Nov 13, 2018, 10:46 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

CAP 2019 (was OZNoP 2018) Wicko Wizard

The fall contest season has ended (for me at least) so it's time to get building. This will be the build thread for the Foster Wickner Wicko GM-1, Outerzone plan OZ10066 https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10066 as part of the OuterZone No-Picture 2018 builds.

The Wicko was a two-seat side-by-side high wing cabin monoplane built in the late 1930s in England. A small number were built prior to WWII, several of these were impressed into RAF service as the Warferry. One airframe survives, this was restored and placed first at the 2007 Goodwood revival meeting. There's a nice site for this airplane at:
http://www.wicko.com/

I'm going to build it basically per the plan for rubber-powered free flight, with an eye towards flying it in Golden Age Monoplane and Simplified Scale at Flying Aces Club meets. It looks like a good subject - decent tail volume (.69), big enough to fly well at 26-3/4" span without being a monster, a long enough nose to get about 10" hook-peg with enough fuselage volume to give the motor room to move around without binding on the structure. Wings will be removeable for transport. I'll probably laminate the fin, stab and wingtip outlines rather than assembling sheet parts per the plan.

Plans are printed and I'm ready to dive in. Should be a fun build!

Mike
Last edited by MKellyvich; Jan 08, 2019 at 09:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2018, 04:51 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Subscribed
Nov 15, 2018, 07:05 AM
What a lovely choice!
And wicko.com has great pics and info.
Best wishes.
Nov 16, 2018, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
After spending a day noodling over the plan I got started today with the fuselage frames. To keep the motor roughly centered I moved the peg mount forward two bays, and I replaced the stab slot with a brace to take a mounting tube (the stab will be adjustable). You can see the revised structure in red.

I like to build the frames from the top down, both frames at the same time. The upper and lower longerons were wetted prior to installation to help them hold shape. I also added gussets at the front end and on either side of the landing gear brace.

Feels good to get this build moving!

Mike
Nov 17, 2018, 09:59 PM
Thread OP
Let the frames sit overnight, then pulled them up, trimmed the ends and sanded them flat. Separated them with a razor blade, cut some crosspieces and glued the constant-width center section with blocks to help keep things straight. The only flat spot on the fuselage frame is the wing saddle, so the fuselage gets assembled upside down.

There is some weirdness on the plan - there's no uprights where the fuselage sides start to taper in aft of the cockpit, or under the LE of the wing where the fuselage starts to taper forward. I'm going to watch the middle longeron closely to see if it's forcing the fuselage out of square as the frames get pulled in to the nose and tail. I don't like to add lots of structure to a build, but I'm considering some uprights inside the frames at these two points.

Mike
Nov 18, 2018, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
Got the crossmembers installed in the aft fuselage this morning. The bend in the aft fuselage side frames is pretty gradual and didn't appear to distort the uprights at all. At the front end a quick test bend showed the center longeron pulling the uprights in when the forward frames were bent to meet the nose, so I glued a 3/32" square upright from top to bottom on each side inside the frames. I'll reinforce this with a temporary horizontal brace between the two sides at the center longeron when I assemble the nose.

Mike
Nov 24, 2018, 12:04 AM
Now I have to land that thing?
Good jump on progress, Mike - keep it going...
Nov 25, 2018, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
Thanks PG. Lots of family time and projects around the house this week, got back to work on the Wicko tonight. Brought together the nose section - this was a little challenging since the fuselage sides taper in towards the bottom approaching the nose. The magnet board makes aligning everything a bit easier...

I did end up putting vertical braces inside the uprights just aft of the wing, as the center longeron pulled in a bit when the aft fuselage sides were brought together. I made a temporary former to keep the fuselage square as the braces dried - I'll pop it out once the nose section has cured.

Mike
Nov 28, 2018, 11:16 PM
Thread OP
After much looking over the pictures on the Wicko.com site I decided the plan's former at the aft end of the cowl wasn't right. As the cowl transitions aft towards the windscreen and instrument panel it goes from rounded to more of a peaked section, so I trimmed the former to give that effect. With that done I made a paper template for the cowl sheeting.

When discussing the plan with a friend at the Texas Scale Champs earlier this month he commented that all the stringers under the cowl sheeting would catch any bunches of rubber knots, and recommended eliminating the stringers and using thicker sheet over the cowl. I cut some flexible 1/16" sheet using the template, soaked it for a couple hours, then wrapped it over the cowl and used rubber bands to hold it in place while drying. Once dry I reinforced the aft former with a couple of 1/16" square braces, then cut side sheeting per the plan and glued that in. While that dried I layered up the noseblock.

Tonight I block-sanded the nose roughly to shape, tomorrow will be some quality time shaping and smoothing the contours.
Nov 29, 2018, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
Added a bit of sheeting on the lower fuselage, then started sanding in the curves and profile. Still have to cut in the vents, then it'll get a coat of sanding sealer and final sanding with filling as required.
Nov 30, 2018, 03:25 AM
That is looking delightful, love the shape of the front end.
Nov 30, 2018, 11:13 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Sundancer - I think shaping may be my favorite part of building. That said, I took a break from the fuselage today and laminated the fin and stab outlines.

Mike
Dec 01, 2018, 02:14 AM
Ah, now youare on to one of my favourite parts of a build - I just love laminating!
Dec 03, 2018, 12:02 AM
Thread OP
While the laminations dried I cut and glued up the blanks for the wheels and pants. I used 1/4" balsa for the pants rather than 1/8" as spec'd on the plans - saves a bit of cutting and a bit of glue weight. For the wheels I used some harder 3/32" for the inner two layers and 1/4" for the outer layers to gain a little clearance between the wheels and the inner walls of the pants.

Tonight I took the laminations out of the frames and built the stab. I don't want a lifting stab, so rather than the ribs shown on the plans I built the core of the stab with stock stripped from light 3/32" sheet, then put light 1/32" sheet capstrips over the ribs (Earl Stahl style). I rolled some bond paper tubes over a carbon rod and glued them behind the LE and spar. After the stab gets capstrips on the bottom side and has been sanded to a symmetrical airfoil I'll cut the two halves apart and they'll get mounted on the model using the carbon rods. The aft rod will be a pivot point, and the forward rod will be linked to an 00-80 jackscrew so the stab angle can be adjusted during trimming.

Mike
Dec 07, 2018, 09:22 AM
Thread OP
Been a busy week with scouts and jury duty, but I made some progress. Framed up the fin and laminated the wingtips, then got the fin and stab sanded down. Weight for the tail group is about 1.9g - the fin is pretty light (.5g) but the stab is a little heavy, mostly due to the paper tubes. Some of that weight will come out when the stab halves are cut apart and the center section discarded, but the stab mount will offset any savings there.

Mike

Quick Reply