Nov 15, 2018, 03:07 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
Discussion

Legacy Aviation MEGA TBM

As I know a few of you out there have one of these and my Blue and White one finally arrived today......... WOO HOOO. YAHOO......YEAH MAN, COOL......

Sorry about that. Anyway I thought I would start a thread here. I suppose I could utilise the FG thread but as I tend to hang out here and the plane is definitely 3D I'll stay over here.

Here's my box. It didn't look so big in the rear bed of my work tipper truck but it was when I got it into the house.... OMG this thing is huge!

Looking forward to getting building and have all the gear ready but as tends to be the case, flat out at work so will have a quick look in to make sure she survived the trip and then hold on until I have a bit of time.

Nothing different in mine

Xpwr 60 Motor
Castle 160 amp Esc
Falcon 26 x 8 Carbon Prop
Savox 1270TG servos
twin Frsky X8R Rx's with a 20 amp 16 channel redundancy Bus
Twin 2200 mah Lipo Radio batteries
6000 mah main packs

I have had the motor set up on a test stand to make sure it works OK so pretty happy with that and have run the radio parts in my 74" Slick and all that works great too. First time for telemetry for me too so have a current sensor, rpm and temp sensor on the esc. I have set up a "fuel gauge" on my Taranis so instead of relying on a timer can fly to 25% capacity each time without having to make adjustments for flying style. For a 20th century man that's very cool.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2018, 03:21 PM
Congrats Chris! I know it has been a long time coming, glad it is finally in your possession. Enjoy!
Nov 15, 2018, 03:55 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT
Congrats Chris! I know it has been a long time coming, glad it is finally in your possession. Enjoy!
Thanks Chris. What's a couple of months between friends.........

Could well be the first one in the UK but I bet someone else over here will have one flying before me..
Nov 16, 2018, 04:04 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
Just managed to get a look in the box to make sure the Mega has survived the trip across the world followed by the British transportation system.

Brilliant packaging which ought to survive most things that carriers could chuck at it and the Mega arrived with no damage at all.

Is it just me or do the components get bigger as you take them out of the box. The wings and tail, in their own bags look amazing, but still in a size that can be understood. The Fuselage when I took it out made both me and my wife laugh, A LOT! It's so big. Just all round HUGE......

What a blast this will be. Back in the box for now while I figure out where I can build it...
Nov 16, 2018, 04:19 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Looks like it's gonna be immense.
Nov 16, 2018, 05:09 PM
You're gonna like it--flies like the 84", only even floatier with the flaps down. Flaps up, lands a little faster. You should probably get around 5.5-6min with 6000mah packs, flying moderately hard. If you just circle-fly it and do touch and go's, maybe 7-8min.

I've got a similar setup--same servos, twin 2700mah rx packs, Futaba 8ch rx. I've tried 12S 5000's: 5minutes. 12S 7400 (2S2P 3700mah packs) gets 6.5 min with some moderately hard flying--couple hovers, rolling circles, long vertical to knife edge spin. Should be easy 7-8 minutes for easy touch and go flying
Nov 16, 2018, 05:35 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
Looks like it's gonna be immense.
Doc. It is IMMENSE! The sheer width and depth of the fuz' is mental. I feel like I could get in and still have room for the family and the kitchen sink....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy
You're gonna like it--flies like the 84", only even floatier with the flaps down. Flaps up, lands a little faster. You should probably get around 5.5-6min with 6000mah packs, flying moderately hard. If you just circle-fly it and do touch and go's, maybe 7-8min.

I've got a similar setup--same servos, twin 2700mah rx packs, Futaba 8ch rx. I've tried 12S 5000's: 5minutes. 12S 7400 (2S2P 3700mah packs) gets 6.5 min with some moderately hard flying--couple hovers, rolling circles, long vertical to knife edge spin. Should be easy 7-8 minutes for easy touch and go flying
Good to know, thanks Cowboy. Can't see me circle flying it for long.....
Nov 17, 2018, 03:50 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
Had to work this morning but made a little time to create a build stand for the TBM. Collapsible so I can put it away and the plane sits on soft webbing so wont get scratched. It will also sit any way up at all making it really easy to work on top or bottom.

