Nov 16, 2018, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bruder D5 1 day build

ive been wanting a d5 build for awhile,but always forgot about it,or put it off.....ect.
we all seen em done before,nothing new right.
i chose the same tamiya 4 speed gearbox model 70168 as most do,but id went a different route with controls and the blade.....and the sprocket.
i installed a complete $50 heng long tank tx/rx/mfu system with sound and option to install lights later.
HL route offers 1 stick tracks,leaving the turret channel open for the blade.
and i have on the tx volume control,and the smoke button is on/off control that can be used to activate lights.......all for $50
i have no room to spare under the interior after installing everything.(speaker has been moved inside)
i went with 2 18650 samsung 25r 3300 mah lion cells for 8-12 hr runtime before needing a charge.place in a $3 ebay battery holder.
i designed and 3d printed some new drive sprockets with longer teeth.
also designed the servo post and pivot system for the blade.
i chose a standard futaba s3003 servo,ripped out the servos esc board and pot,modded for 360.....soldered on motor wires.
so my servo is basically a gear motor that looks like a servo.
when the blade reaches max travel it stalls the servo.

Bruder D5 RC conversion (10 min 43 sec)

Bruder d5 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2018, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
Bruder D5 RC (5 min 1 sec)
Feb 20, 2019, 06:08 PM
Hey man, your model looks like it runs great! I built one of these a couple months ago, but used a Sabertooth Dual 5A motor driver and wasn't very happy with the results.....and I've even got a spare HengLong RX/TX that is collecting dust and never thought to use it!

A couple quick questions for ya....how did you connect the Futaba servo to the HL board? Also, what was the reason for the 3D printed sprocket gear...do it work better than the stock one? Do you have a print file for it? Again, great running dozer!!

Sabertooth unit: https://www.robotshop.com/en/dimensi...or-driver.html
Feb 27, 2019, 12:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13
Hey man, your model looks like it runs great! I built one of these a couple months ago, but used a Sabertooth Dual 5A motor driver and wasn't very happy with the results.....and I've even got a spare HengLong RX/TX that is collecting dust and never thought to use it!

A couple quick questions for ya....how did you connect the Futaba servo to the HL board? Also, what was the reason for the 3D printed sprocket gear...do it work better than the stock one? Do you have a print file for it? Again, great running dozer!!

Sabertooth unit: https://www.robotshop.com/en/dimensi...or-driver.html
i run a sabertooth 2x12 in my 2nd d5,i like it.the heng long unit has smoother / slower turning though.
i converted the servo to 2 wire by removing its internal esc.....basically a gearbox now with no end stops but still variable output on the HL turret swing channel.
my thingiverse file is currently not loading,search bruder d5......my username is igotit.

my last vid posted above was the sabertooth model running a standard 3 wire servo.
the 1st vid was the heng long setup,ive recently blew a gear in the tamiya gearbox......in all fairness i did abuse this lil dozer.i must have over 100 hours on it.

Quick Reply