This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 13, 2018, 07:10 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Take a deep breath, stand back...

...and revisit a damaged model at a later date. Works every time.

After doing precisely that regarding the damaged little Harbor Freight P-51, the damage isn't all that bad. The canopy suffered a couple of wrinkles and the underside of the cowl area is little more than a "scraped chin," easily repaired. I thought for sure that I had destroyed the model. It hit asphalt, but I might have been able to pull back the elevator far enough to avoid little bits of EPO scattered all over.

Instead, I do believe I can fix it.

First things first and that will be the removal of the wing spar and restoring the dihedral. Once I attach a new prop and collet, I'll try again.

I was going to take it apart last night and now I'm glad I didn't.

As for the crash damaged homebuilt "Sparrow," I'm told that I should have it back by Saturday, repaired and with additional rudder area. I also have a bit more info on the glider in the photo below.

It was built by a gentleman named Arlo Larson, an engineer whose most recent work includes the development of both fiberglass and carbon fiber blades for wind turbines. My friend Buzz who gave it to me never flew it; he saw it cleaned up and flown for the first time this past Saturday. I solved the sticky folding prop blade problem easily enough by hogging out the mounting holes with a hobby knife.

I also have two gliders by Mr. Larson, one of which is an incomplete "Bird of Time." I can say with confidence that Mr. Larson is a top notch builder! A canopy for that multicolored model is being whittled out by Buzz.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Nov 13, 2018 at 08:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply