Aug 15, 2019, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markku Savolaine
Hi
I have a new Plus X. I would like to know how You have done the wires between fuselange and wing. What kind of plug You use there ? A picture would be nice. I have Jeti R9 EX receiver.
Hi Markku,

I did it the traditional way, put the receiver in pod and use 2 MPX connectors to connect wing servos, works good.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2019, 10:42 AM
Hi
Thank You for adwises. I made in my Plus X wires connection between wing and fuselage with Graupner 6 pin plug. Receiwer Jeti R9 EX wihout covers. It seems work well.
Oct 31, 2019, 10:58 PM

Plus X Windy

Just flew Plus X Windy, really strong and beautiful plan, and have good feeling in strong wind. Need to practics better control rudder .
Last edited by Thomas Wang; Oct 31, 2019 at 11:17 PM.
Jan 10, 2020, 07:42 AM
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the pictures. I will be setting up a new PlusX on a Multiplex M-link system like yours soon and hope to do it like you have - fuselage mounted RX and whiskers out each side.

How did you set up MPX for 6 wing servos? I am thinking of keeping the AILERON+ mixer assigned to servos 1 & 5 for the tip ailerons, the FLAP+ mixer assigned to servos 6&7 for the middle flaperon/ailerons (so that the AIL DIFF function works on both), adding a new mixer (copy of Flap+) called BRAKES+ assigned to servos 8&9 for the central flaps.( Not sure if the AIL DIFF function will recognize the new mixer, but don't think it matters as JW appears to exclude diff on the inner flaps.(That is my understanding of his early post on this thread)

Does that sound similar to your setup and is it that simple? I also hope to use a standard RX-9-DR receiver (35mm wide) - I see you used the compact - hope this does not mean the standard RX does not fit?

Thanks in advance.
Jan 23, 2020, 06:25 AM

Fuse pod dimensions

Would be grateful if some kindhearted PlusX owner would give me the dimensions A, B, C and D on the attached sketch for the fuselage pod. (Hoping to make up the motor & wiring loom whilst I wait for delivery). Many thanks
Jan 23, 2020, 04:01 PM
Hugh Blackburn
You should be aware that VM have recently changed how the wiring goes up to the cavity in the wing. It’s now a bit more like the Plus Pro. The hole is now near the wing LE and there’s a trench leading back behind the wing mount bolt. I’ve posted an image below. Works great if you use SBUS and a 3-channel decoder for the fuse servos and ESC (and of course - put the RX in the wing cavity). And the dimensions... I'll do that later!

Being lazy - I should think you can get enough info to do your wiring by scaling from the drawings here at VM:

http://f3j.in.ua/plus-x.html?#tab6
Last edited by floquet; Jan 23, 2020 at 06:12 PM.
Jan 24, 2020, 02:19 AM
Many thanks indeed Hugh
Jan 24, 2020, 11:35 PM
Hugh Blackburn
Below is how the connection works (all the - maybe hard to see - black electrical tape on the wing saddle is there to aid load transmission in shear between the wing and fuselage).

And a shot of a tip-section mini-Deans connector potted into the wing centre-panel - this is quite easy to do and saves a lot of fiddling with connectors (this shows a centre section from a regular layup PlusX - no ballast tube...)

And finally a shot of the AUW and CG for a PlusX-5 Storm layup. Hardware: Powerline 1025 4s turbo, Castle Talon 60 ESC, Tattu 4s 650.
Last edited by floquet; Jan 25, 2020 at 12:22 AM.
Jan 25, 2020, 06:33 AM
Thanks Hugh - very helpful information.

Hope I am correct in understanding the tape on the wing saddle - this makes a much tighter joint when the wing bolts are tightened so the dissipation of shear forces on landing impact is assisted by friction between wing undersurface and wing saddle?

Also with the 4 pin Deans, do you carry the pos & neg wires from both wing tip servos all the way back to it, or run a single of each and tee off to the aileron servo after reaching the flaperon servo?

Many thanks for your help
Kind regards
Neil
Jan 26, 2020, 12:54 AM
Hugh Blackburn
Hi Neil.

1. Yes. I actually had the rear bolt pull sideways thru the lower skin on another plane after an ill-judged landing. Fortunately it did almost no damage to the upper surface. It was easy enough to do a good repair but I thought a bit of friction would be good insurance.

2. The tip wiring and male Deans connector was supplied epoxied in place, but I think it was the first option. You could do it either way if you installed it yourself.
Jan 26, 2020, 01:24 AM
Hugh Blackburn
And here's one more suggestion. The tip KST08 servo IDS frames were pre-installed with the smallest radius splined connector (the one on the right in the image) already in place. I thought the resulting aileron throws were marginal (but, to be honest, probably can be made to work OK) so I replaced what was supplied with the next largest radius connector (the one on the left in the image - I think the hole is at 4.5mm radius from the servo axis). VM will send the spares along so the parts are available even if you asked for pre-installed frames. These larger radius connectors will scrape a tiny bit more foam away but will not interfere with the upper wing skins. You have to cut a slot (as shown) in the connector to get the wire pushrod in, but that's easy enough.

Doing this has the side effect of making the installation all a bit less stiff of course but it still seems plenty stiff enough. Then you get enough aileron throw for any eventuality, no problem.

You will find that it pays to make sure all the splined connectors are a reasonable push fit on the servo splines by taking them out of the wings and pushing them on and off the servo splines a few times before you go to install the servos (otherwise you will find it next to impossible to get the servos in, anyhow). Maybe use some light oil, soapy water or saliva as lubricant. If you overdo the push fitting stuff and create some slop, it can be subsequently fixed with epoxy, but using some care in the first place is obviously a better option.
Jan 26, 2020, 01:42 PM
Thanks Hugh - very helpful information
Jan 27, 2020, 04:14 AM
Glasson Master
Thank you for sharing this Hugh.
Did you add the tape on the wing leading edge or does the Strom version come with it?
Jan 27, 2020, 04:19 AM
Hugh Blackburn
I added it. Not sure LE tape is a great idea aerodynamically... does help you see your plane, sometimes.
Jan 27, 2020, 05:46 AM
Hugh Blackburn
While I remember: the VM-supplied wiring for the outer flaperon servos came with (is this really the right sex?) male JR/Futaba connectors/plugs pre-soldered onto the end of the wiring. Nice touch, except it's not gonna leave you a lot of room for servo wires, unless you're prepared to cut them down and re-terminate them in order to get rid of some excess wiring (and do you want to have to do that again on the field if you need to replace a servo? No.). I ended up cutting the VM-supplied plugs off and soldering on short connectors cut from circuit board header, much like what is shown in these images from Oleg's Volo build:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=203
Last edited by floquet; Jan 27, 2020 at 05:53 AM.

Quick Reply