Nov 10, 2018, 04:44 PM
Thread OP
Idea

can the flite test foam sheet models be fuel proofed?

As shown in the vids topic its is possible to fly some of the flite test kits on glow.
Biggest question is if the waterproof foam is already fuel proof or needs additional fuel proofing.
If so what would be best?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2018, 05:50 PM
Water based Polyurethane is fuel proof and won't attack the foam,it also makes cleaning of oil easy.
Nov 10, 2018, 08:08 PM
As pointless digression WPU .. Ain't Urethane at all !
Merely a high solids Acrylic varnish...an imposter.. product..
That said it fits our needs, despite the misleading advertising/namings.
Nov 10, 2018, 08:28 PM
So now we have "Fake urethane" too...........................what this world is coming to
Nov 10, 2018, 09:00 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
As pointless digression WPU .. Ain't Urethane at all !
Merely a high solids Acrylic varnish...an imposter.. product..
That said it fits our needs, despite the misleading advertising/namings.
That's not correct, WPU/WBPU's are most certainly urethane.

They retain the Plyurethane laminating adhesive, but replace the oil-based solvents with water-based solvents

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedL...romPage=GetDoc
Nov 10, 2018, 10:40 PM
Rudder Only Lover
The WBPU smell reminds me of commercial grade acrylic floor wax, may be a derivative product, one of the other or vice versa.
Nov 10, 2018, 10:55 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr
The WBPU smell reminds me of commercial grade acrylic floor wax, may be a derivative product, one of the other or vice versa.
Commercial grade acrylic floor wax typically is one type of WBPU.

We tend to use the name for an entire family of chemicals for a couple specific products. There are many WBPU's other than the Polycrylic product line.
Nov 11, 2018, 04:08 PM
Thread OP

are they all fuelproof?

Since here in Europe the brands are different knowing the active components s usefull
Nov 11, 2018, 04:11 PM
Quote:
are they all fuelproof?
WB Polyurethane is fuel proof after its cured.
Nov 11, 2018, 04:51 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Commercial grade acrylic floor wax typically is one type of WBPU. We tend to use the name for an entire family of chemicals for a couple specific products. There are many WBPU's other than the Polycrylic product line.
Actually, I should have mentioned but it is my Polycrilic varnish aroma, which oddly enough did smell like acrylic floor wax. I'd almost say that if I knew what acrylic floor wax product to get that was or behaved the same, I could save quite a bit "going generic".
Nov 11, 2018, 11:24 PM
So would any of the Krylon spray paints work?
Nov 12, 2018, 08:36 AM
Not sure about the Krylon, but Future floor wax is the brand that I have heard of using. I forget the app, maybe for foamies, maybe for silkspan. It is the clear stuff though.
Nov 12, 2018, 10:02 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed
Not sure about the Krylon, but Future floor wax is the brand that I have heard of using. I forget the app, maybe for foamies, maybe for silkspan. It is the clear stuff though.
Future is the greatest stuff for canopies.

Never tried it as a fuel-proofing solution though.
Dec 25, 2018, 08:16 AM
Planes N' Trains
fuel will not eat up DTFB. in fact, ive flown a few models made from DTFB, one being the ft mini scout with a peewee .020. the foam holds up fine, but it will soak up the exhaust like a sponge ad the paper will come unglued and wont stick to anything. glow flite test planes are fun projects, but by no means long term.

Quick Reply