Dec 04, 2018, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo II
Hey buddy! Nice to see that you are still at it. Nice build. Hope to see you next season back in classic land!

Robert
Hi Robert
For sure Ill be back, looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Scott
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2018, 05:15 PM
Thread OP
A little more progress.
I shortened the wing tips a bit to better match the stab tips then rough sanded close to finish shape.
With that done I temp hinged the rudder and sanded it to a sharp taper.

I was thinking Id better start tracking the balance so I dropped a battery pack in and checked c/g. I figured its going to be a little tail heavy, it is. Now I got to try and keep it manageable as I add components.
Dec 07, 2018, 06:05 PM
Slopin Eh!
That's the best looking "Runt" I've seen. Nicely done!
Dec 08, 2018, 06:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius80
That's the best looking "Runt" I've seen. Nicely done!
Thank you sirius80, that made my day!
Dec 22, 2018, 10:27 AM
Very, very impressing, Scott! I really enjoy the quality with which you build, at a pretty sturdy pace .

I like the sleek looks of your RR... somehow mine became a little more beefed up in the end.
Dec 23, 2018, 06:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_laermans
Very, very impressing, Scott! I really enjoy the quality with which you build, at a pretty sturdy pace .

I like the sleek looks of your RR... somehow mine became a little more beefed up in the end.
Thank you Eric.

My pace kind of stalled out the last couple of weeks, but Im about ready to install aileron servos. Meanwhile Im trying to decide between a simple push pull or pull pull rudder setup.
Dec 24, 2018, 08:55 AM
@Scott... for slope-soaring I would go for a pretty rigid rudder steering (push-pull?).
Jan 13, 2019, 11:15 PM
Thread OP
Okay, back at it!
So much for a New Years maiden, oh well.
Got the elevator and rudder servos installed today. After fussing with it I decided to build a pull pull rudder thinking I could save some weight and not have a bulky push rod running outside the thin tail section.

A quick weight check with most of the components placed in their approximate locations and lead to balance puts it at 18 oz. Not bad, Ill be happy if when Im finished its somewhere in the low 20s.
Jan 14, 2019, 10:08 AM
I was cleaning up my magazine collection yesterday, and in it I found a photo of some Torrey Pines action. The one that really caught my eye was the Pipsqueak by Bob Simons, a pod-and-boom style with 3' span.

I've always enjoyed slopers, and would love to get back into it, but IL isn't known for hills like NW NJ is.

Andy
Apr 24, 2019, 10:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I was cleaning up my magazine collection yesterday, and in it I found a photo of some Torrey Pines action. The one that really caught my eye was the Pipsqueak by Bob Simons, a pod-and-boom style with 3' span.

I've always enjoyed slopers, and would love to get back into it, but IL isn't known for hills like NW NJ is.

Andy
When I was a kid l lived in Mundelien IL and yes it was pretty flat there. If I still lived there I think Id be way more into thermal soaring than I am now.
Being a slope addict and as long as Torrey is available to fly at, slope is all I really build gliders for. Would be a bummer if I couldnt get my fix now and then!

Scott
Apr 24, 2019, 10:52 PM
Thread OP
Its been awhile but I got some work done. Aileron servo install complete and added cap strips to the ribs.

Slowly moving along.

Scott
Apr 27, 2019, 10:30 AM
I have one.... fuse (only) still uncovered.
Never really liked the appearance of the thing... so I lost interest early on... albeit 40+ yrs ago
Didn't like how the nose was a like a Jelly bean and how the fuse dropped away at the wing trailing edge.
T tail, while not the most elegant setup didn't annoy as much.
Did reshape the nose .. some.. to make it lower and hopefully a bit sleeker.

Hmmm.. yours is looking Nothing like a R Runt (except for the behind the TE fuse bit :-)
I like it all though. Lotsa nice improvements there... Well done

Problem being I would have to uncover and do some significant work to do something similar... Tempting.
How thick is your fuse redo ?
Last edited by Bare; Apr 27, 2019 at 10:35 AM.
Apr 27, 2019, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Bare.

At the widest section it’s 1.5”outside, about 1” inside.
This was the minimum for the rx and battery I wanted to use.

It was kinda silly to start with this kit as it’s really a scratch build/bash gone to far.
Because I have a soft spot for the RR and I had the kit, I just went with the inspiration.
This is a fun creative outlet for me and I have a hard time building any kit without changing everything.
I keep telling myself the next one I’ll start with a blank sheet of paper.

As for your RR, I’d use it as is, build a wing as you wish, mod as desired.
Have fun with it, it’s very rewarding!
I still have my second scratchy, it’s old and pretty basic but I will never part with it.

Scott
Last edited by VCscott; Apr 27, 2019 at 05:24 PM.
Apr 29, 2019, 10:29 AM
Thank you.. Decent advise.
Will try and listen to it . But I too ... can't leave well enough alone.
May 05, 2019, 12:20 AM
Thread OP
More progress, skipped yard work today.
Got the cables sorted out.
Next, make up some control horns.
Getting the itch to fly it now.

Quick Reply