liked a 20X8 prop on the 50, larger props lugged it down and slowed down throttle response and lowered the engines performance.

Jim
Nov 18, 2018, 12:02 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys!!!
Nov 18, 2018, 04:40 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
I had a 50 in here, and it was 'adequate' ha ha ha...
Nov 18, 2018, 05:00 PM
Thread OP
Does anyone know someone who rebuilds these?
Nov 18, 2018, 05:02 PM
"Mr. Mulligan" only requires a .60 for power! That would be fun to watch, from a safe distance.

Jim
Nov 19, 2018, 07:49 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomaster
"Mr. Mulligan" only requires a .60 for power! That would be fun to watch, from a safe distance.

Jim
Recommended power was a .60, when gas engines didn't exist....Of the 500 Nosen models I've seen, none of them had a .60 !

As a rule, their size could tolerate engines in the 25-50cc ranges..The larger propellors made them good flying models, without being over-powered..
Nov 19, 2018, 08:59 AM
AMA 537620
I would assume nobody's trying to fly it with a .60 unless they had a gear drive. A .60 by itself can technically handle a 10 lb plane as long as the takeoff speed isn't too high.
Nov 19, 2018, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxray1
Does anyone know someone who rebuilds these?
Many years ago Dario Brisighella was the Quadra expert... still do have his book... not sure if he is still amongst us
Nov 19, 2018, 02:10 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Dario did a couple of flywheels for me, early on....He purposely 'unbalanced' them , so the power impulses were smoothed out....and he installed the CDI ignition that replaced the ignition points and condenser...

I have a Nosen Citabria in a Museum, still with that engine. I think by now, it's 36 or 37 years old.

They're kinda like old Tractors...they deteriorate to a point, then just do whatever you ask of them.

I remember an old 'Roper' engine that someone had machined a groove into the flywheel, filled it with oil and added some loose ball bearings under the cover...Eventually the bearings would settle into a location where the engine ran fairly smoothly. Tricky !
Nov 19, 2018, 04:27 PM
Pro Hoarder
I have seen the ball bearing ballance rings for use on car wheel and tires..Not sure how well it worked but the principal is sound... I would think it may have problems if you changed rpm a lot
Latest blog entry: In flight
Nov 19, 2018, 05:26 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
I have seen the ball bearing ballance rings for use on car wheel and tires..Not sure how well it worked but the principal is sound... I would think it may have problems if you changed rpm a lot
When you first started it, it was 'out of focus'... but as the balancers found their spot the difference was noticeable....
Nov 20, 2018, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
Hmmm. Well, Maybe I'll mix up some fuel and see what happens....
I'll make a YouTube video. Thanks again guys!
Nov 20, 2018, 01:06 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
I have done a bit of tests on a Canfield balancer. Didn't really work well.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=5939533

Quick Reply