Jan 07, 2019, 02:13 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Very nice Chris!! Lots of good Touch and goes there, and yes, I could see them quite well thank you!! For a moment there I thought you were going to try to touch don exactly on the zero mark!!

BTW... what does the voice on your TX say right at the end of the count down???

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2019, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SW
I can't see it either. Don't do Facebook
Sorry guys, my friend sent it via text but our phones reduced the quality greatly. He then shared it to my FB page, which was at full resolution, but I can't figure out how to save the video externally from FB. I did share it to the EF Owner's Group FB page
Jan 07, 2019, 02:16 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Very nice Chris!! Lots of good Touch and goes there, and yes, I could see them quite well thank you!! For a moment there I thought you were going to try to touch don exactly on the zero mark!!

BTW... what does the voice on your TX say right at the end of the count down???

SteveT.
So long as I don't touch down on the minus 1 mark we should be OK...

The Tx says "Timer 1 elapsed". I guess with it being a Taranis I could get it to say something more interesting but frankly prefer flying to figuring out things like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy
Sorry guys, my friend sent it via text but our phones reduced the quality greatly. He then shared it to my FB page, which was at full resolution, but I can't figure out how to save the video externally from FB. I did share it to the EF Owner's Group FB page
Thanks Cowboy. Can't see it there either as it won't share with me. Probably cos I don't (or more accurately wont) do facebook.
Jan 07, 2019, 05:35 PM
Another try...
MTBM hover (0 min 23 sec)
Last edited by wyo69cowboy; Jan 07, 2019 at 05:40 PM. Reason: add video
Jan 07, 2019, 06:02 PM
Got it!! Great job!!

SteveT.
Jan 08, 2019, 08:55 AM
100% electric since 1990
She's a beast! Background music should be "Big girls don't cry"...
Jan 08, 2019, 03:58 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks Cowboy. Great hover. Puts me to shame.
Jan 10, 2019, 03:58 AM
Oooooo, look what I just found!!! Tundra wheels and tires from 5.5" to 8"!! Just what a Mega TBM needs!!

SteveT.
Jan 10, 2019, 05:52 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
Now they look SWEEEEET.. They would look very cool and sound way better on a touch and go.
Jan 10, 2019, 06:03 PM
I think they would.

SteveT.
Jan 19, 2019, 03:45 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
Finally the weather and a little bit of free time happened at the same time so me and the Mega went up to the strip.

The weather was perfect. Low sunshine but nil wind. Getting a bit more confident with the plane but having not flown for a couple of weeks or so she sure was big for a minute or two .

Tried a proper hover having seen Cowboy's video and it is the easiest plane to hover. I even managed a torque roll that looked like a torque roll. AWESOME!

Confidence can bite though, or very nearly anyway. Because the Mega is soooo easy to fly you can forget that she is most definitely NOT a 60 or 70" plane with 280 to 300 watts per pound. Got myself in a bit of bother in a right turn during a harrier that was rapidly turning into a right hand wing down spin. Now with the 74 Slick, pile on the power and blast to the sky! Not so much with 26 lbs of hugeness that has a bit of momentum behind it. Very close call with full power on and the sticks going in all corners at once up she went with only a bit of grass caught in the elevator. PHEW!!!

Calmed down and flew a few circuits with touch and goes to settle the nerves. Tried to find the actual stall but there isn't one. Just turns into a harrier, with or without flaps at silly slow speeds. The elevators are just so powerful, tried a wall into hover and with a full elevator pull she turns over on her back, way past vertical. Certainly this plane has a few tricks up her sleeve. Fortunately it all seems to happen at a sensible pace due to the size. Just need to respect that tightening right hand harrier turn.

Hopefully I might get another pair of flights tomorrow. Forecast is good and if the sun's out I'll get the phone on my head for some more video. Can't wait.
Jan 21, 2019, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SW
Tried a proper hover having seen Cowboy's video and it is the easiest plane to hover. I even managed a torque roll that looked like a torque roll. AWESOME!

Confidence can bite though, or very nearly anyway. Because the Mega is soooo easy to fly you can forget that she is most definitely NOT a 60 or 70" plane with 280 to 300 watts per pound. Got myself in a bit of bother in a right turn during a harrier that was rapidly turning into a right hand wing down spin. Now with the 74 Slick, pile on the power and blast to the sky! Not so much with 26 lbs of hugeness that has a bit of momentum behind it. Very close call with full power on and the sticks going in all corners at once up she went with only a bit of grass caught in the elevator. PHEW!!!

Just need to respect that tightening right hand harrier turn.
Yes, she's a great flying plane, and like most modern 3D planes, make me look better than I am I have found, on both the 84" and 120" TBM, you are using a power system designed for slightly smaller planes, and while they hover quite nicely, you don't have the "oh s#!+" get outta trouble power, so a little prudence is wise
Jan 21, 2019, 02:25 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
Quote:
Yes, she's a great flying plane, and like most modern 3D planes, make me look better than I am I have found, on both the 84" and 120" TBM, you are using a power system designed for slightly smaller planes, and while they hover quite nicely, you don't have the "oh s#!+" get outta trouble power, so a little prudence is wise
Completely agree. Nearly found out the power bit the hard way. Still getting used to the different way she flys compared to "more normal" 3D planes, but boy am I having some fun, HELL YEAH! As Doc would say.....

More of my flying if anyone can stand it

Having a ball with My Mega TBM (8 min 30 sec)
Jan 21, 2019, 04:40 PM
100% electric since 1990
You are flying a 24# plane on a strip that I fly parkflyers out of...
Jan 21, 2019, 05:31 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by twest
You are flying a 24# plane on a strip that I fly parkflyers out of...
That's the best bit. The Mega flys so slow with loads of drag it's the easiest by far to land on my small strip. Better than that with the flaps down the take off is measured in inches. More levitation than a take off....

The hardest to land, without harriering in that is, is the 60" Extra. Floats right on by if you don't get the approach right. 74 Slick is better as the bigger prop seems to really help with approach speed but the Mega is something else. Flaps up or down it can fly so slow, lands on a dime. It's just AWESOME FUN.

I bet the 84 TBM is just as good, you have just got to get one....

Quick Reply