Dec 17, 2019, 10:50 PM
Plane arrived today!!
Pretty big box.
Checked parts and everything looks good.
Quite impressed with how the flaps are set up....3 piece each side, but powered with one servo. No bellcranks.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it started this weekend.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2019, 08:33 AM
Nice ! can't wait to see how this progresses. Any pics from the "unboxing"..

That's a nice Christmas present
Dec 18, 2019, 08:47 AM
Didn't take any pics, sorry. Was mostly to check all parts and then put back in box for safe keeping.
We have cats that love boxes.

I can get some this weekend.

Current plan is using 2x 10s 290kv motors spinning 18x12 props. We'll see how well the batteries fit under the hatch on top
Dec 18, 2019, 10:02 AM
No worries, wondered how it looks in real life compared to the photos on VQ site. I hear ya on the cat thing, our dog would ignore the box and go for the plane ha.

Sounds like that power set up will be more than adequate. What was the expected weight .. 25 lbs?
Dec 18, 2019, 10:19 AM
Box says 24-26 pounds...but.....those weights usually are under represented on virtually all manufacturer listings.
My guess is 28 auw. I have an ESM 95" B25 that weighed 32.5 pounds that hadc150 saito glow motors.
I converted it to electric and it ended up gaining weight to over 34 pounds with only one battery per motor....38 pounds with 2 Batts per motor. Ended up shelving it cuz it was just too heavy.
Dec 23, 2019, 12:01 AM
A few pictures...
Flaps are already installed, hinged, and linked out of the box
Dec 23, 2019, 12:02 AM
Nose gear cavity and gear door...

Bomb Bay area and bay doors 2nd pic
Dec 23, 2019, 12:16 AM
Top hatch access

Battery bay for electric or other use if fuel
Dec 23, 2019, 07:51 PM
Looks good. Huge tray area, wow.
Dec 23, 2019, 09:53 PM
There is a plastic/fiber tube in the middle of the tray for the aluminum wing tube
Dec 24, 2019, 08:42 PM
For the rudders, two Hs-225 size servos are needed. The digital hs5245mg will fit also.
Corona ds329mg will also fit.

You will also need two for the main gear doors...one per nacelle.

I will need to check size for the nose gear door.

Ailerons, flaps and elevator take standard size. 5 total

Bomb Bay doors seems to want an hs75bb retract servo
Dec 29, 2019, 03:01 AM
Update.....
The retracts that are made to fit this plane are from JP Hobby. In the product photos listed on VQwarbirds (and other distributors), the controller is JP Hobby v1b er150.
This controller is designed to be powered by a 2s lipo.
This means that the servos operating the gear doors need to be High Voltage.....

However, the controller can be run on 6v from what I understand, it'll just take a smidge longer for the retract cycle.

An alternative would be to run a 2 cell LiFE pack that is 6.6v.
Normal 6v servos should run fine on that.
Another option if you don't want to buy high voltage servos for the gear doors would be to acquire inline voltage regulators
Dec 29, 2019, 03:02 AM
Manual for JP Hobby controller.
Jan 04, 2020, 05:14 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Very cool Kat congrats on the purchase !
From your past models I bet this one with end up with lighter wing loading then the ESM version. I was looking at the Giant scale Zero from Phoniex and it also has lighter wing loading then the other models in the same class !
Kat are you going to add any pilots to the model ?
Subscribed !
Jan 04, 2020, 10:37 AM
The kit actually comes with 3 full figure pilot crew and two top torse bust crew. I was rather surprised. The full pilots/front gunners are painted already, but kinda cheesey so will do a bit to spruce them up.

Yes the plane is far lighter and since it's being built ahead of time as electric, the balance should be far easier to achieve. My plan is to put one set of 10s batteries in the top hatch area and one set in the bomb bay..

Quick Reply