I think it looks rather good, even if I do say so myself. Looks right at home.

Having a first real look the plane is awesome quality. Covering is perfect (no idea how they do that!) and there is so much room inside the gear will be lost....
Nov 19, 2018, 11:52 AM
4 more flights on mine yesterday: got my CNHL 5000 70c packs and put 3 flights on with those, and one flight with my 2S2P 7400 pack. These graphene 5000's came down at little better than the borrowed 45C 5000 Pulse packs I borrowed before. The CNHL packs were coming down between 21-28%, whereas the Pulse packs (a little tired, admittedly) were 20% or less. These are still only 5 minute flights. My 7400 bulky setup comes down at 28-30% after 6.5 minutes. I need to cut the vent hole in the bottom of the fuse, because I blew the hatch off twice
Nov 19, 2018, 01:52 PM
Took a day trip to Nashville to fly with some good friends yesterday. Passed around the Tx and let lots of folks get a pull on the Big Bush. Lots of smiles all around!
Nov 19, 2018, 02:42 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy
4 more flights on mine yesterday: got my CNHL 5000 70c packs and put 3 flights on with those, and one flight with my 2S2P 7400 pack. These graphene 5000's came down at little better than the borrowed 45C 5000 Pulse packs I borrowed before. The CNHL packs were coming down between 21-28%, whereas the Pulse packs (a little tired, admittedly) were 20% or less. These are still only 5 minute flights. My 7400 bulky setup comes down at 28-30% after 6.5 minutes. I need to cut the vent hole in the bottom of the fuse, because I blew the hatch off twice
Good info Cowboy, thanks. I have some HRB 6000's to try in mine, when I get round to building it that is!!!!! I did place them on the battery tray but side by side they are a little wide and catch the tongues that support the try so I may have to make a spacer to go below them or I could place them end to end instead. I'll cut out the vent hole before I fly.....

What cooling measures did you do to the cowl compared to the reccomendations for the Gas version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT
Took a day trip to Nashville to fly with some good friends yesterday. Passed around the Tx and let lots of folks get a pull on the Big Bush. Lots of smiles all around!
Looks like fun Chris, and a whole lot warmer than Cowboy's field. Brrrrrrr.... Pretty chilly here today too, down at about 4* C
Nov 19, 2018, 03:54 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
I couldn't put off the excitement any longer. Bit cold in the garage for building so got the left wing out, the bit's bag and some epoxy and sat in my office and did the first bit of the build.

Sanded the hinges and the control horns, mixed a batch of epoxy and fitted the hinges into the wing and the control horns into the surfaces. A nice easy job to get started.
Nov 19, 2018, 04:52 PM
100% electric since 1990
I'm gonna need a bigger truck.
Nov 19, 2018, 05:39 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by twest
I'm gonna need a bigger truck.
I've got a small tipper truck for work so I could use that if I go anywhere. Going to make a trolley to move the plane around and walk it up to my little strip I am so very lucky to have behind my house. It really is just too big to carry around. Makes my 7x planes look tiny.....
Nov 19, 2018, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SW
Good info Cowboy, thanks. I have some HRB 6000's to try in mine, when I get round to building it that is!!!!! I did place them on the battery tray but side by side they are a little wide and catch the tongues that support the try so I may have to make a spacer to go below them or I could place them end to end instead. I'll cut out the vent hole before I fly.....

What cooling measures did you do to the cowl compared to the reccomendations for the Gas version?
I didn't cut the cowl at all--the chin scoop seems to put air over the ESC; haven't checked the motor but it hasn't seemed warm. Once I cut out a vent in the bottom of the fuse, I think the airflow over the esc and batteries will be pretty good. In the 30 degree temps yesterday, the batteries on both sets were just barely warm.

Quick Reply