This thread is privately moderated by VicT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 12, 2018, 05:47 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Notes on Paul Natonís 31 minute Radian video

Paul did an excellent job pointing out the OLD Radianís shortcomings with incidence and weak structure. After fixing those issues he improved performance with removing slop at the servo output arms and flight control horns. I think the new stab and incidence has been solved but the same long servo arms and horns are used with Z bend slop. I have used CA and baking soda to make a rock hard CA joint and will try this on the nylon Night Radian holes. I usually make a drill out of the pushrod wire I am using. That way there is no slop at either hole.
Using clear tape over the wing protects and strengthens the wing with only 1-2 ounces of added weight. The CG of 91.4 suits Paulís Radian and can be a target for anyone that has questions of their Radianís CG.

Iíve compared both the old and Night wings and except for the fuselage ends and lights they are pretty much equal. The flaperons are the best part of the video. Those that know the value of flaperons will appreciate his flaperon design. Those that do not will say you dont need flaperons.

Paul has 2 inch wide flaperons that are bottom hinged. Most will use simple tape but with Z bend hinges from Tyvek or double sided tape you will have a much stronger hinge. I have a mockup on an old wing panel and will use Robert hinges to see if hinging can be made quicker and easier.
Paul starts the flap about 2 inches away from the fuselage and the flaperon is 23 inches long. He says that 18 inches long may be enough. He shows that the last 6 inches of flaperon can not be hinged because of the curved trailing edge. Using an 18Ē long flap would avoid this hinge problem. Graupner gap tape is used but this may be hard to find so Paul recommends 6 mil drafting Mylar. I have found this hard to get but have some and have used it. I use double sided rug tape to secure it to the wing and let the untaped section cover the gap by 1/8 inch when the flap is fully extended. Paul shows the landing flaps at 45 degrees but in another section he says the flaps can go down to 70 degrees.
I will use as much of the trailing edge as a flaperon and use the segmented flap design with a trailing edge coupler to solve the curved trailing edge hinge limitation. My old prototype panel starts the flaperon 1/4 inch away from the fuselage joint and goes out 15.25 inches where I have installed a trailing edge coupler. Itís a CF rod with a tube that allows the inner and outer flap to be joined and move together. The outer flap is 9 1/8 inch long for a total length of over 24 inches. Paul uses a 2 ď wide flap and I will use a 2.25Ē wide flap.

I may try putting a better elevator servo back in the fuselage to avoid the long elevator pushrod and to use tail weight to get CG back. I have not taped my wing or fuse and my CG with 1300 3S is at 80 mm aft. I will try a Thunder Power 850 pack to see how a further aft CG behaves. I only use SAFE Off for aerobatics so SAFE On usually takes care of porpoising with an aft CG.

My flying buddy taped his fuselage but put a small 2200 3S in the fuse. I think they balance out. I did the Joe Wurts dive CG test and she neither pitched up or tucked under. So his CG is right on. Iíll have to measure it to see what it is.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply