Nov 14, 2018, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

calling bud nosen 1/4 aeronca champ pilots

want to know what you guys are flying yours with, engine, radio set ups, what you like about the plane, how well it flys, ect I wanna know everything I LOVE THESE just bought mine full scale from Chicago.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2018, 02:07 PM
Hey, good looking Champ. I had one that was almost identical to that one. When I got it, it had a Saito 120S. It had enough power to fly but mine was built heavy. I opted to substitute in a Saito 180 for more power. The 180 spins a two inch larger prop at the same rpm give or take. I really liked the way it flew with the 180. I have been known to overpower models hahaha. The Champ is a gentle flyer and has no bad tendencies. The biggest problem I have seen with people who build this airplane is getting it tail heavy. I sold it to a fellow modeler because I purchased a Byrons Husky. The guy I sold it to put a Saito 120 back into it and felt that it is the perfect power plant. I was surprised that the wing is really strong considering there is no wing spar. I did loops, knife edges, and flat spins. Enjoy it, its a great airplane. Wish more people would build planes from kits.
Nov 27, 2018, 06:46 PM
I've had a kit in box for 30 years.... one of these days....
Nov 27, 2018, 07:47 PM
Had mine a good 10 years ago or so. Flew great with a Quadra 42.
Gas was cheap, power was more than enough, but keep in mind that the Champ is a little short coupled. That means that you want to get your CG just right. If you get it even a little rearward, it will go from airbatic to squirrelly in no time.
By the way, I really like the opening door mod. I'll have to do that next time I build my other one.

I sold mine a while back cuz I guess I was stupid and I got an offer I couldn't refuse.
As far as Nosen kits overall, I've always liked them a lot and still have another NIB Champ, Citabria, and Gere Sport in storage. I've been thinking of doing something with them soon.
Nov 28, 2018, 08:57 AM
My 1/4 Champ is an ARF that was offered by Nitro Models many years ago. Strangely, it does not have the traditional color scheme but has a mixture of blue, white, yellow and black. To complicate things, the stabs were too heavy so replacements made and the color scheme of those got changed up because I didn't have a match for the blue. I think the whole now looks like a circus clown and hence I call it my clown airplane. The replacement stabs did safe a full pound of aircraft weight as they both lightened the tail plane and saved having to add nose weight.

It flies well though. Weight is 14lbs even and it is powered by a Saito 182T converted to gas. It does great looking touch and go's with the tail remaining up and ground tracking superb. It is a very easy plane to land.

The large open area within left it vulnerable to a good bit of fuselage flex and twist and that was countered by adding a good bit of X bracing to bulkheads.

It is a slow lazy flier.
Nov 28, 2018, 02:33 PM
What engine is in there. If that is an Enya 120 you will be just fine.
Nov 26, 2020, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Man
Hey, good looking Champ. I had one that was almost identical to that one. When I got it, it had a Saito 120S. It had enough power to fly but mine was built heavy. I opted to substitute in a Saito 180 for more power. The 180 spins a two inch larger prop at the same rpm give or take. I really liked the way it flew with the 180. I have been known to overpower models hahaha. The Champ is a gentle flyer and has no bad tendencies. The biggest problem I have seen with people who build this airplane is getting it tail heavy. I sold it to a fellow modeler because I purchased a Byrons Husky. The guy I sold it to put a Saito 120 back into it and felt that it is the perfect power plant. I was surprised that the wing is really strong considering there is no wing spar. I did loops, knife edges, and flat spins. Enjoy it, its a great airplane. Wish more people would build planes from kits.

Absolutely sir I agree with everything you said especially more people building from kits absolutely love the aronica champ have also Bud nosen quarter scale P-51 Mustang and have a scratch built quarter scale super cub thank you for your contributions I love reading about people that love building model airplanes have a great day

Sir

David
Sep 10, 2021, 09:17 AM
UC/RC Flyer

Aeronca quarter scale

This post is a several years old, I am building my second Aeronca, right now, my first one was a President from England, I sold it, big mistake, ordered a Nosen 40, it was out of stock, so they sent me the 1/4 scale. A few days later I was at the ?Hobby consignment shop, and I bought another President, full kit with a Fiberglas cowl, the Nosen kit must have been one of the last ones they built, a month later a club member tried to order one, and the number was disconnected. In Iowa I think. I own a real champ mid production, so My Champ Kits got stored. Until a months ago. I pulled the plans and started studying the process of assembly. Pretty much like the English President, as I remember. That center section is mostly made of plywood and handles the wing tube attach assembly, the wings slide into and are secured thru the struts, which support the wing, they must be really strong and well built. Iíve seen You Tube wing failures on the quarter scale Champ, my President flew great and I also fly the 15E ARF Champ, with the scale landing gear. Great ARF after you repair all the noted weak areas.
Sep 11, 2021, 12:01 PM
UC/RC Flyer

