Nov 15, 2018, 12:45 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
Discussion

Peter Rake build Off 18" Se5a

I kinda started this electric plane stuff because I bought a FSM around 2000 and it had a Peter Rake plan in it. I started building from some of those plans and started collecting plans through FSM.
So although I was going to switch gears and paint for a while I will try a micro model. I have never built one and may have already made a mistake by getting the P 51 park zone motor instead of the smaller vapor engine.
I know Peter was going towards smaller stuff and even rubber free flight.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2018, 01:07 PM
The P-51 motor should be a good fit for the 18" SE5A. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Tim
Nov 15, 2018, 02:29 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
Thank you for the info
Nov 15, 2018, 05:52 PM
Looking more closely at the plans I see that it calls for the Vapor Rx but not the Vapor motor/gearbox. The Vapor uses a 6mm motor, the plans call for a 7mm motor. Your choice of a P-51 8mm motor will be more powerful (and a little more weight) than what the plans call for but I personally think the 18" biplane will be happier with the 8mm motor than the 7mm called for (unless you are going for indoor flying where weight is more critical). It would probably be woefully under-powered with the Vapor 6mm motor.

If you are planning on using a Vapor Rx, does anyone know if its motor output fet can handle the higher current of the P-51 8mm motor? That would be my only real concern.

Tim
Nov 15, 2018, 09:22 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
The rx i am not worried about weight and balance are my concern. I could make it 20" instead of 18 or copy at 110% which is 19.8 ".
Nov 20, 2018, 07:25 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
So what I have is the PKZ 3624 geared motor and a 3 ch Rx/ESC for the night vapor. So I can put lights on it . It is the same battery as the vapor I think so I don't think the extra draw will hurt it, and I can have lights.
I might make it 20" for the extra weight of the motor.
If I am off let me know. All critique welcome.
Nov 21, 2018, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy
I might make it 20" for the extra weight of the motor.
I echo Tim's great advice!

The P-51 motor is definitely the way to go, and it will deftly handle up to around a 22-25" ... but it's not that much heavier that you have to upscale.

One accompanying consideration is the battery - suggest the E-Flite 45C
to get the best performance from the higher current drawing P-51 motor. Will the Vapor brick handle it? I don't know, but it should.

Gene K
Nov 21, 2018, 07:02 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
Thanks for that Gene, all the batteries I have are 25c but if that is short on power I know what to do next.
Dec 02, 2018, 03:25 AM
Clancy
Thread OP
just a quick start
Dec 02, 2018, 07:37 AM
Nice to see you starting to work on the plane, looking forward to seeing your progress.

As for your 25C batteries, you can keep them reasonably lightly loaded by choice of prop. If you pick a prop that is smaller in diameter or (more likely) less pitch than the P-51 that motor was intended for then it will draw less current. The SE-5a doesn't need the speed and power of the P-51 so a less demanding prop would make sense. I prefer to under-prop my small planes, it lets the rpm's go higher, the current goes lower, and I get longer flights out of a smaller battery.

Tim
Dec 02, 2018, 09:07 AM
Hi Clancy,
Looking forward to your build. I have Peter's 18" D 7. I thought the P-51 motor would not be able to handle it but I guess I'm wrong. Good luck with the build!
Ray
Dec 05, 2018, 04:01 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
Tail feathers and bottom wings are done. I never cut a kit, I can only cut as I go. All ribs are made the same then some are modified. Some are 1/32 and some are 1/ 16 of course and it only works with constant cord wings.
Dec 07, 2018, 06:53 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
Well the top wing is simple. Except the middle section. That took a little bit. Then off to the fuselage. The two little pieces that the bottom wings plug into took about a half hour by themselves...
Dec 15, 2018, 03:51 PM
Clancy
Thread OP
I cut out the fuselage forms and set the ones with the center struts as best as i could.

Quick Reply