This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 11, 2018, 06:12 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Discussion

Troubleshooting Electric Power System - GEN2 GWS pico TIGER MOTH

Guys,

After several months, perhaps one solid year, I finally convinced my buddy to let me help him with his 2nd GEN pico Tiger Moth that he bought on-line when these were still available.

It is interesting that at times we get distracted or just too busy with Life's other demands and we happen to miss things that make Electric Flight not possible after selecting one's Power System.

Fortunately, my buddy selected a budget CD type Brushless Bell type of motor and most importantly the E-Flite 10-AMP ESC that has programming instructions up On-Line and so, I downloaded the manual for the ESC from:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFLA1010_manual.pdf

First off, the Orange Receiver he was using was found to be defective because there was no movement from the servos whatsoever and I made sure that polarity hook-ups of the wires were okay. The motor was being armed but, it was obvious that the motor's "TIMING" was OFF from specifications and ESC re-programming was required.

Took OUT that Orange Receiver and placed one Spektrum AR8000 + Sat receiver and BOOM, the servos began to work! However, Motor was not working well still so,......

Turn everything OFF and went into programming mode and used the instructions within the Horizon Hobby E-Flite 10-AMP ESC manual and wrote down what I had to do to bring ALL parameters within the required settings so, things work and sure enough the motor started to work perfectly.

Items that were brought back to limits were having the correct Voltage Cut-Off for 2S (2-Cell Lithium Polymer) battery use and of course the Motor Timing for higher Pole (Outrunner) type of motor selection.

I can't say enough that Brushless ESC's need to be checked and re-checked for Proper Programming when you finalize your Selection of Motor type and use of how many Cells you are going to use with the final power system selection.

A few pictures of my madness............
Last edited by PittSpecial; Nov 11, 2018 at 06:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2018, 06:58 AM
Jungmeister 55
amazing work!!!..best troubleshooter at RCGROUPS skybro!!

Quick Reply