AA Industries

Well I finished the Horizontal and Elevators, need to add some gussets. Started the Right wing none of the parts are identified on the wing , really paying close attention to the blue print. Spruce is good stuff, going to use the Ailerons, I donít have a lot of support to keep the ribs straight during assembly, looking at boxing the front and rear spar, I know it will add weight, planning on using thin 16th ply, , started with the ply ribs first, the aluminum tubes are really short, kinda rethinking this wing design, several have failed, found more shortages in the kit, so itís not complete, missing enough aluminum tubes, according to the plan, the tubes should be long enough to clear all four wing ribs. The design could really see some improvements, was all this a cost saving measure?
Sep 24, 2021, 03:13 PM
UC/RC Flyer

AA Industries

Still working on the wings, decided to order the struts from Balsa USA they are not spruce, bass wood, the lady felt they were stronger but a little heavier than the Spruce. I ended up boxing in the front spar, and the rear spar where the rear strut attaches, also the Jury struts, attach I boxed in the rear spar. The attach points on the fuselage I will have to work on, they attach to the Sorensen scale gear. Very similar to the real Champ. I now understand how the wing attaches to the center section, thru the wood dowels into the aluminum tubes. They have a box on the plan, with four long screws. Iíve some walnut that just might work better better and be stronger. Looks like I will have to make up my own extension cables for the Aileron servos.
Sep 24, 2021, 09:43 PM
Arthur, there were versions of the wings that did not use the wood dowels. there were aluminum tubes in the wings that slid int the center section tubes. then pinned through the top. I have seen snapped off dowels in the past. probably from handling/storage. creates a real issue off repairing wood dowels. thought would share if not too far along.
Sep 27, 2021, 06:15 PM
UC/RC Flyer

AA Industries

Hi Ragwing! I have been looking for smaller aluminum tubes but I think Iíve got the wood dowel issued thought out, using pins and not gluing in the dowel material. That way if one gets cracked or broken, I just remove it and install a new dowel. The struts really play-an important role in the wing assembly. Iíve already cut the walnut and drilled the blocks for the right wing, did the wingtip today, what a train wreck that was, I had to redesign the tip rib and reinforce the outside Aileron Bay rib. For it to work, itís drying right now, I will start sanding and trimming tomorrow to see how it works out. Thanks for the post, just canít find the aluminum I need.
Oct 07, 2021, 03:25 PM
UC/RC Flyer
My local hobby shop closed for good, after 40 years, started the left wing on the AA, did find the spruce spar material that was not in the kit, a wing that large needs the forward spar boxed in, and a scale strut assembly installed. I am looking for some Kevlar tubes for the wing, the dowel wood is what is offered but, I am looking for a suitable replacement. After I get the wings built I will build the center section, another failure in the design, after a wing departed-the fuselage, pulled the cabin supports in four locations. These cabin attach points were only about four inches apart. Instead of four points, I will also attach aft of the rear spar. The plane that failed used nylon screws, the plan calls out metal screws maybe in 10/32, in four locations. The Engine is secured in 1/4-20, call out a single cylinder 60 glow. I will use my old OS 120 four cycle twin, should be plenty of power. With a glow driver. Back to my Aileron control. Ordered Dubro large hinges, and I already have the S 128 Futaba servos, they are old but, reliable so far. My radio is 72: but I also have a 2.4 my old Kraft and a DX-6 Spectrum. I want to be able to Change out the airborne pack from 72: to 2.4 by just opening up the door. Using the throttle control servo. I haven’t figured out the glow driver from 72, to 2.4 I guess I could go with a mini switch, controlled by a servo using the landing gear switch. On both the 2.4 and the 72. Please don’t ask why I am doing this, because it makes no sense at all.
Oct 09, 2021, 02:10 PM
UC/RC Flyer
Well I started the center section. The plan calls for a 3/32 Balsa wood bottom. I changed that up and went with a plywood bottom instead 3/32 ply. Really a little difference in weight, heavier, but securing the center section with the metal machine screws would be a lot better, than crushing the Balsa. And installing centering blocks. Still looking for some Kevlar the E15 Kevlar is perfect, been surfing the inner net for a supplier or parts. But the 15E parts are unobtainable. Thinking they used the same Kevlar tube on different models. Really hard to find a parts break down. I need 4 tubes for the assembly.

Quick Reply