Dec 30, 2004, 09:59 PM
Thread OP

17.5 oz. Wing Load

Can anyone give me some advice as to what my Mig 17 will fly like with a 17.5 oz. per sq. ft. of wing loading? Any Help is most appreciative. Thanks. Dennis
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2004, 10:01 PM
depends on the power loading and the total AUW
Dec 30, 2004, 10:06 PM
My Kyosho T33 has a wing loading of 18.7 oz/sq.ft. Easy hand launch, flies very nice. But the T33 has a nice, flat bottom, lots-of-lift-at-low speed Clark "Y" air foil.
Dec 30, 2004, 11:23 PM
Australian in the USA
Just to give you an idea.....

i have a b-25 with a 21oz loading, it runs two brushless motors at about 250watts at lunch, and i could JUST make it in to the air with a 10mhr wind!

So i install flaps, and i can lunch without a problem now everytime, it climes away at +30degrees
Last edited by Paranoia; Dec 30, 2004 at 11:28 PM.
Dec 31, 2004, 12:01 AM
Thread OP

MIg 17

Thank you for all your responses. My Mig is running a Vasa fan with a 300 ballbearing motor & lipo set up (7.4 1500mah). The all up weight is 10.3 ozs. I am using a scale plan form of the wing. I am hoping that it will not fly like a rocket, but I am prepared. Peace. Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia
Just to give you an idea.....

i have a b-25 with a 21oz loading, it runs two brushless motors at about 250watts at lunch, and i could JUST make it in to the air with a 10mhr wind!

So i install flaps, and i can lunch without a problem now everytime, it climes away at +30degrees
Dec 31, 2004, 12:19 AM
EDF rules... :)
Is the wing double surface or undercambered?

Eric B.
Dec 31, 2004, 02:06 AM
Thread OP

Mig Wing

Eric, the Mig wing is double surface. It is 1mm depron over an airfoil and rib. Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX
Is the wing double surface or undercambered?

Eric B.
Dec 31, 2004, 07:52 AM
lite wing loading, lite power loading, should fly very well, not a rocket, maiden on a low wind day. Low weight and low overall power will limit the kinetic energy so not a lot of vertical lines or zooming climbs. Can you attach a pic?
Dec 31, 2004, 10:33 AM
EDF rules... :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmerino
Eric, the Mig wing is double surface. It is 1mm depron over an airfoil and rib. Dennis
Just curious Dennis because I did not get to follow the complete construction.

Eric B.
Dec 31, 2004, 02:45 PM
Thread OP

Thanks, Dave

Thanks for your input. I am attaching a pic of where the Mig stands at the moment. I do have a Thread in the Jet Forum of Ezone called "Mig 17 paper model to 1mm depron. Peace and have a Happy New Year. Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave morris
lite wing loading, lite power loading, should fly very well, not a rocket, maiden on a low wind day. Low weight and low overall power will limit the kinetic energy so not a lot of vertical lines or zooming climbs. Can you attach a pic?
Dec 31, 2004, 11:01 PM
Thread OP

T33

Thanks for the info. on your T33 Larry. My wing is a complete airfoil. It is somewhat scale in cross section. I expect it to be a little on the fast side. In doing the calcs. on the wing, it shows it will have a tendency to tip stall pretty easy at slow speed. I am going to fly it with these wings, but I will be able to re-do the wings to a larger plan form if these do not work out. I won't do any detailing until I can get her flying. Peace. Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Dudeck
My Kyosho T33 has a wing loading of 18.7 oz/sq.ft. Easy hand launch, flies very nice. But the T33 has a nice, flat bottom, lots-of-lift-at-low speed Clark "Y" air foil.
Dec 31, 2004, 11:05 PM
Thread OP

Mig 17 construction

Thanks for your input Eric. You can go into the Jets Forum and look under "Mig 17 paper to 1mm depron". This will give you more information on this build. Peace and Happy New Year. Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX
Just curious Dennis because I did not get to follow the complete construction.

Eric B.

Quick Reply