Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

AI Robotic Racing Coming in 2019

The DRL (Drone Racing League) is set to kick off the first ever Artificial Intelligence Robotic Racing (AIRR) Circuit. This is a global autonomous drone racing series and you can get in on the action and claim your share of the more than $2 Million dollars prize pool.

Splash

AI Drones Racing Challenge

The DRL (Drone Racing League) is set to kick off the first ever Artificial Intelligence Robotic Racing (AIRR) Circuit. This is a global autonomous drone racing series and you can get in on the action and claim your share of the more than $2 Million dollar prize pool with the Grande Prize winning team taking home a cool $1 Million. There's also a $250,000 bonus to the first team who can beat a human piloted drone in a head to head race.

Your chance to compete in the AIRR 2019 season begins by entering the Lockheed Martin AlphaPilot Innovation Challenge. You'll be able to develop AI for racing drones and shape the future of the sport. So gather 9 of your best coders, gamers and AI experts and sign up to enter the challenge. Applications close on February 28, 2019.

More Info on the Lockheed Martin AlphaPilot Innovation Challenge

AIRR: Coming 2019 (0 min 23 sec)

Dec 01, 2018, 12:07 PM
Some might feel that taking the pilots out of the race kinda takes the sport out of it... like betting on horse racing at the carnival.

IMO the technology is neat, but not nearly as engaging for the spectators as rooting for actual pilots. I don't see this sector of AI racing as being sustainable after the novelty wears off.
Dec 02, 2018, 11:32 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
My thoughts exactly, and the lack of interest in this thread suggests that others feel the same.
Latest blog entry: Canola Huckin'
Dec 02, 2018, 02:21 PM
I love stuff like this as a competition to drive innovation (like DARPA self driving cars contests from years back), but as a sport I think it loses all the appeal.
Dec 03, 2018, 07:48 AM
This is a very contemporary challenge who's time is ripe. You will need time, money and serious skill and knowledge to pull this off., so Universities will be the prime source of competitors I would guess

Agile Drone Flight through Narrow Gaps with Onboard Sensing and Computing (2 min 4 sec)

This particular project requires a Jetson TX2 and they arent cheap, nor yet as far as I know is there an Arduino Jetson TX2 Addon!

There are more entry level options too, which are more accessible for mere mortals, e.g

https://www.formulapi.com/

Quick Reply